Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Man gets fired one day after disclosing autism.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:52 pm
http://www.autism-pdd.net/test.....1.htm

If this happened in my town people would be marching down the streets with their pitchforks and torches.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 10:14 pm
Interesting story. I want to see what else comes out here.

Although I think the firing was out of line, it looks like what triggered his being fired wasn't his disclosure that he had autism, but their discomfort with providing the accommodations he wanted.

Which doesn't mean they were at all justified. But it's likely not as much about the disclosure itself as it is about their inability to accommodate his challenges while recognizing his strengths.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 10:19 pm
I live in a lovely town where people with a variety of abilities fit in. I can't imagine the impact it would have on our local 4H program if reasonable accommodations could not be found for a member of staff. What kind of message would it send to our local 4Her's with altered abilities?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 10:24 pm
What's the story?

The link just had comments

shoshanim999

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 10:24 pm
"He followed an employee home one day". He's also "perfectly harmless". Maybe he is perfectly harmless. It's pretty spooky to be followed home. I think lots of people would freak out. Imagine driving home at night in the dark and there's a car behind you following you at every turn. You park in front of your house and the guy following you just pulls over and watched you as you go into your home. Harmlessly, of course. Sorry, not acceptable behavior. Hard to keep a guy like that.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 10:56 pm
Shoshanim, that comment (which I found pretty scary) was not the story. Here's the link that I found to the story being discussed:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/.....38086

MY, I totally agree. It's great that you live in a place where that's the social norm. Apparently, it would seem that Camden County, GA is not at the level,. What a shame. Everyone loses -- the kids, the adults. But I want to see the other side before judging. Maybe there's more to the story.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:31 am
Is Georgia a "right to work state"? If so, they can fire you for parting your hair on the wrong side. They don't need a very solid probable cause.

"Right to work" is very efficient at doing an end run around any kind of disability.

Also, "harassement" of another employee, no matter how "harmless", is grounds for firing. You have to maintain a safe working environment for everyone. Accommodations do not include tolerating stalking behavior.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics