Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Turning down an invite received via whatsapp

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:29 am
When I get an invite to a bday, kiddish or other gathering via WhatsApp I am happy to reply that we'll attend on the chat. But if I won't make it I always call with regrets. Now I'm making a party and the responses from those not attending are just a quick line like we can't come or hopefully for the next one. I feel so bad

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:31 am
Why? It seems totally reasonable to respond in the same form as the invitation.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:34 am
Why? They are responding in the same medium as they were invited, which is 100% correct. By inviting via this very informal medium you are setting the tone for the party and for responses. You are going above and beyond when you call to decline. That's admirable but in no way obligates others to follow suit.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 2:45 pm
Gosh - in my world people aren't always polite enough to sent regrets no matter what the medium of communication is.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:05 pm
zaq wrote:
Why? They are responding in the same medium as they were invited, which is 100% correct. By inviting via this very informal medium you are setting the tone for the party and for responses. You are going above and beyond when you call to decline. That's admirable but in no way obligates others to follow suit.

It doesn't obligate others to follow suit but obligated or not I still think it's the right thing. I made a small simcha at my house and I appreciated the calls from people who couldn't make it. If they couldn't be there it made me feel good that they took the time to wish us mazel tov. I wouldn't expect a phone call from every neighbor or shul member who can't attend my child's wedding, but at a smaller family/ close friend affair or a hostess inviting to a simcha in her own home, making that call is for sure the mentchlich thing to do.

DREAMING

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
It doesn't obligate others to follow suit but obligated or not I still think it's the right thing. I made a small simcha at my house and I appreciated the calls from people who couldn't make it. If they couldn't be there it made me feel good that they took the time to wish us mazel tov. I wouldn't expect a phone call from every neighbor or shul member who can't attend my child's wedding, but at a smaller family/ close friend affair or a hostess inviting to a simcha in her own home, making that call is for sure the mentchlich thing to do.

If the invite is through WhatsApp it's perfectly ok to respond the same way

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 1:43 pm
OP, I had a high school friend Janice Rosen who had very strict standards of behavior. She went lifnim mishurat hadin on everything related to etiquette and thinking of the other person.If she was going to be two minutes late she'd call you before she left to let you know she'd be two minutes late. She was miffed that other people wouldn't bother calling unless they were going to be five minutes late. She wondered why they were so thoughtless and I told her "because they aren't Janice Rosen. But they don't have to be."

And I say to you that whereas amother aquamarine is showing the highest possible level of courtesy and thoughtfulness by making a personal phone call to decline a what'sapp invitation, other people don't, and they don't have to. The official rules of etiquette are that responses to accept OR decline are returned in the same format and medium as the invitation was sent. Call to invite, get a call to respond. What'sapp invite, what'sapp response. Engraved invitation in the mail, engraved response in the mail. Sorry if you're miffed that everyone doesn't do what you do, but the "right thing" is to follow the rules of etiquette. That you want to take it a step further says a lot in your favor; that you choose to be offended by people who are following the rules and not following your "chumrah" ...not so much.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:11 pm
amother wrote:

It must be a personal thing.
I think, If u can't come, dont call me up with your excuses.. I'm prepping for a simcha I have enough things to do...

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:39 pm
I would personally prefer to receive notification via Whatsapp and would assume that that's the inviter's preferred medium, especially as she chose to use that to contact me.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:15 am
Yes. It's not polite to call to decline unless the invite was a phone call. It's annoying. Who has time for extra phone calls?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
Gosh - in my world people aren't always polite enough to sent regrets no matter what the medium of communication is.

My thoughts exactly.
Sometimes asking people to just reply "Y" or "N" in a whats ap or text group is like pulling teeth. Never mind email or paper invitations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette