Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Tips on how to cool down in heatwave?????
Previous  1  2  3

Zeleze

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:32 am
Cold showers during the day

I do it in a few minutes, and don't even dry off to keep myself wet for sometime

salt

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:39 am
simcha4 wrote:
I really sincerely appreciate your caring.
We live in a rented apt. so it isn't feasible - I don't see our landlord investing in an a/c if he didn't do it in the last 2+ decades since he bought this apt.

We're living here 7 years.

and for us to do it, doesn't come into question, esp. that we B'H married off our daughter 3 weeks ago ...

I know people who rented an apartment for many years. Every summer they nagged the land lord for an AC. Eventually he gave in and agreed. Does he live nearby? Could he come and see what it's like in your living room.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:47 am
tf wrote:
Is it impossible to get an air conditioner? Are we going back who knows how many years? What's going on? Why don't people in Isreal have a/c nowadays?

Hashem should continue to give you enough money to live on, and have air conditioning with. No its not impossible to get air conditioners here, in fact it is very easy. You may be surprised to know that Israel is an up and running country!
But not only is it a cost (even on 36 payments) its costs a lot to run. And while most Anglos I know use AC moderately (I.e. a few hours a day) or even a LOT (keeping it on all night) we know many ppl who either dont have an AC or use it sparingly (Israelis and Anglos). We personally are not making ends meet but I anyway end up having the AC on for a few hours a day.

OP- not sure if this was mentioned- although an initial big expense (but not on the electric bill) ceiling fans (good ones like STAR) make a huge difference, especially in the bedroom.

Don't forget to drink lots and lots !

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:10 am
CatLady wrote:
This is a cooling scarf: https://www.amazon.com/JellyBe.....X4X9E

It has gel pellets that absorb water and cool you off. Many different varieties are out there, and I'm ordxering one for myself because my office is not air-conditioned.

So interesting! Would this be of any use if I cool it in the morning and send it to camp with the kids wrapped next to their frozen water bottle? They need something cool for the bus ride home 7 hours later.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:13 am
ra_mom wrote:
So interesting! Would this be of any use if I cool it in the morning and send it to camp with the kids wrapped next to their frozen water bottle? They need something cool for the bus ride home 7 hours later.

Just soaking it in cold tap water before the trip would make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be ice cold in order to work effectively.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:21 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Just soaking it in cold tap water before the trip would make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be ice cold in order to work effectively.

Thank you! I can try to have my older daughter take care of that before she leaves day camp but she won't always have enough time or remember. Could soaking in the morning, and then keeping it near the bottle, that I send anyway so they have a cool drink for the way home, work for what they need? They also have necklace fans that blow up at them.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

gibberish

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:23 am
simcha4 wrote:
can't one catch a cold sleeping on a very wet bed??? I know my question sounds funny considering the weather, but still...

We live in a hot climate and when our air conditioning broke, we soaked our pajamas before bed. It was a lot more comfortable and no one got sick or felt cold. We were completely dry within a couple of hours. Also, try to cover your windows during the day to block out the sun, even if it means taping a sheet to the walls.

ramateshkolmom

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:39 am
Anyone in yerushalayim, you are welcome to come spend the heatwave in my air conditioning!!! Dont know how I would handle being 8 months pregnant without it!!
But for practical advice, we have a strong fan which wasn't cheap but we invested in it because it really does help. And the local stores keep very high air conditioning so we spend a lot of time running up and down the aisles! Its our 'outdoor' activity these days.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 11:42 am
Evaporative cooling works for many things. Ever notice that camping canteens are covered in thick fabric? It's not just to protect the finish or for camouflage. You soak the fabric in water and evaporation keeps the contents cool. You do, however, have to keep wetting the fabric.

If your kids can remember to soak the fabric every so often, you can put their water container in a thick sock and keep it cool all day.

tf

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 11:56 am
simcha4 wrote:
perhaps I live in Terach's times? who knows? so then u all do too Wink
let me know if u meet Avrohom Avinu ...

there r people in Israel who often have to scrounge around for the 8 shekels for a bread to give their family supper!!!

I know a family where a prize for their kids is a ... scrambled egg!!!

Neeeebeeeeeech!!!! How sad that in 2017 there still is such a thing.

salt

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 4:55 am
simcha4 wrote:
can't one catch a cold sleeping on a very wet bed??? I know my question sounds funny considering the weather, but still...

I'm the poster who said my DD slept in a wet t-shirt. I felt I had to come back here to say... she got a cold about 2 days later. Nothing terrible, but sneezing, a runny nose and a little more tired than usual. Could be too much A/C or something else, but I wouldn't do the wet t-shirt again.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 5:00 am
For Shabbos, or when you don't want to walk around looking silly, try these:

http://hotgirlspearls.com/how-they-work/

It's a specially made pearl necklace that has a coolant in the center of each pearl. You store them in the freezer when you're not wearing them, and they keep you cool all day. I've seen women wearing them, and they are very pretty!

JLi

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 10:00 pm
Pulling down all shades at 8 am

Wetting the floors through quick sponga

When showering, put some detergent in the sink wash undergarment then hang to dry over showerhead. By the time you need your next shower, you're clothing's dry.

Any tips for falling asleep?
My kids were up yesterday until 9.30pm struggling to fall asleep.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 2:54 am
JLi wrote:

Any tips for falling asleep?
My kids were up yesterday until 9.30pm struggling to fall asleep.

I cannot sleep at all if I'm too hot. (Menopause is so much fun!)

The last few nights I've slept with a wet washcloth over my face, across my forehead and eyes. I just fold it up so it doesn't cover my nose. It falls off when I roll over, but if I wake up I can just reach over and get it again. Once that cool fabric touches my skin, I can feel my whole body relax.

Bonus, if your kids are feeling anxious or worried about something, cold on the eyelids does this thing where it sends a signal to the brain that everything is OK. It's a direct nerve stimulation. I learned about this in a parenting class, when DD was having trouble regulating her anxiety.

That's why you see people splash cold water on their face when they are trying to stop crying or dealing with an upsetting situation. It's actually a scientific thing to do, not just a way to wash the tears off.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 4:10 am
If you have the space, do a kiddie pool inside. Put your feet in.

orchidee

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:07 am
Best way to keep hydrated is with an electrolyte drink - make your own with water, honey and salt which helps cells stay hydrated. Google recipes for some that taste a little better...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics