Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ideas to stay safe working in strangers' homes?

ImaLAEma

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 2:45 pm
I have an idea for a type of organizing business I would like to start. Since this has to be done in the clients' home, how do you make sure you will be in a safe environment? Is there anyone with experience in this type of job who can advise me? TIA!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:06 pm
I work in clients' homes (I'm a photographer). Every time a new client contacts me, I google them or look them up on Facebook. 80% of the time they are friends of previous clients. Sometimes they are complete strangers but you can learn a lot about someone online nowadays. If they are nowhere to be seen on the internet (I'll google their email address), then it's probably a red flag and I'll say sorry I'm booked (only happened once).

rachel6543

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:07 pm
I don't work in strangers' homes, but just some common sense:

- Make sure your husband, family member and/ or friend knows exactly where you are going and what time. You can use your phone to text to check in.
- Have an assistant go with you so you are not alone
- Carry pepper spray
- take a self defense class
- if you're in a home and for any reason feel uncomfortable or get a weird vibe, just leave right away.
- same with if you're talking with a client on the phone or via email. If the customer is acting weird, being rude or something seems off, don't take the job. It's important to trust your gut instincts.
- Google a clients name before going over. Make sure no weird stuff popping up on the internet and the person is not on the relations offenders website.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
I work in clients' homes (I'm a photographer). Every time a new client contacts me, I google them or look them up on Facebook. 80% of the time they are friends of previous clients. Sometimes they are complete strangers but you can learn a lot about someone online nowadays. If they are nowhere to be seen on the internet (I'll google their email address), then it's probably a red flag and I'll say sorry I'm booked (only happened once).

Really? I guess it depends on your target market. In communities where internet is discouraged, a good majority of people don't have social media accounts. (And I'm guessing that it also depends on age - like more twenty plus year olds will be on facebook than forty year olds.)

For someone who lives, for example, in Lakewood, this could rule out a lot of good potential clients.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:33 pm
My friend is a home organizer. She will not take a job if only the husband is home. I think most of her business is within our community which is a pretty good size but not massive.

ImaLAEma

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 5:33 pm
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

mha3484 wrote:
My friend is a home organizer. She will not take a job if only the husband is home. I think most of her business is within our community which is a pretty good size but not massive.

I will start in the frum community here, but ultimately, I will probably need to widen my client base since I don't think I would have enough clients just in the frum community. How would you explain this to someone secular or non Jewish?

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 5:50 pm
I'm a personal trainer on the side and frequently train at the clients home. So far, I haven't had a client I never met in person at some point or is a friend of a friend.

Listen to your gut. If you're ever in a situation that makes you the least bit uneasy, leave. You have that right and freedom to do so.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:03 pm
In my residential and kitchen design business I go to many homes of people I have not previously met, and some are not Jewish. Getting the job via referral, or playing a quick game of Jewish Geography if the client is frum, provides some measure of confidence.

I do my hishtadlus. Look up the address, Google the names. I always make sure DH knows exactly where I'm going. Generally I meet with a couple or a woman. Outside the frum area I only schedule daytime appointments. Even if the clients are fine, I don't want to get lost in a dicier part of town.

I do not currently own a smartphone, but think that a GPS app that lets family members know where I am is in my future.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:07 pm
Hilchos yichud could be a good place to start.

My friend does something similar in our community and it never occured to me that her job might not be perfectly safe... Kudos for being proactive.

I like the advice to listen to your gut in every scenario.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:38 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
In my residential and kitchen design business I go to many homes of people I have not previously met, and some are not Jewish. Getting the job via referral, or playing a quick game of Jewish Geography if the client is frum, provides some measure of confidence.

I do my hishtadlus. Look up the address, Google the names. I always make sure DH knows exactly where I'm going. Generally I meet with a couple or a woman. Outside the frum area I only schedule daytime appointments. Even if the clients are fine, I don't want to get lost in a dicier part of town.

I do not currently own a smartphone, but think that a GPS app that lets family members know where I am is in my future.

This. Sounds stalkerish, but I think it's a great idea for anyone working away from home. YOUR personal safety is the number one concern.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:43 pm
Also wanted to add that if you're legally allowed to carry mace or pepper spray, please, please, please secure it properly so your kids don't get to it. It's not difficult at all for a child to open it and spray themselves in the face. (Even if it claims to have built in safety measures/features.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics