Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Poor eye contact and tracking

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:56 pm
I'm so so nervous! My 8 week old baby avoids eye contact and does not seem to show interest in faces the way the "books" about development say an 8 week old should. She's also not tracking very well. Please tell me how your 8 week olds eye contact and tracking was and how your baby progressed. I'm freaking out.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 5:23 am
Don't freak out, some babies do this earlier or later than others. But I think that this isn't a red flag until 3-4 months of age. Could be he'll catch up just fine in the next few weeks.

I would mention it to your pediatrician at your next visit (or make an appt sometime in the next few weeks) so they can keep an eye on it, but it is too early to assume there's a problem.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 6:17 am
I sense your worry and feel for you.

when looking at your baby's eyes do you notice anything else unusual about his eyes alone?

kdai to check it out with your pediatrician or what's called in Israel - "Tipat Chalav" a baby wellness clinic.

Could be his eyes aren't yet strong enough to focus. He is still on the young side.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 6:55 am
I had same thing with my baby. I even posted about t here in panic. Bh he started doing everything normal a few weeks later. In fact he consistently did everything later than average. So hopefully it's nothing for u either.

Kiwi Bubby

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:31 am
most likely he will start tracking soon but if you are still worried get him an appt to get his vision checked.
it could be just immature development of vision and it will correct itself with time. or your baby may need glasses.
for your own peace of mind, you should get his vision checked.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:35 am
At this age, it could mean anything or nothing at all. It's possible she has low muscle tone around her eyes. More stimulation with bright, shiny objects could be easier for her to see, and will give her eyes the exercise they need.

My DD has amazing distance vision, like an eagle! She has trouble with things that are within arm's reach, though. Glasses fixed all of that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics