Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Whovians, what do you think?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 5:01 pm
I must preface this by saying I'm a first generation Whovian from the way back daze. After all these years I thought it was about time but frankly my preference would have been an older female cast in the role. I'm thinking Helen Miren, Fionnula Flanagan or Joanna Lumley.

So what say you Whovians?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:28 pm
Helen Mirren wouid have been great but I'm willing to give the new Doctor a chance. Who will the companion be?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:38 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Helen Mirren wouid have been great but I'm willing to give the new Doctor a chance. Who will the companion be?

Ah yes Dame Helen. I do like Whittakers work, I think she will do fine. No word on Bill yet.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:41 pm
Isn't Bill gone into another dimension with the women with the thing in her eye?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:11 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Isn't Bill gone into another dimension with the women with the thing in her eye?

Dang how could I forget.

jj1236

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:42 pm
Does this mean she's going to have a male companion? I'm not holding in British television besides for Dr Who so Idk this Whittaker person but I wasn't a huge fan of Capaldi anyway I just hope this doctor is funny like the previous ones before Capaldi.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 9:27 pm
I loved Capaldi I was upset he didn't get better stories and I think Clara held him back for most of his run.
I'm not against a female doctor just curious to see what they do with it. I hope they don't go with a male companion though. That would make things seem artificial.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:01 pm
I'm so excited! I hope they go with companions in the style of Donna Noble's grandfather or that James Corden character. Just regular everyday people who are lifted out of their lives for just a little while without being permanently scarred as a result of traveling with the Doctor for too long.

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:03 pm
I don't want a female doctor! What I love about the Doctor is how brilliant he is, yet clueless when it comes to emotional realities, and it's the companion who helps him get that. That's such a male/female dynamic.

I don't like creative decisions being driven by political correctness.......

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:06 pm
debsey wrote:
I don't want a female doctor! What I love about the Doctor is how brilliant he is, yet clueless when it comes to emotional realities, and it's the companion who helps him get that. That's such a male/female dynamic.

I don't like creative decisions being driven by political correctness.......

So this makes you what kind of feminist, again?

I'll have you know plenty of women are perfectly clueless about emotional realities.

Now that's PC.

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:11 pm
youngishbear wrote:
So this makes you what kind of feminist, again?

I'll have you know plenty of women are perfectly clueless about emotional realities.

Now that's PC.

Sure, but that was the whole shtick of Dr. Who. You could recast I Love Lucy with an overbearing wife and a meek husband, but then it wouldn't be I Love Lucy.......

I guess it irks me because every year there's some opinion piece on Jezebel or Slate where some woman is offended because once again Dr. Who didn't cast a woman.

Let the writers write, and if their creativity comes up with a female Doctor, I'm all there. But if it's just "let's make the fans happy", that seems more contrived.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:13 pm
The doctor isn't clueless about emotional realities at all...he just carries around a world of hurt on his shoulders (literally) and he needs a companion who is still relatively innocent and loves life to remind him why people are worth saving again and again and again...male or female is irrelevant.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:00 am
A Donna Noble grandfather type companion would be great!
Each Doctor has a distinctive personality but the same memories. Also look at the Missy/Master theme. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens (as long as the writibg is good).

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 4:49 am
ITA with those who would have preferred an older woman in the role -- I think an elderly woman would be interesting, in fact. Kind of an intergalactic Miss Marple.

Did anyone else imagine Whittaker in the role and then think, "Huh! I didn't know Captain Janeway worked as a Time Lord before she joined Starfleet!"

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:05 am
Dame Judy Dentch, or the comedienne Dawn French (creator of AbFab) would both be brilliant choices, for very different reasons.

Judy is pure class, and Dawn is every dumpy housewife who can't catch a break.

I'd give anything to see either one of them in the role.

Now, if I could have my REAL fantasy pick, it would be Tilda Swinton. She has such an etherial, other-worldly look. It would add an incredible depth to the role.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics