Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 yr old son has a bad heat rash.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:44 pm
What cream can I put on?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 3:52 pm
I've heard people put on Hydracortisone, but be very sparing as it is a (mild) steroid.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:33 pm
I recommend different things for different kids, depending on his history, location of the rash, and age.

Safe methods for all ages, histories, and locations:
Balmex on itchy areas. It contains a high percentage of zinc oxide which is an anti-inflammatory and itch-reducer. Not magic, but helps quite a bit.
Vaseline on top of balmex for comfort.
Very warm baths to reduce itch and remove irritants. At least once a day for 10 minutes minimum.
Zyrtec (an antihistamine you can get from your doctor) if the rash is recurring and seasonal. Will help the itch and an allergic components.

Tips for cortisone usage:
If you feel he needs something stronger to knock out that rash, please see below guidelines for safe cortisone use:

Age: How old is the child? Small babies have very thin skin and absorb large amounts of steroids which can cause damage ch"v. If he is a bit older, he can tolerate hydrocortisone IF:
1. He has had no on-going history of eczema in the past which was treated with steroids for more than two weeks, occasional use. It may cause a worsening of condition if that is the case.
2. Where is rash? NEVER put a steroid on the face, the armpits, or the groin.
3. Ask your doctor for a MEDIUM strength steroid. 1% is worthless as you have to use it longer to see results and the length of use can damage blood vessels. It is safer to use a little stronger for shorter term.
4. ONLY use the medium-strength steroid for 3-4 days, again, never on face, armpit or groin.
5. PACK AWAY THE STEROID FOR ONE FULL MONTH BEFORE YOU TOUCH IT AGAIN or it can damage the skin severely.
6. Never use on large areas of the body.
7. Never cover steroids with any sort of dressing as this increases absorption.

momX4

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:42 pm
diaper rash cream works for my family
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics