Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you leave house with oven/stove on?
Previous  1  2

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:51 pm
I'm pretty careful about appliance use when out of the house. My father was a volunteer firefighter in our town and was prudently safety-conscious.

A few years ago I did some laundry and threw it in the dryer and went outside to do a bit of gardening. I smelled something burning and it was a smoldering fire in my dryer. Apparently the belt that turned the drum broke and the heating element for the unit kept running even though the drum was no longer spinning.

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:33 pm
Never. Ever.
I only use an electric plata on a timer for Shabbat and yom Tov. Never leave oven on or the stove. And for sure never leave the house during the week with either on.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:26 am
I set my oven timer all the time. I would rather the house burn down when no one is home.

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:30 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I set my oven timer all the time. I would rather the house burn down when no one is home.

That's funny.

My range has a relight function. It automatically relights if it goes out.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:06 am
Only the oven on timer. And I know of a family who lit candles and went to shul. Their entire home was burnt to the ground. Very sad. I'm also careful about laptops and phones on the bed. Really dangerous.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:01 am
Yes. Only the oven usually on a low number since I don't want the food burning.

sirel

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:46 pm
I never did with my old stove, because of the fire potentially going out and gas escaping into the house.
With my new oven I got a few years ago, if the fire goes out, the gas stops. so I would theoretically . though practically it doesn't come up because I dont want the food to burn.

farm

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 2:20 pm
All the time. I put dinner in the oven and set it to start cooking before returning from work. Put a big potato kugel in the oven for 2-3 hours and go out. I leave soup simmering while I do errands, etc.
Washing machine and dryer on while not home? Of course!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
Only the oven on timer. And I know of a family who lit candles and went to shul. Their entire home was burnt to the ground. Very sad. I'm also careful about laptops and phones on the bed. Really dangerous.

we used to leave our shabbos candles in the sink if we had to go out.

Lots of things can cause fires. Sad The grenfell fire started with a fridge. No one can stay home ALL the time. Invest in good smoke alarms.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics