Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What are your "MUST VISIT" restaurants in Yerushalayim
Previous  1  2  3

heidi

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 2:14 am
tigerwife wrote:
Dairy is for sure better in Israel. Also, in certain parts of the US, certain ambiances are frowned upon and might cause a restaurant to lose its hashgacha. In Israel that doesn't exist as much, you can have a cool bar or interesting scene and still be kosher.

I actually love the ambiance at a lot of the restaurants here-- Kosher restaurants in America seem a bit stodgy now. I didn't know about the hashgacha thing. Thanks for the interesting information.

trixx

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 3:28 am
Can't believe no one yet said chabba on yafo between the open and closed shuk for the best bread (they make the bread sold in the shuk) and fresh artisanal sandwiches

Village green on yafo interesting and very different vegan place

Fresh at Tachana rishona not everything mehadrin though

Cafe rimon is dependable for a good lunch, like Ben Yehuda location better than mamila

The falafel on Betzalel as mentioned. Also falafel place in Iraqi closed shuk which is a street off the main one with lots of produce vendors

Really depends on what hashgacha you eat, if only mehadrin do a search for that bc we've have these threads before

Re the food discussion, dairy is infinitely better in Israel, no discussion. I wouldnt bother eating meat there ever, NY has tons of amazing steakhouses and burger places

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 3:54 am
I was just telling dh that someone needs to open a regular American deli where I could get corned beef on rye or a corn dog.
I haven't seen this in years. Also the American deli salads aren't around.

The last place I went to besides sheyan was Entrecôte a few years ago. It was good.
But I only like to go out for something I won't or can't make myself.

etky

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 4:59 am
trixx wrote:
Can't believe no one yet said chabba on yafo between the open and closed shuk for the best bread (they make the bread sold in the shuk) and fresh artisanal sandwiches

Village green on yafo interesting and very different vegan place

Fresh at Tachana rishona not everything mehadrin though

Cafe rimon is dependable for a good lunch, like Ben Yehuda location better than mamila

The falafel on Betzalel as mentioned. Also falafel place in Iraqi closed shuk which is a street off the main one with lots of produce vendors

Really depends on what hashgacha you eat, if only mehadrin do a search for that bc we've have these threads before

Re the food discussion, dairy is infinitely better in Israel, no discussion. I wouldnt bother eating meat there ever, NY has tons of amazing steakhouses and burger places

LOL - I did! It's spelled Haba in English....

etky

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 5:32 am
Iymnok wrote:
I was just telling dh that someone needs to open a regular American deli where I could get corned beef on rye or a corn dog.
I haven't seen this in years. Also the American deli salads aren't around.

The last place I went to besides sheyan was Entrecôte a few years ago. It was good.
But I only like to go out for something I won't or can't make myself.

So, what I really miss and feel has always been lacking here is an old-world style michigs place that would serve American style Eastern European dairy and vegetarian cuisine. Heimische and decidedly not-fancy, old fashioned comfort food like: blintzes, perogies, kasha varnishkes, vegetable 'cutlets', mushroom barley soup, creamed spinach, potato pancakes, bialey rolls, noodle-cheese kugel, herring, scrambled eggs with lox, knishes, cheese cake, fruit pies, etc. The kind of milchigs food that was popular years ago, when pasta was either noodles or macaroni Very Happy
There's probably no market for this kind of place here. Oh well....

Studious

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 6:30 am
Never understood the hype around Cafe Rimon. I agree that Kadosh, Scala and Eucalyptus are great. There's a new sushi place called Sushiya which has very fresh ingredients. Try it out.

juggling

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 6:46 am
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gabriel. Also Darna, for a totally different cultural experience.

I loved the modern and exciting experience of 1868.

Lechem basar is good. Papagaio is fun, especially for meat lovers.

We had a great experience at Moses, we found they were very accommodating.

I agree that Rimon is not so special. But it's fine.

I'm wondering, too, what people think is so special about israeli dairy restaurants.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 7:46 am
El Gaucho - best steak restaurants in Israel (IMHO), argentinian style. The ones in Jerusalem are not mehadrin though (there is a mehadrin one in Ramat Gan)

Agas v'Tapuach - italian (dairy) restaurant. Food is nice, the chef is a chazzan from Italy and will sing amazingly if there's an occasion. It's in Kikar Safra

Any Waffle place - Waffle Factory in Cinema City, Waffle Bar in a few locations, Babette Waffle House (merkaz h'ir)

New Deli - probably not amazing if you are coming from a place in the USA with good kosher delis, but good anyway

Big Apple Pizza - if you just want good, classic pizza (and french fries at a pizza place!), this is the way to go

ally

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 7:59 am
etky wrote:
Angelica?

I was never there but I think it's also more modern cuisine?

ally

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 8:01 am
juggling wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gabriel. Also Darna, for a totally different cultural experience.

I loved the modern and exciting experience of 1868.

Lechem basar is good. Papagaio is fun, especially for meat lovers.

We had a great experience at Moses, we found they were very accommodating.

I agree that Rimon is not so special. But it's fine.

I'm wondering, too, what people think is so special about israeli dairy restaurants.

Darna is great. It's definitely an experience and I dream about their pastilla

ally

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 8:05 am
etky wrote:
So, what I really miss and feel has always been lacking here is an old-world style michigs place that would serve American style Eastern European dairy and vegetarian cuisine. Heimische and decidedly not-fancy, old fashioned comfort food like: blintzes, perogies, kasha varnishkes, vegetable 'cutlets', mushroom barley soup, creamed spinach, potato pancakes, bialey rolls, noodle-cheese kugel, herring, scrambled eggs with lox, knishes, cheese cake, fruit pies, etc. The kind of milchigs food that was popular years ago, when pasta was either noodles or macaroni Very Happy

There was a Hungarian place that opened in town with the Hungarian version of these foods...but it didn't last😕
These foods are becoming hipster in America... so maybe they'll make their way back over.

etky

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 8:17 am
ally wrote:
I was never there but I think it's also more modern cuisine?

It is modern (they do sous-vide and stuff like that) but with a heavy emphasis on grilled meat. That's why I thought 'steak house' though maybe it doesn't fall under that definition.
It's a chef's restaurant.
People rave about it but in truth I found it a bit pretentious.
Food was good but not memorable IMO.
Then again I'm really not a steak type of person so I probably wasn't the right audience for this type of food.....

etky

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 8:20 am
ally wrote:
There was a Hungarian place that opened in town with the Hungarian version of these foods...but it didn't last😕
These foods are becoming hipster in America... so maybe they'll make their way back over.

Great, didn't know that.
Maybe there's hope. I know that in Tel Aviv you have fleishigs equivalents of these retro type eateries (most not kosher BTW). Would be nice to see a dairy/vegetarian version in Jerusalem - though kosher of course!

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 21 2017, 12:10 pm
etky wrote:

Does Heimishe Essen in Rechavia not exist anymore?

ETA: it's fleishigs, but I'm pretty sure you can get kasha varnishkas and knishes as well as matzah ball soup and tzimmes Smile

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 9:37 am
etky wrote:
Great, didn't know that.
Maybe there's hope. I know that in Tel Aviv you have fleishigs equivalents of these retro type eateries (most not kosher BTW). Would be nice to see a dairy/vegetarian version in Jerusalem - though kosher of course!

Here are a few:

http://www.2eat.co.il/show_art.....=1745

http://www.eluna.com/rest/Hung.....s.asp

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re......html

etky

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:15 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Here are a few:

http://www.2eat.co.il/show_art.....=1745

http://www.eluna.com/rest/Hung.....s.asp

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re......html
t

Thanks!
Rega Matok looks interesting. I will check it out next time I'm in town.
Hungarian Blintzes has been around, in various and sundry locations, almost since I made aliya 37 years ago. I'm familiar with the type of food that they serve. It's very tasty in its own right but doesn't really resemble the old-fashioned food I was referring to. Even the blintzes are different.
About 35 years ago there was a very basic and unpretentious restaurant on the Ben Yehuda midrachov that served some of the things I mentioned. It was the dairy/parve version of what used to be referred to as a "misedet poalim". It was just called "The Vegetarian Restuarant".
There was also something similar on Yafo, in Binyan Ha'amudim though it was a tad fancier.
They are both long gone. Nowadays this type of food is considered too plain and old fashioned.
Does anyone remember the R.Gross dairy restaurant on Broadway,,near Macy's or Ratners on the lower East Side? THAT's the kind of food I mean.

etky

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 12:21 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
Does Heimishe Essen in Rechavia not exist anymore?

ETA: it's fleishigs, but I'm pretty sure you can get kasha varnishkas and knishes as well as matzah ball soup and tzimmes Smile

I think it still exists but, as you said - it's fleishigs Sad
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics