Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby Names (Both Genders) That Have Alef and Bet

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:54 pm
Due with my first child in a few weeks BEH and don't know the gender. We are thinking of naming it after my husband's brother who passed away a few years ago; his Hebrew name was Avraham but I want to do something a little more off the beaten path. Here are ideas we have come up with so far. Do you have any others? Do not suggest Avidan- that one is off the table.

Girl:
Avigayle
Avital

Boy:
Aviad
Zeev

Gender neutral:
Aviel

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 12:56 pm
Chazal referred to Avraham as Eitan. I know that's not an alef-bet name, but something to consider?

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:01 pm
Girl- Avishag

Boy- Avishai

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:08 pm
Boys:

Avinoam
Avichai
Avner

trixx

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:12 pm
Aviva
Avinoam

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 1:43 pm
It's not about with Aleph and bet but how about 'achiyah' - meaning a friend of G-d (achi- my brother)

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:07 pm
Thanks so much everyone! Keep em coming. These are so helpful. I should've also said the other stipulation is that we are not doing names with כ or,ח,צ bc it's too hard for English speakers to pronounce. That really narrows down the options.

chicco

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:35 pm
Evyatar
Aviya

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Jul 15 2017, 3:18 pm
For a girl you can use Sarah because "ishto kegufo."

etky

Post Sat, Jul 15 2017, 3:40 pm
Avituv
Avihud
Avinadav
Avshalom
Aviram
Avihu
Avigdor

For a girl there are other variations of Aviva- namely Avivit
and Aviv - which is gender neutral.
Also Avigal as a variation of Avigayil.

OP, I see that you listed Aviel as gender neutral. Though it might be considered as such, it is overwhelmingly used for boys - at least in Israel. Aviyah is usually preferred for girls (though definitely not unheard of for boys too).

heidi

Post Sat, Jul 15 2017, 4:08 pm
I've met boys named אחיקם--as in my brother has risen. Just a thought.
OP, in Israel Aviyah is gender neutral
Aviel is a boys name as far as I've seen

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Jul 15 2017, 8:30 pm
It's a nice way to perpetuate his memory for yourselves though it wouldn't be called naming after if there is not connection at all to his actual name. Having the same letters doesn't really count..

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
It's a nice way to perpetuate his memory for yourselves though it wouldn't be called naming after if there is not connection at all to his actual name. Having the same letters doesn't really count..

This depends who you ask, please keep that in mind when responding, that there are different opinions about what 'counts' when naming after others.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 7:00 am
amother wrote:
This depends who you ask, please keep that in mind when responding, that there are different opinions about what 'counts' when naming after others.

Are you sure there's an opinion that holds using a couple of the same letters as naming after?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
Are you sure there's an opinion that holds using a couple of the same letters as naming after?

Yes, I am. Also, keep in mind, this isn't halacha here. it's minhag, and so it's not as black and white as whether you've treifed up your milchig spoon in a fleishig pot. There are many opinions about what counts, and why, and how much it even matters at all.

yael212

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 7:18 am
I love Avishai

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 7:24 am
amother wrote:

This entire thing is a complete minhag. There's nothing to "count". If giving a name with the same letters makes you remember the person, then it "counts"

shevi82

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 3:46 pm
For Boys
Aviad
Avinoam

For Girls
Aviella
Avital
Avishag
Ahuva

MyUsername

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 3:52 pm
Eliav

agreer

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 8:09 pm
I know a girl who was named "Ramah" (Reish - Mem- Hay; rhymes with Mumma) after an Avraham.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names