Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Men's Shiny Suit

Lion

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 5:18 pm
My husband's suit, though still wears well, is shiny as a mirror(well, almost) due to pressing at the dry cleaners. Any way that the shine could be removed?
Thanks

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 5:39 pm
no. get a new one and stop going to the cleaners ... a suit should be covered with a cotton cloth before pressing - something you or he can learn to do

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 5:53 pm
greenfire wrote:
no. get a new one and stop going to the cleaners ... a suit should be covered with a cotton cloth before pressing - something you or he can learn to do

Yeah, but it needs to be cleaned as well, not just pressed. And why, pray tell, don't the cleaners use a cloth? Don't we pay them to take care of our clothes? At wits end

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 5:58 pm
oh gosharuni ~ I stopped dry-cleaning suits when a baby's spit up mark reappeared within an hour of getting it back from the dry cleaner - it made me realize they just don't get it clean

I wash in cold/tepid water & hang to dry - when still damp I smooth the jacket onto the person - voila !!! then I press the pants the way I instructed above ... with a cotton damp cloth over material as I switch positions on the ironing board

ProudMommy3

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 7:15 pm
Seriously?! And they come out okay?!?!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 7:26 am
greenfire wrote:
oh gosharuni ~ I stopped dry-cleaning suits when a baby's spit up mark reappeared within an hour of getting it back from the dry cleaner - it made me realize they just don't get it clean

I wash in cold/tepid water & hang to dry - when still damp I smooth the jacket onto the person - voila !!! then I press the pants the way I instructed above ... with a cotton damp cloth over material as I switch positions on the ironing board

Do you wash it by hand or in the machine? I tried washing a suit in the machine at one time but the material got pulled and the lining didn't sit straight.

Lion

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:07 am
Hi!
Let's not forget my original question. Once we already have a shiny suit, is there any way to remove the shine.
My husband proposes using sand paper or a wire wheel with very soft bristles to roughen up the cloth.
Thanks

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:19 am
Lion wrote:
Hi!
Let's not forget my original question. Once we already have a shiny suit, is there any way to remove the shine.
My husband proposes using sand paper or a wire wheel with very soft bristles to roughen up the cloth.
Thanks

It's likely you will completely destroy the textiles. It's time to buy a new one.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:36 am
The suit is gone. Time for a new one.
For the future, hand wash pants and iron with a flat sheet above the fabric, to protect it. If possible, always purchase 2 pairs of pants matching to the jacket.
Spot clean the jacket as needed and give it in to a quality cleaners only when necessary. This should help the suit last longer. But suits don't last forever.
Good luck!

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total

myself

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:37 am
Lion wrote:
Hi!
Thanks

Not as far as I know but you can check out these suggestions http://forums.moneysavingexper.....73590

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:49 am
You MIGHT be able to restore the surface by dabbing with a solution of dilute white vinegar in water and hovering the base of a steam iron over the area. You can also try pressing it with steam and a press cloth. However, if the material is synthetic and the fabric is shiny because the fibers have melted together, there is really nothing you can do to restore the surface. Your dh's idea of sanding is one I would try only if you have already decided to retire the suit, NOT if he still needs to wear it.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:59 am
I've always washed on gentle ... in the machine

as for the sandpaper, good one ~ guess he's too much of a handyman ... rotflmm@o !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry