Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
How a gadol gives mussar

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 3:20 pm
This was from Yated, July 7, 2017.
A talmid of Rav Shmuel Faivelson, zt"l, would visit him whenever he could after he left yeshiva. The visits were warm and cordial but after a while he stopped visiting. When they ran into each other, the rosh yeshiva asked his talmid why he stopped visiting.

Reb Yosef explained that his visits to Rav Faivelson weren't what he was used to back in yeshiva...Rav Faivelson...spoke the truth and didn't seek to placate anyone or be politically correct.
[S]aid Reb Yosef...."Now when I visited the rosh yeshiva, it was completely different. Everything I said was fine in the rosh yeshiva's eyes. There was none of the fire and mussar to which I had become acquainted."
Rav Faivelson smiled. And then he explained: "Back in yeshiva, when I spoke to you today, I knew that I would see you tomorrow. Thus, today I could give you the appropriate mussar, because tomorrow I would be able to lift you up with positive words of chizuk. Now, however, that is not the case. I have no right to give mussar to anyone if I don't know the next time I will see him in order to lift him up."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational