Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How could pre feminist women have thought...
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My grandmother was a fountain of such "wisdom". Rolling Eyes

I'll never forget this gem of advice: "Don't go getting independent. Men don't like that."

My mother thought that going to grad school would hurt my chances to marry. It didn't. That grad degree also paved the way to a decent job.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 11:53 am
"A woman should be smart enough to act dumb"

"A girl should have only enough seichel to know that when it rains, you open your umbrella."

Aaaaarrrrgh

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:06 pm
My father's SB tips before I got married:

Always look presentable and be freshly showered.
Never do heavy-duty man stuff like shlepping boxes and using tools.
Compliment DH on his dvar torah and never challenge or question it.
I shouldn't show him how smart I am so that he shouldn't feel inferior. (Though he is very smart too!)

I can't say I didn't Rolling Eyes and now I just LOL . DH always tells me I'd make a great man. I love to learn, love text-based information, would easily go through college. In the meantime, he's more of a dreamer, is having a hard time with his classes in college, and enjoys learning in a hands-on fashion.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
My father's SB tips before I got married:

Always look presentable and be freshly showered.
Never do heavy-duty man stuff like shlepping boxes and using tools.
Compliment DH on his dvar torah and never challenge or question it.
I shouldn't show him how smart I am so that he shouldn't feel inferior. (Though he is very smart too!)

I can't say I didn't Rolling Eyes and now I just LOL . DH always tells me I'd make a great man. I love to learn, love text-based information, would easily go through college. In the meantime, he's more of a dreamer, is having a hard time with his classes in college, and enjoys learning in a hands-on fashion.

You don't have to be a man, these skills suit a woman just as well. Why don't you go to college, and your dh can drop out and do some type of vocational school? Play to your strengths!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:18 pm
My chassidishe great grandmother read a book per day and worked in the family shop.
My Sefardi great grandmother loved that my mother had a PhD.
No relative told me to dumb down or not use my strengths because it would scare men. On contrary they said it would be pleasing to someone really intelligent and self confident and BH it was true.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics