Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone else hate Thursdays?
Previous  1  2

STMommy

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:33 pm
tichellady wrote:
Sounds great! I am actually ready for shabbos by Thursday night because I work on Friday and exercise after work. I think I would be happier if I could spread things out between Thursday and Friday.

Me too! The only thing I can do Friday is put up the cholent and put the food I've cooked the night before up to warm. No other choice, because I work till 3:30 Fridays year-round, including when Shabbos starts at 4:10, but kudos to those ladies who pat themselves on the back for having Shabbos done by chatzos on Friday so they can spend "a few hours on Friday to take a nap or go visiting or do what u want".
Rolling Eyes

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:36 pm
I actually love Thursday and HATE Sundays. I need my routine . Sunday is always a shleppy off schedule day. Kids home, yeshiva starts late, etc....

farm

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:37 pm
I actually love the frenzy of the last hour before Shabbos, putting the finishing touches on everything.

farm

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:42 pm
Tichel, I love leaving work on Thursday knowing that although I have a busy night of cooking ahead of me and will not be getting anywhere near enough sleep, I just have Friday morning to push through and then 2 amazing days of sleep and family time. I used to dread the insane amount of things that need to get done Thursday night and the crazy fog of Friday morning zombie exhaustion but I have reframed it and I seriously look forward to it all week. One more day til shabbos! Less than 24hours from now it will be shabbos! It also helps that I treat myself to a yummy iced coffee only on Friday mornings!

Last edited by farm on Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

sleepybeauty

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:42 pm
tichellady wrote:
I think I'm also learning that working + having the bulk of household responsibilities is not so realistic for me. I'm just not super efficient and I require too much sleep to actually get everything done at my speed . We might need to get more cleaning help or takeout because my husband's work hours are not likely to become shorter

It's not realistic for anyone. You can't do it all and still be happy and relaxed. Something has to give. If you can get the cleaning help and/or takeout, it is for sure worth it!

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:49 pm
yogabird wrote:
I totally relate. I crash almost every Thursday just from feeling overwhelmed. And I can't for the life of me figure out how people make supper for Thursday night if they're also cooking for Shabbos.

Chicken and potatoes and sliced carrots in the oven - one pan. Some salt, pepper, paprika and water. Takes less than five minutes. Leave it to bake covered in oven for anywhere from 1-3 hours. Same supper every single Thursday.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
What time do you start cooking on Thursdays and about how long does it take? I would love to do everything on Thursday but if I don't sleep my Friday would be miserable.

First of all I don't bake, at all.
Secondly I sometimes make doubles and freeze.
I make simple meals.
Roast, rice, stringbeans, mushroom, baked chicken, nothing too complicated.
The top dish that ppl eat on Thursday night, is what I usually serve Shabbos Day with some rice, salads, fish.
Complicated stuff I leave for when I have time off, and then I make a big batch and freeze.
I start cooking about 7pm finish 12:30 -1, DH and kids help.
I make a list and just go down the list.
I leave the kitchen like a tornado hit it and let the maid deal with it the next day.
Friday's I work till 12:00, not in the summer.
When I come home I relax as much as I can.
The maid cleans and sets the table.
I heat up the food Erev Shabbos.
The kids serve and clear Friday night and Shabbos day.

BTW, If I had to cook and clean I wouldn't be able to do it.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
First of all I don't bake, at all.
Secondly I sometimes make doubles and freeze.
I make simple meals.
Roast, rice, stringbeans, mushroom, baked chicken, nothing too complicated.
The top dish that ppl eat on Thursday night, is what I usually serve Shabbos Day with some rice, salads, fish.
Complicated stuff I leave for when I have time off, and then I make a big batch and freeze.
I start cooking about 7pm finish 12:30 -1, DH and kids help.
I make a list and just go down the list.
I leave the kitchen like a tornado hit it and let the maid deal with it the next day.
Friday's I work till 12:00, not in the summer.
When I come home I relax as much as I can.
The maid cleans and sets the table.
I heat up the food Erev Shabbos.
The kids serve and clear Friday night and Shabbos day.

BTW, If I had to cook and clean I wouldn't be able to do it.

Sounds great! I really couldn't stay up cooking until 1 after a day at work. I wish I could.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 2:47 pm
As rosebunch said, it's all about organizing and planning, and I will add attitude and setting priorities. You can't do it all and have it all, so you have to decide what is most important to you and let the rest go.

You also have to realize that work expands to fill the time allotted. That's where planning comes in. I'll bet if you scheduled in some "me" time--15 minutes to nap, exercise, chill out, meditate, listen to music, eat ice cream in a closet, whatever sails your yacht--you'll find you cope much better and accomplish just as much if not more.

Also, maybe you're a morning person and would get more done faster and with less stress than at night. Try getting up a bit earlier Thursday or Friday and tackling something then. In 15 minutes you could peel and cut all your veggies, or set up your chicken with its seasonings in a pot or pan, ready to be popped into the oven when you get home.

And then there's attitude. Work on changing yours. The more you say you hate Thursdays the more you will hate them. Try finding something good about Thursdays. If nothing else, they are just one day shy of Friday.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 3:08 pm
farm wrote:
I actually love the frenzy of the last hour before Shabbos, putting the finishing touches on everything.

And because you love it, your family will have positive feelings. That's everyone's goal, regardless of personal style.
A lot of people who've checked out chatzos are more of being into the spirit of things than the letter of things, iykwim. There's streamlining, working backwards as far as figuring out a schedule, and making use of freezer space if available.
And while being ready early does free up time - I went from driving extra carpools just to avoid Fridays to actually taking Friday in my later years - there's still stuff to do. Houses don't stay spotless, kids don't stay spotless, stuff happens... but I agree, there's some excellent material and chizuk there.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 4:25 pm
I'm not looking for advice right now. Just wanted to vent and see if anyone can relate. This is actually the least of my problems right now, so got to focus on other things before tackling this one. I'm so happy it's Friday! I love the weekend. Have a wonderful shabbos and weekend and July 4th!

octopus

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
I love Sundays, everyone is home.

Some kids have school on sundays. some don't. It's hard to get things done errand-wise. And the kids in school will get jealous if I do something with the kids not in school. So I have to wait until 3:00 to do something with the kids. The whole day is gone before I even begin.

Sorry for hijacking...

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 4:36 pm
STMommy wrote:
Me too! The only thing I can do Friday is put up the cholent and put the food I've cooked the night before up to warm. No other choice, because I work till 3:30 Fridays year-round, including when Shabbos starts at 4:10, but kudos to those ladies who pat themselves on the back for having Shabbos done by chatzos on Friday so they can spend "a few hours on Friday to take a nap or go visiting or do what u want".
Rolling Eyes

why the eye-rolling emoticon at the end of your post????

these ladies who finish by chatzos didn't achieve it by a snap of their fingers magic. It took lots and lots of hard work, self-discipline, months/years of trying, ups and downs, trying out different ways and planning and organization, and MORE, and ABOVE ALL a genuine strong desire to reach this goal.

I don't understand your sarcasm.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 4:47 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And because you love it, your family will have positive feelings. That's everyone's goal, regardless of personal style.
A lot of people who've checked out chatzos are more of being into the spirit of things than the letter of things, iykwim. There's streamlining, working backwards as far as figuring out a schedule, and making use of freezer space if available.
And while being ready early does free up time - I went from driving extra carpools just to avoid Fridays to actually taking Friday in my later years - there's still stuff to do. Houses don't stay spotless, kids don't stay spotless, stuff happens... but I agree, there's some excellent material and chizuk there.

so, "PinkFridge," I see that you've tried the chatzos group or p'haps you are in it.

Of course there's still what to do later on Friday, esp. when one has young kids, and there's also ways to work that part out, but there isn't the last minute skedaddled mad rush and tumble into Shabbos.
And that's what I cherish.

Please note: I WAS NOT trying to preach or stuff "chatzos" down anyone's throat, or bop it
on your head.
I was just making a suggestion.

Everyone has a choice. Take it, or leave it.

and each person's choice is perfectly okay.

Smile Gut Voch

Raisin

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 7:35 pm
I feel like if I took on this chatzons thing, it would push the stress of cooking for shabbos a day earlier. I would be cooking shabbos on wednesday instead of thursday. I have other stuff to do on wednesday.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:
why the eye-rolling emoticon at the end of your post????

these ladies who finish by chatzos didn't achieve it by a snap of their fingers magic. It took lots and lots of hard work, self-discipline, months/years of trying, ups and downs, trying out different ways and planning and organization, and MORE, and ABOVE ALL a genuine strong desire to reach this goal.

I don't understand your sarcasm.

I'm assuming its coming from the way you have assumed that all people have on their plate is household obligations.
Many people work etc so what you are suggesting isn't even on the radar.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 12:15 am
Tomorrow is Sunday. Oh well. I will try to take it easy and not be hard on myself Very Happy

Sorry tichelady for talking about Sunday and not Thursday Confused

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 12:22 am
amother wrote:
I'm assuming its coming from the way you have assumed that all people have on their plate is household obligations.
Many people work etc so what you are suggesting isn't even on the radar.

In my post about "chatzos" I listed the types of women/families that are in the chatzos group; amongst them were working women.
A woman there with little kids says, "I straighten up my home from breakfast and sending my kids to school. Place the pre-prepared cholent into the shlow-cooker, and go out to work. When I come home from works hours later, the house smells yummy from cooking cholent. And I have nothing else to do but give my kiddies lunch and baths."

There are many working women in the chatzos group who have found their way to make chatzos doable. And not everyone is strict to finish Shabbos preps. by chatzos "on the clock" but they certainly finish much earlier (even by several hours) and Fridays of mad-rush is but a distant memory.

I actually also work, and can have sudden deadlines for crazy times and hours. Like one editor said to me without prior notice, "the xyz article has to be sent in by "yesterday" meaning - I have one hour to write a usually several hours article.
Or, I've had to spend the whole chol hamo'ed of Pesach or Succos working on an unexpected feature.

I know that in chutz la'aretz many people work on chol hamo'ed.

Here in Israel chol hamo'ed isn't a working day.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 1:30 am
tichellady wrote:
I hate Thursdays I don't have enough head space or energy by the end of the week to shop for shabbos, make dinner, make lunch for Friday, make shabbos and work. So I tried not making dinner and lunch, I tried making simpler Shabboses, I tried leaving work earlier, I have cleaning help now. No matter what I try I end up stressed and frustrated on Thursday. It's almost as if nothing even makes a difference. Can anyone relate?
At least I love Fridays.

I don't 'hate' Thursday but I do feel stressed to finish all my cooking/cleaning and laundry
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics