Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Please help - scarf colors?
Previous  1  2

queenert

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 1:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

For the square scarf wearers, I have a few questions:

Tissue weight, or medium weight - which one wraps better for you?
Tied with tails dangling, or all tucked in?
If tails out, would you be interested in a bit of beadwork in the corners for added flair?

How medium is medium? Tissue ties really well, but looks a little too flat for me. But pashminas are too thick for me.
Tails dangling and definitly beadwork would be really fun!!! Great idea!

(BTW, I do both rectangle and square. I tend towards square in the summer b/c I can just tie one easily without a shaper. For me, rectangles need shapers.)

You might want to check out tichel facebook groups for different types of ties that are trending. I think turbans are big now, but they're not my style.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 2:14 pm
Since you are doing watercolor type design I would also suggest doing some scarves on one color, but with varying shades of that color, so it's stronger (darker) in some places and lighter in others. This would make it easy to match to clothes - if I have a teal top, chances are one of the shades in the teal scarf would be a perfect match, but the other tones would add some ore interest.

Boca00

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wow, all of this is SO helpful! You ladies are great. Very Happy

Without the input from some of you, I wouldn't have even thought about square scarves, because I've always worn the rectangle ones. It just so happens that my supplier only had square ones ready to ship as samples, so that's what I'll be working with to start.

A Satmar friend of mine gave me a tutorial of how she ties her square scarves, so I have an idea of how to manage the color patterns and details. I wouldn't have realized that I need to dye on the diagonal without her help.

For the square scarf wearers, I have a few questions:

Tissue weight, or medium weight - which one wraps better for you?
Tied with tails dangling, or all tucked in?
If tails out, would you be interested in a bit of beadwork in the corners for added flair?

I really want to make these special, so that everyone you meet says "WOW, where did you get that?!"

I like medium weight and tails tucked in. If you are doing squares you just wanna make sure the square is large enough to tie easily as some squares are too small...

I love the idea of ombre with fading colors or muted prints. Also I would be very interested in leather, stretchy suede or denim scarves- I know that's not the direction you're working on now, but maybe if you wanna expand eventually and offer several material options...

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:53 pm
Iymnok wrote:
But I don't see black scarves. That's just what I happen to have. That's why I don't wear it.
I do have some blue and beige plaid silk, I'm thinking if hemming it into a scarf. I'm just concerned about it slipping.

I have a silk scarf that stays on nicely with a velvet headband underneath.

Frantic, I love this idea. I'm not sure if certain colors have to be in- my wardrobe covers every color in the rainbow.

Definitely natural tones and muted pinks are trending, but I'm not sure how well that would work on a head scarf.

Can't wait to see your work.

LisaS

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 2:03 am
To me silk is a more dressy material so I would wear it on Shabbat. My summer Shabbat clothes are more pastels that go with white, and my winter Shabbat clothes are more bold colors that go with black.

Behatzlacha!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 5:33 am
My first scarf is halfway finished! I am having so much fun. It's amazing to see the different effects you can get with just water and dye, depending on saturation and technique. Even my "mistakes" are coming up with some really cool marbling and spatter patterns.

The beauty of freehand painting is that no one will know if you meant to do that or not! LOL

To answer some of the above questions, all of my square scarves are large, 93x93cm or bigger. Medium weight seems to be working best right now. I'll need to build a frame eventually, because the tissue weight fabric will sag too much once it gets wet.

Beadwork will be very light, just an accent. No dangling tassels or heavy beads, just a bit of sparkle. I'm still a jeweler at heart, and I find it hard to resist embellishments. Some scarves won't have it, and some will, probably depending on how intricate the dye is. I don't want to over do things (even though that's my first instict. Wink )

Right now, I'm searching for a source for gold leaf and silver effects, which will be amazing!

hila

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:37 am
I like my squares to be 1m by 1m (I have a big head)

and I prefer black and one other colour or navy with one other colour (say turquoise or pink or purple)

Can I be your first customer please??

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:17 pm
I can't figure out how to post pictures here, so I'm linking to my FB account.

Eeeeek! I just outed myself!!!!!! Surprised

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:25 pm
https://www.facebook.com/photo.....ype=3

Sorry ladies, it's already sold!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 5:41 pm
New scarf, waiting for the right owner. Cool purple, warm violet, and turquoise blue.

https://fb-s-b-a.akamaihd.net/.....8bec5

crust

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 5:56 pm
It's gorgeous!
It looks like a vague peacock.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 9:56 pm
crust wrote:
vague peacock.

Great band name! Now I'm picturing a somewhat ambivilent bird. LOL

I'm glad you like it. I have another one I'll be posting tomorrow.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 2:16 am
I'm blocking Facebook, do you have another way to post pictures?

TBT

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 5:06 am
I love grey and cream,grey and light pink,burgundy and black and olive green and beige. They go or look good with most of what can think of in my closet

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 5:08 am
Iymnok wrote:
I'm blocking Facebook, do you have another way to post pictures?

I can't figure it out! Every time I try, no matter what file I use, I end up with

[X Broken link] Sad

Maybe someone else can take a screen shot, and post them for me. I'm all out of ideas.

queenert

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:20 am
You can upload them to Google drive and share the link.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 20 2017, 9:59 pm
Scarves can be seen here: https://www.etsy.com/il-en/sho.....-name

PM me if you want an Imamother discount!

penguin

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 1:15 am
I found a gold leaf pen by Krylon at Michaels and Blick. Not sure what you're able to obtain or if it will work with your watercolors.

Gorgeous stuff, FF!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 9:35 am
penguin wrote:
I found a gold leaf pen by Krylon at Michaels and Blick. Not sure what you're able to obtain or if it will work with your watercolors.

Gorgeous stuff, FF!

Thanks for the info. I found gold and silver gutta at George Weil, and I can use it with a brush to get painting effects, as well as use it for an outliner resist.

I'm now waiting for a smaller frame, so I can do detail work. The large frame is just too awkward and wobbly for fine details.

I'm having SO MUCH FUN! Even my "mistakes" are interesting.

BTW, I also just ordered 100 cotton scarves, and the price will be much lower. Because of the looser weave the details won't be as dramatic as they are on silk, but I'm excited to see what I can do with them.

I'm also saving up to get more silk satin and twill scarves, as I find the habotai too fussy to work with. The heavier weight takes dye much nicer, and gives me more control. It also is a lot stronger fabric, so no fear of tearing. Habotai is like working on spider web!

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 10:52 am
Beautiful work!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels