Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Weird behaviors by cleaning lady

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:59 am
In general, I think my cleaning does a good job cleaning my house but I do notice that she has some weird behaviors and she went once to a friend of mine and my friend ended up mentioning to me that she was weird. My question is if these behaviors are cause for not keeping her as a cleaning lady. Here goes:
1. She speaks English well but does not always answer questions (my friend commented this to me as well), like if I ask her to put linen on then she will not answer me but go and do it. My friend asked her if she wants lunch and after she said no and my friend asked again then she didn't respond and just ignored the question.
2. She doesn't listen to a few things that I say, an example is I asked her not to clean the dining room chairs and she proceeded to continue cleaning them even though I am pretty sure she must have understood me. She once asked me what to do next and I asked her to do something on another floor and she said "no, she will first do xyz on this floor bec. she is here already", which made some sense but seemed pushy for a typical cleaning lady behavior.
3. She doesn't take any food from me for lunch (I actually consider this a plus because it is easier for me, but my friend thought it was very weird and unusual since she didn't eat anything at all). She does take water from me.

I am unsure what to do. WWYD?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 10:26 am
I don't think it's weird that she won't eat in your house. I think it's weird when they DO eat in your house. People don't always like to eat things from other people's homes... Perfectly normal.

crust

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 10:27 am
My cleaning lady does the same. Week in week out. I tell her; This pile of laundry needs mending, so please don't hang it or put it away. I come into the washroom, they are all on hangers.
Please change the linen and do the floor. I find the linen done, floor not. When I ask her she said I never told her to.
And still, I keep her. Why? Because I don't have choices.
I would also be disturbed if someone works all day without taking something into her mouth. But what can you do? Some tell me they don't like to eat while working.

If you have a variety, and you can find someone with a more compliant attitude, then change. But if she cleans good, then, it might not pay.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 10:28 am
She does sound weird. But it's up to you to decide how much if others you.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:25 am
What nationality is she? Because I had an oriental cleaning lady once who told me they eat a huge breakfast and don't eat at all during the day (not sure about supper...)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:33 am
My, my mom's, my grandma's ladies never ate in our home.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:50 am
Maybe she has a hearing impairment and doesn't always hear, especially if you address her when you're not right in her face or speak quickly and/or softly. If she's deaf in one ear and you're standing on her deaf side or there is background noise, even just music playing or traffic outside, she may not hear a thing you say.

Just because you eat three times or more a day doesn't mean everyone does. Just because you eat in other people's houses doesn't mean everyone does. Just because your food is kosher doesn't mean a nonJew is going to want to eat. Your standards of kitchen cleanliness may not be up to hers, she may be on a very restricted diet for reasons of health, religion or preference, she may think your bread is baked with Christian children's blood or will endanger her soul because it has your religious cooties in it, she may have a cultural taboo against eating on the job or food offered by an employer, she may think you'll dock her pay for the value of the food she eats...she is not obligated to eat your food and there's nothing weird about her declining.

Unless you are dissatisfied with her work or have cause not to trust her (e.g. missing property, lying, caught her snooping where she doesn't belong, she gossips) ignore your friend. She sounds very narrow-minded.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:45 pm
What zaq said.

My cleaning lady likes really clear direction, and won't take anything from me but cold water.

I absolutely trust her. (She's chiloni, if that makes a difference.)

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 8:10 pm
I guess what is weird is also that she does seem to hear me and the fact that she listens proves it sometimes but she doesn't respond and even say "ok". Also, she sometimes seemed irritated, which I guess could also be "normal" but I have had other cleaning ladies that don't snap at me. For example, when she asked what she should do next and I said something on another floor then she kind of snapped at me and said she will first do xyz on this floor and then do the other thing (this was after she actually had asked what she should do next).

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 8:18 pm
Why don't you give her a written task list (I'm assuming a few things here), and let her do her thing. Seems to me she'd be happier to work that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics