Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Help! Why is my potato kugel dense??

My4Jewels

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:30 pm
I have tried so many recipes and although fresh out of the oven the kugel is moist and gooey once it gets refrigerated or sits out for a while and then warmed up it's so so dense. All have tasted delicious but I want a light a fluffy kugel !! Any ideas??

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:39 pm
Try adding a cup of seltzer, it's supposed to make it light.

simcha2

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:41 pm
What potatoes are you using? I find using yukon golds makes a huge difference. Something to do with the starch content.

My4Jewels

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:45 pm
I use Yukon ..always a 5lb bag. 2 onion, 3/4 c oil, 5 eggs , 1T salt

My4Jewels

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:45 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

So in addition to the regular recipe?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 8:49 pm
Disregard if your recipe has seltzer in it already.

tovasara

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 9:48 am
Try more onions? I heard some people use zucchini too.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 10:13 am
Blessing1 wrote:

Urban myth.

Russet potatoes, more eggs.

smile12345

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 10:17 am
My4Jewels wrote:
I use Yukon ..always a 5lb bag. 2 onion, 3/4 c oil, 5 eggs , 1T salt

I do 2 kilo potatoes (a bit less than 5lb) with a full cup of oil and 6 eggs. (and quite a bit of black pepper though that wouldn't change the consistency.)

I find that doing higher kugels keeps it softer.
Also heating it through very well before serving. Otherwise it comes drier for some reason.

momofqts

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:05 pm
Add more eggs. Which blade do you use?

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:19 pm
You MUST preheat your oven to a high number for the first hour. Are you doing that? Question

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:21 pm
I would add 2 more eggs for 5 lbs. I always use Idaho potatoes but I don't know if that makes a difference. One thing that I do - just practical not in how the kugel comes out - is I use large/loose potatoes. 7 large potatoes is about 5 lbs. It just makes it easier than peeling a whole bag of smaller ones. I use 1 cup of oil and the same amount of eggs as potatoes. (plus 2 large onions)

How do you heat up the kugel? It sounds like that might be the issue. First of all, heat it up covered. Before you cover the kugel, pour some water (about 1/2 cup or a little more) on top of the kugel. Cover the foil tightly around the pan. Then heat at 225 for about 2 hours. Mine always comes out moist. I'm sure if you follow these steps, your will too! Good luck!

elaela

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 2:07 pm
1-2 more eggs and a hint of baking soda

My4Jewels

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:21 pm
momofqts wrote:
Add more eggs. Which blade do you use?

I use a regular cuisinart knife blade..would that change the consistency?

My4Jewels

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:25 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I would add 2 more eggs for 5 lbs. I always use Idaho potatoes but I don't know if that makes a difference. One thing that I do - just practical not in how the kugel comes out - is I use large/loose potatoes. 7 large potatoes is about 5 lbs. It just makes it easier than peeling a whole bag of smaller ones. I use 1 cup of oil and the same amount of eggs as potatoes. (plus 2 large onions)

How do you heat up the kugel? It sounds like that might be the issue. First of all, heat it up covered. Before you cover the kugel, pour some water (about 1/2 cup or a little more) on top of the kugel. Cover the foil tightly around the pan. Then heat at 225 for about 2 hours. Mine always comes out moist. I'm sure if you follow these steps, your will too! Good luck!

ok so I'll try the 2 more eggs..and you bake it at 225? isnt that low? I bake mine at 450 for an hour and a half. I also dont cover it so I will try that and adding the water. thanks!!

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 6:47 pm
My4Jewels wrote:
ok so I'll try the 2 more eggs..and you bake it at 225? isnt that low? I bake mine at 450 for an hour and a half. I also dont cover it so I will try that and adding the water. thanks!!

no .. I bake at 350 for 2 hours uncovered. But if you are reheating it then add water, cover and turn oven on to 225. 225 is for reheating- not baking.

My4Jewels

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:38 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
no .. I bake at 350 for 2 hours uncovered. But if you are reheating it then add water, cover and turn oven on to 225. 225 is for reheating- not baking.

Ok got it!

I'll
Give it a try thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes