Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Childrens books - where do I start?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:33 pm
For a really long time, I have this dream of writing childrens books. I keep thinking about it and coming up with great ideas, but thats where it ends. I dont even know how to go about it. anyone here that can help me?
these are going to be books with exciting and colorful pictures, and I dont even know how to draw. hmmmm.....

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:38 pm
Start by writing the story. you can get an illustrator to collaborate. Many, many children's books are written by one person and illustrated by another.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:53 pm
when I send the manuscript in to the publisher, does it need to have the pictures?

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
when I send the manuscript in to the publisher, does it need to have the pictures?

From what I've heard, yes. They will likely tell you to get it illustrated and then resend.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:59 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
From what I've heard, yes. They will likely tell you to get it illustrated and then resend.

Depends where. I've published picture books and the publisher always finds the illustrator. These aren't Jewish publishers, so I can't tell you if it's the same.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:59 pm
Some publishers will select an illustrator for you. Do your research before you submit anywhere.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
Depends where. I've published picture books and the publisher always finds the illustrator. These aren't Jewish publishers, so I can't tell you if it's the same.

Well I suppose there's no risk in sending in your story if you already have one. Worst case scenario, they say to get it illustrated and send it back. Best case, they find one for you.

Both my friends that tried to go through a Jewish publisher got this response though. For all I know they approached the same publisher, though.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 3:11 pm
thank you all for your replies.
we will see where this will take me!

mommy_r

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 11:25 pm
for a different publishing model - try http://jewishchildrensbookclub.com/submit/

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 4:29 am
I wouldn't spent money on hiring an illustrator before a publisher specifically requests it with an intention of offering a contract. Huge expense, and from my experience, unnecessary. I write Jewish children's books and my publisher always hires the illustrator. A lot goes into the decisions regarding what specifically is included in each illustration. Publishers of children's books will likely have an editor/art director skilled at directing the process. Good luck!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 1:50 pm
I work for a very well-known children's publisher and no, you definitely do not have to have your manuscript illustrated when you submit it. The editor and designer will match your text with an illustrator for you.
But please keep in mind that writing for children is much, much harder than writing for adults. I would consider joining writing groups to get feedback from other authors before submitting anything. SCBWI is a good place to start.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
I work for a very well-known children's publisher and no, you definitely do not have to have your manuscript illustrated when you submit it. The editor and designer will match your text with an illustrator for you.
But please keep in mind that writing for children is much, much harder than writing for adults. I would consider joining writing groups to get feedback from other authors before submitting anything. SCBWI is a good place to start.

Not op, but also curious about this topic. In what way do you mean harder? Harder to get published? Harder market to break into? I know that writing for children is quite different then writing for adults, but I can't imagine the actual writing is much harder then writing quality adult literature.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 2:16 pm
I do mean that the actual writing is harder. You have to say what you want to convey in fewer words and they need to be clear and concise. Especially when writing picture books. The text needs to be very sparse. Wordy picture books are often rejected. Picture books are only a limited number of pages, unlike novels that can stretch for hundreds.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 2:21 pm
Interesting, thanks for elaborating! I'd love to take a writing course on this topic one day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics