Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
7 yo DD, been to the drs- all say nothing
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 11:00 pm
I hate to even say this, but is there a chance she has been s-xually abused? I know it's very stereotypical for someone to bring this up on an online forum like this.

sleep disturbances, pain in private areas, anxiety, emotionally uneven, headaches and stomach aches, sleep avoidance... those are all signs of potential abuse.

Obviously hope it's something else and you find some relief.

lizard8

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 11:08 pm
Definitely look into a good OT who deals with sensory regulation. Read up www.spdstar.org and www.sensory-processing-disorder.com -they explain spd really well.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 11:23 pm
I knoew you said youve been to an allergist but was she actually tested?
My son had most symptoms you mentioned and it turned out to be celiac, by the time we realized his intestines were in bad shape already but B"H all reversed through glutenfree food and all symptoms gone. Please check for that! It starts with a "simple" blood test! Good luck

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 11:32 pm
Krohns, celiac , pandas , Lyme?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 11:33 pm
You can do a test for pinworm, my doc gave me a special sticky paddle . First thing in the morning you press the sticky side around the backside opening, it will catch any eggs. You might do this a few mornings in a row (get a few of them, dont reuse) and then bring to the lab or doctors office. This solved a mystery with one of my kids (also highly sensitive kid, I didnt see them when I looked, but he did have pinworm, despite repeated treatments )

yogabird

Post Sat, Jul 22 2017, 11:55 pm
Has she always been this way? Or can you think back to a time when she wasn't?

Re: pandas, updated research now uses umbrella term "pans" to describe neurospychiatric symptoms similar to pandas (anxiety (separation and nighttime are common) OCD, tics, insomnia, food issues and adhd/add/fidgeting type of behaviors, emotional lability) that are being triggered by a host of other factors that include other infections other than strep (can be bacterial, viral, fungal) and/or environmental triggers that include food allergies and sensitivities, or other environmental triggers such a mold, metal poisoning, toxicity etc.

Regardless, getting her off wheat/gluten, sugar and dairy would be a good start. And get her on a great probiotic. Therapy for the anxiety. Good luck!

Seriously

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 1:18 am
All the symptoms also point to pinworms.
Thinking they are probably gone may not be good enough...please be 100 % sure.

My son had irritability, difficulty sleeping, difficulty eating, and discomfort in that area

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 3:12 am
yogabird wrote:

Re: pandas, updated research now uses umbrella term "pans" to describe neurospychiatric symptoms similar to pandas (anxiety (separation and nighttime are common) OCD, tics, insomnia, food issues and adhd/add/fidgeting type of behaviors, emotional lability) that are being triggered by a host of other factors that include other infections other than strep (can be bacterial, viral, fungal) and/or environmental triggers that include food allergies and sensitivities, or other environmental triggers such a mold, metal poisoning, toxicity etc.

Regardless, getting her off wheat/gluten, sugar and dairy would be a good start. And get her on a great probiotic. Therapy for the anxiety. Good luck!

Please do not get her off gluten before she was tested!! You will not get correct results.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 10:27 am
Quote:
She has a type A personality and one dr said girls she has seen with that personality very often have symptoms in the privates, belly and head.

I just wanted to add that I find this doctor's comment totally bizarre.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:11 am
yogabird wrote:

OP don't take her off any of those food groups until she has had a full work up at the gastroenterologist. There's the risk that she has serious gastric issues which may not come up if she's eating a different diet. You don't want a serious illness that will affect her height and weight and hamper her growth to adulthood to not be diagnosed because of diet.
I am not trying to scare you and she probably doesn't have these illnesses, but please, none of this before the GI has done all the tests she wants to and declares her healthy.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:17 am
Some things that jump out at me
1. Diatomaceous Earth for any kind of parasites
2. Craniosachral therapy for traumatic release (or other psychosomatic trauma related therapy where the patient heals and can realize a truama and no one can put thoughts into the child's head) and sensory processing
3.eminiate food additives and preservatives and gluten (even if celiac tests negative)
4. Give a high dosage of probiotic
If you are willing to do more alternative things, I have more suggestions but thwse are pretty basic

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 11:46 am
Sounds like a classic case of pinworms for an extended period of time. This describes a child a know. The temper, the bad eating habits, the nerves. I would get a prescription for Vermox (not over the counter medication). Also once you treat that and if it seems like it resolves itself temporary, be careful to give the child extra attention, or the child will resort to complaining again all about those things because they are used to the negative attention. And treat the entire family even if it's only that child.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 3:08 pm
Here's who I think you should take her to:
1) Gastroenterologist - top priority
2) Child Psychologist - she could benefit immensely from some professional help for her anxiety, sleep disturbance, and maybe pain/discomfort management. As someone who has suffered from anxiety since childhood, home treatment with a workbook is just not enough, and a professional can make a huge difference
3) Developmental/Pediatric neurologist or Neuropsychologist - sometimes they can pick up on things that are on the intersection between psychological and physical

Also, keep in mind that some children are just more sensitive psychically thn others to pain etc. So make sure not to invalidate it (like if she just bumps her arm on the door knob, don't give her a lecture on how it's not a big deal like if she had fallen on her head), but don't give her attention for it either. But she may just be more sensitive, and that's how she is, even if you do find underlying medical problems, the physical over sensitivity may not go away (I speak from experience - I was diagnosed with all sorts of things, accurately, but even when they were treated, I was still more sensitive than everyone else).

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 12:31 pm
OP here

I do appreciate all those that took the time to respond, thanks!

It's been busy and haven't had a chance to look into anything yet, but I will reply in a haphazard way...

Has she always been this way? No not really... she was a typical baby- a little more on the kvetchy side, slept nicely (though maybe on the lower end), spit up a lot until 18 months old (no reflux, looked into it), never rolled over as a baby but did scoot on her tushy by 10 months or so, walked by 15 months I think, toilet trained at 2.5 but accidents till 3.5 and not dry thru the night till about 5 years old. A pretty easy going toddler.
She did have a somewhat traumatic experience in nursery though. This is where we think of the "before" and "after". She was the youngest in the class, but definitely within the school's deadline. A particular girl apparently was bullying her and got the other kids to do it too. I only found out about it by PTA December time. So for a few months my little tiny (she was small for her age too) girl was bullied when she was supposed to be learning and having fun in school! I was shocked and took her out right away. But after that her personality seemed to have changed a bit. Definitely not as easy going and clueless anymore. Do I know it is for sure from that? No, but in my mind that is the time frame it happened.

Temp of her room is on the warmer side. It gets the sun all day. We tried a few things to cool it down and it has helped somewhat. She complains of being cold often, though, not hot. She shares her room with two others, who may interrupt her sleep in the night sometimes, but more often than not, it is her who interupts their sleep. Plus, she is usually the first one to wake up.

I've spoken to her ped about prescription pinworm med and to the gynecologist, both said that the OT med for it has the potency and they do not use prescription anymore for it and most insurances will not cover it either. I've treated the whole family as well, when I had given the med in the past.

I can try other probiotics and/or floristor, but are there any side effects or things I should be aware of for kids specifically? She would not tolerate yogurt on her privates, unfortunately.

I will get the books at the library, thanks for the suggestions! I had read up about SPD in the "out of sync child" and a bit online already, that is why I know anything about it.

I had forgotten- when she was about 3/4 I had taken her to a gastro also, and everything came back negative. Celiac and other things tested. We didn't test her for lactose, but I did take her off dairy for a month or so and found no improvements. Over the next few years, she decided on her own to go off dairy for a week at a time here and there. At this point she doesn't drink regular milk (she doesn't like it anymore) and only drinks almond milk, but eats all the cheeses etc.

In my house we don't eat much (any- if it were completely up to me) candy and I am pretty strict on food coloring all in all. She eats some from school/camp, but she is very good at not having any red food coloring (orange, purple, pink etc), because that is my limit for them out of the house. Processed foods are eaten, but not tons of it.

I brought her to a child therapist and an art therapist, neither really worked out well. Maybe it was just them and I need to find another...

She was tested for allergies when she was about 3 and all was negative.

We thought of the unlikely possiblity of abuse in the past, but from our talking with her and drs and therapists, we came to the conclustion b"H that it must be something else.

I think I covered all the comments and questions.

Thank you again and I will IYH read up on the things mentioned.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:18 pm
My dd was an easy baby / toddler, etc.
When she was about 3 she was in a bullying situation for about 2-3 months.
Her personality changed drastically in all areas: she became sensory, tantrumy, agitated, etc etc.
She went for therapy, but continued to have significant sensory issues. In her teen years she was a mess (her words).
She still hasn't recovered. Crazy as it may sound . Had I known then what I know now I would have taken her for craniosacral treatments to help calm her nervous system.
I would have enrolled her in some form of martial arts to give her back her sense of empowerment.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:33 pm
[quote="amother"]My dd was an easy baby / toddler, etc.
When she was about 3 she was in a bullying situation for about 2-3 months.
Her personality changed drastically in all areas: she became sensory, tantrumy, agitated, etc etc.
She went for therapy, but continued to have significant sensory issues. In her teen years she was a mess (her words).
She still hasn't recovered. Crazy as it may sound . Had I known then what I know now I would have taken her for craniosacral treatments to help calm her nervous system.
I would have enrolled her in some form of martial arts to give her back her sense of empowerment.[/quote]

Emerald- wow, that is like my daughter, though obviously it's only been a few years. I hope it doesn't continue till she's an adult! Why do you mention craniosacral treatments specifically? Have you had experience with it?

My daughter loves extra curricular activities. She swims and gymnastics. I don't think I can afford another activity, plus she really wants piano too!

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 3:18 pm
it sounds like it could be pinworms again! especially since it is waking her up again. Some kids get pinworms a lot!!! I would suggest treating her again and see what happens. The symptoms should at least temporarily go away after taking a couple doses.

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 3:18 pm
or if you want to check first before treating---but sometimes you have to check more than once.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:37 am
what happened in the end?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:37 am
[quote="Health is a Virture"]what happened in the end?[/quote]

Nothing. And a lot. Been getting worse. Haven't found a solution yet. With Hashe-m's help the few routes we are trying now will help. It's hard to be patient, but logically I know that it will take time.

Thanks for asking.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics