Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Fourth of July, 2017

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 1:25 pm
Got back from the parade not long ago. Fun as always. And as always, I ruminate on the perennial opening feature, Jewish War veterans marching and driving by (in neutral). I have to wonder, couldn't it all turn on a dime... But I was heartened with the next group of cars and marchers representing a local branch of the Tuskegee Airmen. I guess at this point is it more historical? I should do some research and see. I guess I have what to do later. Anyway, the Tuskegee people perked me up somehow and I waved and clapped. I was debating sitting down so they could see me davka get up but it wasn't practical.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 2:32 pm
I was thinking that Smiling Mom's probably done some funky things over the years. Probably been in a parade or three herself.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=80
While we're at it,
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=100

I'm going to stop here but know I have many people in mind...

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 2:50 pm
I just got this story and I'm sure you'll appreciate it. Don't have the source, though, it came via email:

Happy 4th
There is a story going around about Rav Pam, that he had a minhag to display a flag on the 4th, on his lawn. One year his granddaughter from out of town was visiting them because she was in shidduchim and had a date. The boy was to pick her up from the Rosh HaYeshivah's house. His granddaughter went to her grandmother and asked "is there any way Zaide can drop the minhag for this year. I don't think it will go over well when the boy comes to pick me up. He may not appreciate it." The grandmother answered her "don't worry, Zaide is getting older, and he doesn't have the strength to put the flag out this year." And so It was, Rav Pam didn't have the koach, and there was no flag on display that 4th of July. The boy came to the door and Ran Pam answered. "Welcome, very nice to meet you. Would you be able to help me hang up my flag for the 4th, I was too tired to do it myself."
Rav Pam, held that it was a matter of simple Hakoras Hatov to display the flag... Have a great day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics