Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is margarine still less healthy than oil?
Previous  1  2  3  4

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 4:20 pm
2GN wrote:
but what about sunflower oil? (not safflower) they claim it's better than canola. is it just a marketing technique and I should rather use canola (significantly cheaper)

I haven't found such great information on sunflower oil that looks better to me than the information on canola, so it's not worth the switch for me personally.
I use mostly olive oil and but also keep canola around.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 4:23 pm
amazingmommy wrote:
Ra mom, do you use extra Virgin or extra light?

Both. Cold pressed extra virgin for salads. Extra light for high heat and baking. I know the health differences but there are no good options for these things so I read the data and make a decision that looks right for our family.

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 5:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Both. Cold pressed extra virgin for salads. Extra light for high heat and baking. I know the health differences but there are no good options for these things so I read the data and make a decision that looks right for our family.

Thanks, I do that too. I was asking about olive oil for scrapes and abrasions..

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 5:29 pm
amazingmommy wrote:
Thanks, I do that too. I was asking about olive oil for scrapes and abrasions..

Oh! Tongue Out
Either one, it doesn't make a difference, but we prefer extra light because it doesn't have a scent.

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 5:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Oh! Tongue Out
Either one, it doesn't make a difference, but we prefer extra light because it doesn't have a scent.

Thank you!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 6:43 pm
I didn't read the whole thread. But margarine and canola are an absolute no no in my book. I cannot recommend anyone to use either. I would rather use nothing than either of those.
We use butter, palm oil, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil... if any of those work for you.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 10:02 pm
I saw in the news recently that coconut oil is not healthy at all and should be avoided. There was a study that showed coconut oil was worse for cholesterol levels than butter.

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/402719001/

The Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease
advisory reviewed existing data on saturated fat, showing coconut oil increased LDL ("bad") cholesterol in seven out of seven controlled trials. Researchers didn't see a difference between coconut oil and other oils high in saturated fat, like butter, beef fat and palm oil. In fact, 82% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, according to the data — far beyond butter (63%), beef fat (50%) and pork lard (39%).

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 11:09 pm
I have no idea how much a liter is but I looked up online and see the one I usually buy is about $7 for 27 oz
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking