Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What to do with toddlers on these hot Sundays?

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:23 am
How do you entertain your toddlers on these hot Sundays? I can't spend much time outdoors - even if they are in the sprinkler, I'm not!
Ideally, my husband is available to do a family trip. Any ideas?

ETA, I know some mothers have errands to do and bring their kids with...but I try to dedicate Sundays to doing something fun for the kids...

Last edited by momof2+? on Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:25 am
Baby pool, sprinklers, splash parks.

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:30 am
But aren't you hot watching the kids for an hour in 100 degree weather?! Yesterday afternoon was dangerously hot to be outside for more than a few minutes. Is it just me?
and I guess I can go to a splash park with my kids, but its not appropriate for my husband to be there.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:38 am
Stick your feet in the wading pool while they're in it.

Best places in the heat if you don't want to be outdoors are children's museums.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 11:27 am
A beach umbrella, a large wading pool and a sprinkler on low. Position your lawn chair so that you are in the shade and your feet (or more) can get a little wet.
I like a big pool so that the water is collected, not wasted, and not ruining the grass. Also you could turn it off and just splash.
Inside, a trampoline and an exercise mat give lots of possibilities.
If you have a garage or a basement with a concrete floor, sidewalk chalk is good.
Draw a street for them to ride on.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 3:52 pm
Sunglasses!!
And a spritz bottle, you can spray them and yourself with water.
Cold drinks
Sit under an umbrella or in shade.

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 4:32 pm
thanks guys.
I guess there aren't too many ideas that I don't already know about, and my kids are toddlers and move quickly from activity to activity so I end up with kids needing entertainment at 3:00 AFTER we already went outside played with riding toys, went in the sprinkler, came in, ate lunch and baked muffins.
"ma!???? Can we go to the ice cream store!?!??!"
more ideas? or pushing it?
what about arts n crafts that are good for a 3 and 4 yr old?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 5:09 pm
How old are your kids?
Check out Alex little hands crafts kits.
Also water balloons are great we just got this great water pump at Wal-Mart gill the balloons outside and it has a gadget attached to make knots a 5 year old can fill and tie the balloons on their own.
Other have mentioned sidewalk chalk
Playdough and beads are also good activities for toddlers.

bargainlover

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 5:15 pm
Check our the water wows from melissa and doug

Boca00

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 7:23 pm
We like to stick to indoor activities as much as possible...
We've made a tent with chairs, pillows and blankets, Play dough, painting/coloring wooden boxes and frames from Amazing Savings, bubbles, balloons that you pump and twist into different shapes (if u don't have babies around), baking/cooking, cheap projects from dollar stores or amazing savings, etc.

If u wanna go somewhere with your husband there are indoor places like Funtime Junction in NJ that have climbing, slides and moonbounces.

Good luck!

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 8:51 pm
What about baking cookies with cookie cutters. Its takes more time and is more exciting than regular cookies. U can make the dough different colors and buy different toppings too.

Water Stones

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 9:13 pm
My sil buys potholder looms for very low expense and every Sunday the children make pot holders they give as gifts to friends, family, neighbors, newlyweds. She has 4 years old twins boy and girl. It's easy and helps for the manual dexterity" and the kids like it to choose colors and that it's gift to make someone happy.

Also she gives them coloring books to scribble to send the pages to family and friends. They like putting it in the envelopes and putting the stamp on.

queenert

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 4:47 pm
Momof2+?, I totally get you. Shade ain't gonna do it for me or these scorcher days.
We have swimming in the bathtub! I got bath crayons and they had a blast for HOURS cuz it was something different. Looking for some other ideas now to keep indoor swimming exciting...

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:32 pm
queenert wrote:
Momof2+?, I totally get you. Shade ain't gonna do it for me or these scorcher days.
We have swimming in the bathtub! I got bath crayons and they had a blast for HOURS cuz it was something different. Looking for some other ideas now to keep indoor swimming exciting...

Which bath crayons are the best? and what's the youngest age you think they're appropriate for?

Miri7

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 2:00 am
Midday cool bath bath for the toddlers. I got bathtub crayons and I put my feet in. The kids like to help imma by washing her toes.

It keeps everyone cool and contained.

ETA: just read posts before and saw my bathtub swim idea wasn't new. Sticking your feet into a cool bath makes it feel so much cooler!!

Last edited by Miri7 on Tue, Jul 04 2017, 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 2:07 am
Play music and dance together.

queenert

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 3:47 pm
We got the Munchkin ones for $5 at Walmart.
Can't compare, but we're happy with them.
The color isn't super strong, but they didn't even notice.
The youngest I'd start is as soon as they like to color and don't eat everything.

miri7, that's really cute how they wash your toes! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics