Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What vegetable does squash refer to?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:48 pm
I don't live in the US and I always wonder what is squash (sometimes referred to as yellow squash) referring to in the recipes? Not zuchinni (which we call courgettes) and not butternut squash so what is it? And what would be used as an alternative since doesn't seem to be sold in this part of the world?

maapse

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 5:50 pm
I always thought it was courgettes

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:02 pm
Yellow squash is very similar to zuchinni

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:11 pm
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats.....33337

Zucchini is courgette

There are many other types of squash.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:11 pm
In the "heimish" cookbooks, squash recipes it refers to zucchini aka courgette.
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/s/1/m/000000/r/1554/he/Brooklyn/kosher-produce/kosher-farm-fresh-vegetables/green-squash

Summer squash is often referred to as yellow squash.
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/s/1/m/000000/r/1557/he/Brooklyn/kosher-produce/kosher-farm-fresh-vegetables/yellow-squash

cm

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:13 pm
In American English, "squash" has two meanings. Winter squash (pumpkin, butternut, acorn, etc) generally has dark yellow flesh and a strong flavor. Summer squash (zucchini, called "courgettes" in some other countries, yellow squash, and some variations) has white flesh and very mild flavor.

It sounds as though your recipe wants summer squash. You can use zucchini/courgettes or any similar type that has tender flesh and mild flavor.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:15 pm
tichellady wrote:
Yellow squash is very similar to zuchinni

Good to know. Can zuchinni always be used instead?

They don't seem to sell yellow squash in the UK (and never saw it on the shelves while living in Israel either).

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:20 pm
Is yellow squash a regular staple vegetable in the US? I've never seen this vegetable before, wonder how come they don't sell it here...

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:22 pm
There are a great many varieties of squash, patty pans, zucchini, crook neck, acorn, delicata, hubbard.

Just google squash images.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
Is yellow squash a regular staple vegetable in the US? I've never seen this vegetable before, wonder how come they don't sell it here...

Yes I usually saute both together for nice color.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics