Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6mth old holding his breath when crying

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:39 pm
And then fainting .
Anyone have experience with this

Dr said it's called breath holding spell and it's happens sometimes in babies and it will pass.
But it's very scary when it happens. Please help me

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:53 pm
yes very scary but if you blow lightly on his face it can help him. If the doc is telling you not to worry, you should try to relax.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:55 pm
I know the problem Is the babysitter is very scared and she is almost thinking that she can't have him anymore, I wiring full time and I am very worried what will be

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
I know the problem Is the babysitter is very scared and she is almost thinking that she can't have him anymore, I wiring full time and I am very worried what will be

it sound like 'this soon shall pass'. Have you told your boss about what is going on? Can you take a couple weeks medical leave? Worst he or she can say is 'no'.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:01 pm
I wish, he has been doing it since a few weeks old and now he is 6 months,. I just started new job so I can't take off... Also I won't be able to take off unpaid leave...

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:41 pm
It's actually quite common and really not dangerous. The worst that will happen is the baby will pass out and then come back.When I had a child that did this I found taking them outside or right near a cold blast of air - (a/c vent, maybe?) it kinda shocked them into crying.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:52 pm
DD did this. She'd hold her breath and arch her back as she turned purple, then she'd go totally limp as she took the first breath. She often forgot to start crying again.
Blowing or shouting her name didn't seem to make a difference.
As soon as she started I'd hold her forced into the fetal position so that she couldn't arch her back and expand her lungs. This would also prevent her from injuring herself and she'd start breathing normally sooner I think. I often had to force her into the position since her limbs were already stiff. I feel that she felt safe too.
She did this a few times a day. She just recently stopped. She's nearly seven.
It's normal just not super common. The most important thing is to protect the child since he has no control and to stay calm.
Ask around. Many of your friends and neighbors have experienced this.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:54 pm
Really my babysitter who has been watching babies for probably over 20 years, said that she never saw this before

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:58 pm
Iymnok wrote:
DD did this. She'd hold her breath and arch her back as she turned purple, then she'd go totally limp as she took the first breath. She often forgot to start crying again.
Blowing or shouting her name didn't seem to make a difference.
As soon as she started I'd hold her forced into the fetal position so that she couldn't arch her back and expand her lungs. This would also prevent her from injuring herself and she'd start breathing normally sooner I think. I often had to force her into the position since her limbs were already stiff. I feel that she felt safe too.
She did this a few times a day. She just recently stopped. She's nearly seven.
It's normal just not super common. The most important thing is to protect the child since he has no control and to stay calm.
Ask around. Many of your friends and neighbors have experienced this.

Really wow thank you for this, this is exactly what he is doing since a few weeks old.
My Dr is sending me to neurologist and cardiologist to check everything is OK and other bloodwork, and I will also take him to the babysitters grandchildren pediatric Dr bc she only trusts his opinion and otherwise she might not keep him.

Any other advice to make this stop earlier

And wow ur daughter did this till 7 that's kind of scary.
I can't put him In a fetal position bc this happens when I am not holding him. I usually hold him the whole day literally but I need to put him down sometimes to take something hot out of oven ect and he gets mad and does it

summer0808

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:59 pm
A few of my kids did this. it's very scary to watch but it's not dangerous. only 1 still has to outgrow it. he's turning 4.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:00 pm
Wow 4 is old, does he hurt himself when he is he faints?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:01 pm
Wow 4 is old, does he hurt himself when he is he faints?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
Really wow thank you for this, this is exactly what he is doing since a few weeks old.
My Dr is sending me to neurologist and cardiologist to check everything is OK and other bloodwork, and I will also take him to the babysitters grandchildren pediatric Dr bc she only trusts his opinion and otherwise she might not keep him.

Any other advice to make this stop earlier

And wow ur daughter did this till 7 that's kind of scary.
I can't put him In a fetal position bc this happens when I am not holding him. I usually hold him the whole day literally but I need to put him down sometimes to take something hot out of oven ect and he gets mad and does it

She hasn't done it in a long time, at least a few months. And in the past few years, it was only when she was tired and really upset.
I gave you an exact description, so you could tell the babysitter what to do.
This sweet angelic little girl has given so many people scares!

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:39 pm
I have one who used to do this as a baby. It was terrifying until we figured out it was breath holding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics