Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Piano for DD

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:13 pm
DD is 5 and has been taking piano lessons for 6 months. She starting to complain about piano lessons and how she hates it.
Wondering from others if they pushed their DD to continue and what the end result was.
I don't want to regret it later on when she's older.
Both me and DH are very musical but never took any lessons and we both wish we had.

dinatov

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:16 pm
As someonen in the music field I can tell you that everyone positively DESPISES piano lessons (or any instrument) when they start. There's no easy way around learning the basics and it's very tedious. DEFINITELY encourage to keep going. She's probably just frustrated that it's taking to long for her to get to the cool stuff. It takes a lot of time, but that probably means she's getting a good foundation. Good luck!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:20 pm
I disagree. I took piano lessons from the age of 8 and loved it. I remember once discussing with my music teacher and he said, unless a child shows a strong proclivity and talent and desire for it (like the music prodigies you hear about out there), he doesn't recommend lessons until age 8-9. I think 5 is far too young to push music lessons on a child. Let your DD run and play for now, and revisit in a few years when she enjoys it. She may simply not be ready to sit still and focus just yet.

dinatov

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:22 pm
That's true. However, it's normal for anyone to dislike piano lessons until they get to the place where they have instant satisfaction from their work.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:32 pm
She's already learning notes and songs and her piano teacher is very pleased with her progress and says she's a great learner.

Does that change things?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
She's already learning notes and songs and her piano teacher is very pleased with her progress and says she's a great learner.

Does that change things?

It depends on whether she's interested in continuing, or taking lessons only because you want her to.

dinatov

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:36 pm
Is she musical or just good at the technical aspects?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:37 pm
Has she done any sort of concert?
It may boost her to invite her teacher and some friends and relatives for her to perform what she has already learned.
Maybe she could learn a simple piece that her teacher could harmonize too.
The preparation and the positive feedback may be what she needs.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:44 pm
What exactly does she complain about?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 1:55 pm
She seems to be very musical and it would be a shame to not have her continue.

She doesn't like sitting through the lessons (30min) and she hates practicing.

She's very good at what she has learned so far and is proud of it. I like the idea of having a "recital" I will psyche her up for it and she can perform a song for her friends, she will love it!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 2:08 pm
She is so little!

I took piano lessons at that age and continued for almost 10 years. But I desperately wanted them (my older sister had them Wink ) so I was determined. The teacher didn't want to teach me because I was so young, but I guess I was convincing, and it worked out. I would not pressure a 5-year-old to continue, you might burn her out.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 3:46 pm
She is young, and it's not uncommon for young kids to dislike the discipline.

The performance idea is great.

You can also try:

- Talking to the teacher about having the last 5 minutes of the lesson be something she would find fun.

- Since you and DH are musical, let her spend 10 minutes a day being your piano teacher, and getting to run the show and feel important.

- Encourage her to find a song that she likes, and ask the teacher to help her learn it.

- Limit practice time to what she seems able to handle.

- Look for online/screen note reading and rhythm games, for another way to learn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts