Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
College textbook solutions - please share your advice
Previous  1  2  3  Next

maliza

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:56 pm
check your local library. you might be able to access a few of your textbooks via e-books (online accessible textbooks). you can also access professional databases for your papers.

if any of your courses are online, find out if the textbooks being used are e-books.

(Although I have used e-books, I admit to also purchasing used hard copies for many of my courses. I just like being able to read from a regular book!) I bought my used books from Amazon Marketplace. you can buy Student Prime and get your books shipped free within a few days.

The problem with using old editions is the companies switch up the page numbers and occasionally the material, a bit. this causes anxious students to purchase the most recent edition. It can get confusing when you are completing assignments. If the class is not overly difficult and you grasp the material, you could use the old edition without too much difficulty.

Dolly1

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
Biopsychology (8th)
Disability Studies Reader (5th)
Lifespan Development: a topical approach (2nd)

Plus these cheaper ones:

Angelhead (found at the library! Hurray)
No pity: people with disabilities forging a new civil rights movement (only $13 on amazon)

Sorry. Dont have any of those :-(

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:13 am
Another tip is to look for the international edition, if it's available for that text. Often it's the exact same book (lower quality printing, but just as useable) and a much lower price.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:14 am
maliza wrote:
check your local library. you might be able to access a few of your textbooks via e-books (online accessible textbooks). you can also access professional databases for your papers.

if any of your courses are online, find out if the textbooks being used are e-books.

(Although I have used e-books, I admit to also purchasing used hard copies for many of my courses. I just like being able to read from a regular book!) I bought my used books from Amazon Marketplace. you can buy Student Prime and get your books shipped free within a few days.

The problem with using old editions is the companies switch up the page numbers and occasionally the material, a bit. this causes anxious students to purchase the most recent edition. It can get confusing when you are completing assignments. If the class is not overly difficult and you grasp the material, you could use the old edition without too much difficulty.

The courses are online but I don't have access to the library yet. I don't mind reading some of these digitally but not the textbooks, somehow.

Fortunately it seems two of the required textbooks are not the latest edition. I'm hard at work comparison shopping on DealOz. It is a great tool for that! They also have a "sell" section.

It looks like I can find some of these used for less than the cost of renting. Thank you everyone who took the time to post!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
Another tip is to look for the international edition, if it's available for that text. Often it's the exact same book (lower quality printing, but just as useable) and a much lower price.

I was wondering why the UK sellers had such good prices. Is this the reason? I have never heard of this before.

At this point I have to be sure it will arrive in time.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
I was wondering why the UK sellers had such good prices. Is this the reason? I have never heard of this before.

At this point I have to be sure it will arrive in time.

From what I've read, they're cheaper because they're priced to be sold in different economic climates. The ones I've gotten were softcover instead of hardcover, with thinner pages. They came pretty quickly, but I guess it depends on the seller.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:27 am
amother wrote:
From what I've read, they're cheaper because they're priced to be sold in different economic climates. The ones I've gotten were softcover instead of hardcover, with thinner pages. They came pretty quickly, but I guess it depends on the seller.

Where did you find them?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:09 am
OP my son just graduated from college. I have 4 years worth of books in his room.
If you can list some of the books you need and if I have it, I can sell it to you.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
Biopsychology (8th)
Disability Studies Reader (5th)
Lifespan Development: a topical approach (2nd)

Plus these cheaper ones:

Angelhead (found at the library! Hurray)
No pity: people with disabilities forging a new civil rights movement (only $13 on amazon)

Reposting for another above. Do you have any of these? Especially the first 3.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:15 am
I just googled the title and international edition and checked that it was a reputable seller. I know I bought one from abebooks.com.

happy12

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:18 am
I also have 4 years worth of books - mainly business, accounting, or history related.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
I just googled the title and international edition and checked that it was a reputable seller. I know I bought one from abebooks.com.

Thanks, I ended up finding a section for it on DealOz. Oddly enough for one of the books it was actually more expensive.

So I found most of what I needed for less than rental price. The only one that's still expensive, probably because it's the newest edition, is The Disabilities Reader (5th).

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:26 am
happy12 wrote:
I also have 4 years worth of books - mainly business, accounting, or history related.

Thank you.
I'm going to need psychology texts mostly. I will keep posting each semester as I get the booklists.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:35 am
Big words.com

It compares a bunch of websites and tells you the cheapest from one store or cheapest individually.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
Thank you.
I'm going to need psychology texts mostly. I will keep posting each semester as I get the booklists.

Hey! We could use this as a thread to sell and buy our college books!! I also need some college books for speech graduate school and I wud love to get rid of my undergrad books as well as a GRE book...

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:58 am
I found that googling the ISBN # often brings up cheaper options

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 1:32 pm
Try textbook.com

rikki 1

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 1:38 pm
My husband has a big stack of books from his SLP course he would love to sell off.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:47 pm
rikki 1 wrote:
My husband has a big stack of books from his SLP course he would love to sell off.

Hey! I would love to buy his books if he has the ones I need... !!

rikki 1

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:51 pm
If you pm me, I can give you my husband's number so you can discuss it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics