Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I lose 2 lbs every week and gain 2 lbs every Shabbos!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:01 pm
Title says it all.

I count my calories and snack only on fruits and veggies.

But then comes Shabbos. I should probably forbid myself from eating challah and switch to matzah! It's so easy to eat a few slices of challah with dips!

And if it would be a regular weekday, a piece of bread and slice of fish with soup would be a fabulous meal! But on Friday nights, next comes the main course and dessert!

And Shabbos afternoon when I watch the kids I get so bored. We have no friends in this neighborhood and I'd melt if I tried walking 20+ minutes to friends in this weather.

I literally snack on these long Shabbos afternoons to keep from falling asleep on the couch! I eat lots of dried fruits and nuts, so even though they're healthy, the calories add up real quickly. On a weekday afternoon I have one portion of dried fruit or nuts for snack and I'm fine!

What's worked for you?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:09 pm
Mint gum
Watermelon
Lettuce salads with veggies prepared before
Water water water!
Cut up veggies with low cal dips or chumus

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:33 pm
Eat just one slice of challah per meal, matzah would be even better. If you must have dips, have just one Tablespoon.
Eat one serving of protein in total. So you would have half a slice of fish, and half piece of meat.
You could eat one bowl of soup, but no lukshen or knaidel.
No kugel or any other starches. Eat lots of veggies instead.
You could eat a baked apple for dessert.

In the afternoon, eat the snacks you would normally eat. Dried fruits have lots of sugar, so you should cut them out. you could have lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Chew on gum.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 6:41 pm
EAT
LESS

Seriously -that's it. If you eat less, you will not gain as much weight.

Eat fewer calories. Switch to matzah.

Small piece of fish - it's very caloric.

Only fat-free dips: tomato/salsa

As much chicken soup as you like, assuming you skimmed it, but no matzah balls, croutons, etc.

Main course = small portions of chicken/meat, veggie kugel instead of potato kugel...c'mon, you're not that hungry at this point and you know it. Eat salads as fillers.

Shabos day: matzah, small pc fish, HUGE salad, small portion cholent.

STOP SNACKING! Just eat at meals.

If you must snack, eat veggie sticks, not dried fruit/nuts....You know that's super caloric; why are you self-sabotaging?

LOTS of water, drinks, ice pops (low cal/sugar free), etc.

Good luck.

imeinu

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 7:01 pm
for the long afternoons low calorie ices are good. and they take time to eat.
also melon, popcorn, and fresh fruit.

friday nite have 2 bowls of skimmed chicken soup. you will feel more full and eat less at the meal.

shabbos day, make a large deli salad with lowfat dressing.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
Mint gum
Watermelon
Lettuce salads with veggies prepared before
Water water water!
Cut up veggies with low cal dips or chumus

These were the things I was going to suggest snacking on in the afternoon. Nuts are good for you but only in moderation. The calories from them add up fast.

max

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 2:49 am
I used to gain closer to 4 pounds from Friday night until Monday morning when I would furiously restart my diet but how I stopped was by making produce the focal point of all my meals and eating the fish and chicken and meat in 4 oz portion sizes and snacking only on fresh fruit eliminated dry fruit because weight watchers taught me I could eat unlimited fresh fruit but a tiny amount of dry fruit really contained a large amount of points. Took me a while to believe I could eat the entire bunch of grapes for zero points but it has worked for me also lots of watermelon you will be too full to eat too much at the meal.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:48 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Eat just one slice of challah per meal, matzah would be even better. If you must have dips, have just one Tablespoon.
Eat one serving of protein in total. So you would have half a slice of fish, and half piece of meat.
You could eat one bowl of soup, but no lukshen or knaidel.
No kugel or any other starches. Eat lots of veggies instead.
You could eat a baked apple for dessert.

In the afternoon, eat the snacks you would normally eat. Dried fruits have lots of sugar, so you should cut them out. you could have lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Chew on gum.

This. Dh knows to give me the biggest slice of challah from the pile. I only eat one even if it's a little big but it has to be just one. 3 teaspoons dips only so I think long and hard about which ones I'm putting on my plate before starting the challah.
1 serving protein so either 1 full size or 1/2 of fish and half of meat/chicken.
Make lots of different vegetables to munch on especially for Friday afternoon before shabbos and shabbos day. A fresh salad plus roasted green beans and also fat free broccoli kugel. Add whatever strikes your fancy.
Shabbos morning I make sure to eat a real breakfast otherwise it's all downhill from there. Even if I eat the breakfast 1 hour before the meal it has to happen.
Fruits for afternoon. Proper snacks like popcorn in ready sealed portioned bags. Sugar free ice pops.
Either shalosh seudos or melave malka not both. Proper meal.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 3:59 am
amother wrote:
And Shabbos afternoon when I watch the kids I get so bored. We have no friends in this neighborhood and I'd melt if I tried walking 20+ minutes to friends in this weather.

I take a walk early shabbos morning before it's too hot. It feels good to start my day that way.

amother wrote:
literally snack on these long Shabbos afternoons to keep from falling asleep on the couch!

What's wrong with falling asleep on the couch? I do it every shabbos afternoon over the magazine I'm reading.

Annon because you might see me walking at 8am Shabbos morning.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 4:31 am
What's s good breakfast for Shabbos morning?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 5:37 am
I stopped serving dips altogether. I don't see why they are needed when there is so much food. We really don't miss it.

On friday night in the summer, I add pieces of chicken to the soup, lukshen (udon noodle or brown rice lo-mein), and vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms, etc.) It's a full meal. Everyone can have doubles, triples, etc., but I do not serve anything afterward. There is no need for it. We've gotten used to this, and are never hungry after the meal.

It may sound sacrilegious, but it really is our oneg shabbos. We do not feel we are missing anything. We make early shabbos, but still this works for us. I encourage others to try this.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:08 am
Revamp your typical Shabbat menu.
That's the only way to do it.

You have a choice of 1 regular size protein and 1 tiny.
The rest of the meal should be produce, raw and cooked with minimal fat.
From now on only homemade veggie kugel only low carb veggie eggwhites and spices. Chicken soup with veggies.

Don't eat less volume, eat smarter.

Snack only on veggies, not even fruit, leave fruit for either breakfast or right after lunch as dessert.

You can make low calorie dips that has less than 100cal. a cup full
For example eggplant babaganush mash the eggplant put in lots of garlic and other spices and minimal Mayo or none. This is yummy with celery sticks.Use this as your snack and you have a big portion for less than 120 calories.
How much nuts is 120 cal? Not much. GET THE NUTS AND DRIED FRUIT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE. NOT EVEN THE KIDS NEED IT.
SF jello, lemon tea ices (homemade with sweetner) are calorie free.

Eat Seuda Shelishit so you have a full meal at 5-6 pm.

Must you have Melava Malka, I usually just have tea since I don't eat past 6 pm except for Friday night , but if you plan your calories correctly you can have a full meal.

Plan to eat about 300- 350 cal. each meal, and 2 large snack of 100 cal. each.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 6:23 am
There is a diet called intermittent fasting or the 5:2 diet that works well with overeating on shabbos. You can eat normally (within your TDEE - ie about 2000 calories) 5 days a week and restrict yourself to 500-600 calories on 2 days. If I stick to about 1800 calories on weekdays I don't watch what I am eating on shabbos and still lose weight. I also walk and exercise a fair amount...you will see what works for you. This week I wasn't that careful and only lost half a pound but I've lost a pound most weeks.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 07 2017, 11:50 am
I count my intended calories for shabbos on friday and log them into myfitnesspal.

I don't stick to 100%, but mostly I do. I also make rolls for shabbos and have one roll per meal, no slices, so I can portion control the challa

I don't buy or make desserts that I cant control myself around. I don't bring treats or candy that are way too tempting. For the kids I get things I don't especially like--bakery cookies, marshmallows, pareve ice cream

WastingTime

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 1:07 pm
I know dips are the "in thing" and although we live in Israel, where the Israeli version (I.e. salatim) were always the "in thing" we don't have much more than chummus. But if dips are fat based, they can really ad up quickly! Does your family need these dips? I try to not make things that I can't avoid if possible. Its true that what would be a normal meal during the week, is just first course on Shabbos! I try not to eat fish and soup and main, although it is hard.
Shabbos lunch I make a big lettuce based salads with "extras"- sauteed mushrooms or sweet potatoes for example, and even some toppings (craisins, almonds, sunflower seeds) if you don't overdo it, and dress lightly, that can be the main meal with grilled chicken on top or something of the sort. Afternoons I usually eat fruit, but I generally do sleep a while. I like diet soda with ice when I feel like noshing.

Raisin

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 4:12 pm
WastingTime wrote:
I know dips are the "in thing" and although we live in Israel, where the Israeli version (I.e. salatim) were always the "in thing" we don't have much more than chummus. But if dips are fat based, they can really ad up quickly! Does your family need these dips? I try to not make things that I can't avoid if possible. Its true that what would be a normal meal during the week, is just first course on Shabbos! I try not to eat fish and soup and main, although it is hard.
Shabbos lunch I make a big lettuce based salads with "extras"- sauteed mushrooms or sweet potatoes for example, and even some toppings (craisins, almonds, sunflower seeds) if you don't overdo it, and dress lightly, that can be the main meal with grilled chicken on top or something of the sort. Afternoons I usually eat fruit, but I generally do sleep a while. I like diet soda with ice when I feel like noshing.

there are definitely fat free dips. Eg chatzilim without any mayo or techina. Or morrocan carrots.
Other eggplant dips can be made fat free or low fat. I don't actually eat dips much in any case but I eat too much challah alone.

I made roast red cabbage this week and it was very popular. Mixed with other roast veggies as well (pepper, sweet potato, etc)

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jul 08 2017, 7:17 pm
Isn't this just called maintaining your weight?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise