Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Day camp "bunk"?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

moonstone

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 4:32 pm
This thread reminded me of some books I loved as a kid- the excellent "The Cat Ate my Gym Suit" and its sequel "There's a Bat in Bunk Five".

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 6:56 pm
Another quirk is when "being" is substituted for "going".

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
You're right, I corrected

From dictionary.com:
Mood:
a distinctive emotional quality or character:
The mood of the music was almost funereal.

a frame of mind disposed or receptive, as to some activity or thing:
I'm not in the mood to see a movie.

The reason "in the mood of" is incorrect is because the word "to" is connected to the verb ("I'm not in the mood TO SEE a movie"), in order to create the infinitive (to+ a base verb is the English infinitive form).

In other words, if someone asked "would you like to see a movie?", and you answered, "I'm not in the mood to" that would be technically incorrect, although as we know, commonly said. Again, this is because the word "to" exists as part of the infinitive verb form ("to see"), and NOT as part of the phrase "in the mood".

We use the infinitive verb form in other sentences that have a similar structure, for example:
- "I want TO SEE a movie. "
- "I am excited TO GO on vacation."
The infinitive verb form is often used in situations in which it is not the initial verb phrase in the sentence and instead functions in the object position.

Another reason that "in the mood of going" is an incorrect form is because the verb form that includes the -ing ending is the present progressive form which is made up of the auxiliary verb "to be" + the present participle of the verb with an - ing ending. There is no English form that involves the preposition "of" + present participle verb with - ing ending.

I hope that was clear and that nobody was driving or operating heavy machinery while reading this.

That said, there are tons of vernacular usages that involve unique or atypical grammatical constructions. They likely didn't start out that way, and are usually created through the influence of other languages. But that's just how language works.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
The reason "in the mood of" is incorrect is because the word "to" is connected to the verb ("I'm not in the mood TO SEE a movie"), in order to create the infinitive (to+ a base verb is the English infinitive form).

In other words, if someone asked "would you like to see a movie?", and you answered, "I'm not in the mood to" that would be technically incorrect, although as we know, commonly said. Again, this is because the word "to" exists as part of the infinitive verb form ("to see"), and NOT as part of the phrase "in the mood".

We use the infinitive verb form in other sentences that have a similar structure, for example:
The infinitive verb form is often used in situations in which it is not the initial verb phrase in the sentence and instead functions in the object position.

Another reason that "in the mood of going" is an incorrect form is because the verb form that includes the -ing ending is the present progressive form which is made up of the auxiliary verb "to be" + the present participle of the verb with an - ing ending. There is no English form that involves the preposition "of" + present participle verb with - ing ending.

I hope that was clear and that nobody was driving or operating heavy machinery while reading this.

That said, there are tons of vernacular usages that involve unique or atypical grammatical constructions. They likely didn't start out that way, and are usually created through the influence of other languages. But that's just how language works.

Wow - you must be in the mood of typing :-)

Thanks for this.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant! Salut
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics