Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Opening a daycare\preschool

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 6:25 pm
I currently have a degree and work in an office and most of my job is doing the paperwork end of government programs. There is no room for me to grow as im not willing to work 40plus hours a week. I also very much want to be more on my kids schedule and I would love to be my own boss.
I have this idea of opening a legal preschool\daycare. I like kids and am good with kids and actually taught preschool when I was in college. My hope is to start small as a morah with an assistant and then hopefully grow enough to have four classes and to not be a morah any more but more run the place.
There are a lot of government programs that can be tapped into while running a daycare. There is a daycare food program and subsidized tuituon for eligible families. I am very familiar with government paperwork and programs from my current job.
My goal is not to strike it rich. I am just looking to make 50-60k a year. Did anyone ever look into this before? Anyone have any tips or advice for me?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 6:33 pm
If you know the ins and outs of the regulations and paperwork, go for it. That's the hardest part, getting licensed, approved for programs and maintaining that status.

cm

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 6:43 pm
Sounds like a full-time job, starting and running a school.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 7:28 pm
I run a daycare in my home. It has tremendous advantages for a mother of young children. However, it's a lot of work if you do it. right. Feel free to ask me questions.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 10:20 pm
There is rent, gas bills , electric bills, insurance for the building, insurance for workers comp, payroll, credit cards, bank accounts, dept of ed, department of hygiene, department of health for kitchen, dept of health for immunizations, lunch forms, there are rules to which lunches you serve, who are your lunch vendors, do you serve whole wheat, regulations how food is made , delivered. Everyone meeds certification. Furniture is not cheap
A desk $300
Cubbies $600
Blue ABC carpet is 900$
Four school supplies orders a year each one equalling $450
Paper order is $200 4 times a year
Papergoods is $300 ten times a year
Maintanance $60 a day
Are you still with me??
You still want to run a school???????
Its not worth it you come hone with maybe $6000 a month.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:14 pm
A legal daycare (which is totally the way to go!) will be way more than 40 hours a week at least in the first few years. Just saying. Its amazing though. Where I live, the legal day cares it's what everybody wants, they're in very high demand and not enough supply.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:15 pm
&6000 a month x 10
School month is &60,000 a year

Sounds like what op was aiming to make. And sounds like substantial money to me

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
I run a daycare in my home. It has tremendous advantages for a mother of young children. However, it's a lot of work if you do it. right. Feel free to ask me questions.

Are u legal? How many kids do u have?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
There is rent, gas bills , electric bills, insurance for the building, insurance for workers comp, payroll, credit cards, bank accounts, dept of ed, department of hygiene, department of health for kitchen, dept of health for immunizations, lunch forms, there are rules to which lunches you serve, who are your lunch vendors, do you serve whole wheat, regulations how food is made , delivered. Everyone meeds certification. Furniture is not cheap
A desk $300
Cubbies $600
Blue ABC carpet is 900$
Four school supplies orders a year each one equalling $450
Paper order is $200 4 times a year
Papergoods is $300 ten times a year
Maintanance $60 a day
Are you still with me??
You still want to run a school???????
Its not worth it you come hone with maybe $6000 a month.

$6000 a month is pretty good.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 11:44 pm
watergirl wrote:
A legal daycare (which is totally the way to go!) will be way more than 40 hours a week at least in the first few years. Just saying. Its amazing though. Where I live, the legal day cares it's what everybody wants, they're in very high demand and not enough supply.

Working 40plus hours doesnt scare me if I am my own boss. I just cant give 40plus hours to a company because I need to make my own hours to work around my family. I would only do this legally. Whats really scaring me is that I know there is not enough legal daycares but maybe thats because theres not enough money to be made. U need a lot of staff because its a low student to teacher ratio.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics