Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I tell her her child lied?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 9:35 pm
A good friend told me with pride that her young daughter got chosen as first place in the whole camp for a certain talent. Her daughter and mine are in the same bunk. When my daughter told me about her day she mentioned that her daughter did something completely different than I was told and did not win at all.
(I'm trying to be vague in case the mother is on here)
I know my daughter doesn't lie and I know her daughter has a tendency to embellish in order to get attention.
My instinct tells me not to say anything but on the other hand if it was my child I would want to know especially because the mother is telling the whole world about her talented daughter who won, that the whole camp knows she didn't. The mother obviously believes her daughter. It's an akward and embarrassing situation.
What should I do?

yksraya

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 10:30 pm
Let it go. Not your job to burst the bubble. I get it that you feel bad for her and the child. I feel bad for them too. But I think it can really harm their relationship if you intervene.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 1:27 am
I as a mom would want to know. I think the way you tell her makes all the difference.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 1:58 am
Isn't there a camp newsletter? The mother will find out at the end of the week and then she can figure out what to do.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 7:53 am
Camp newsletter? Not in any camp I ever attended. I wouldn't rely on that. Tell her. I would need to know.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:03 am
If it comes up again, maybe tell her, "it's strange, my DD said yours did X for the talent show, and Y was the winner. Maybe ask a counselor? My DD's memory might not be accurate."

If it doesn't come up again, the moment may have passed. Others will come.

Personally I hate the idea of having talent shows with winners and prizes. It's much better, IMO, to celebrate everyone's talents without picking a few as the best.

In the meantime, such fabrications may come from insecurity. You and DD might be able to help her by pointing out her many strengths and good qualities whenever you interact with her, so she doesn't feel such a need to embellish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics