Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to stay decluttered?!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 4:05 pm
We have lived in the same rented apartment since we've gotten married close to a decade ago. BH the time has come, we bought a house and we will be moving into it in a few weeks.

As I'm packing, I am finding a ridiculous amount of garbage/clutter. I have de-cluttered and thrown out plenty throughout the years, so I never could have imagined that I had this amount of junk just sitting here under my nose!

Here's the question- how do I keep this from happening in my new home? Over the years I have become more organized and "clutter" conscious, but I am scared of this junk accumulation happening again! I am really only packing the necessities. All questionable are either being thrown out or given away, so I have to only move in with what I need.

ADVICE!!!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 4:46 pm
Call in to the hakol bseder hotline each night and follow their 5 minute a day decluttering system. She goes through all parts of the house systematically so there's never a pile up.

Edited

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:37 pm
Eternal vigilance:

1. Define a place for everything. (Dishes, nonperishable food, purses, shoes, jewelry, books, mementos, frozen food, holiday decorations, CDs, photographs, art supplies, spices, dirty laundry, linens, paper goods, athletic equipment, health and beauty aids, pillows, clothes for your kids to grow into, stationery and office supplies, plants, pets, toys, Judaica, etc. etc. )When the space for any group is full, collect no more. If you want something new, get rid of something old from that group. Leave some empty space for its own sake.

2. Attack clutter before it gets in the door. Go through mail as soon as you pick it up, put bills and other important papers (or unimportant ones of interest to you) in the appropriate place (it can be just a box) and recycle everything else immediately. Carry reusable shopping bags and skip the ones from the store. If you use the ones from the store for trash, stash them in a good sized fabric sleeve, special bin or even empty tissue box. Decide on a maximum number to keep on hand. When you have more than that, bring them to a place like Rite Aid that recycles them

3. Put an expiration date on periodicals if you subscribe. If you haven't read it by the time the next issue arrives, you never will. Pass it along to a friend, neighbor, nursing home, or "little free library". Better yet, cancel your subscription to anything you don't have the time to read promptly.

4. Do the "get rid of X things in Y minutes" or "get rid of Z things a day" exercise daily.

5. Goodwill, gmachs and thrift shops are your friends. Donate early and often.

6. Always have a bin, basket or shopping bag in the closet for donations. Whenever you do laundry or clean a drawer, put your excess into the donation receptacle. When it's full, time to drop off.

7. Accept no freebies at shows, conventions and fairs. If you slip up and grab a few, in the donation bin they go immediately.

The bottom line is that decluttering is not a one-time-job-and-I'm-done project like putting up shelving. It's exactly like flossing and brushing your teeth: you have to do it every day.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:46 pm
As I'm cleaning up every evening, I make a point of liberally throwing out whatever I can. That's my #1 trick. #2 is to have a place for everything, that doesn't allow for overflow. That forces me to deal with it when it gets too much, but before it gets out of hand.

ProudMommy3

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:47 pm
Zaq, this is gold! Thank you for taking the time to post!!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:55 pm
Can s/one post that hotline no. mentioned above?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
Can s/one post that hotline no. mentioned above?

718-506-9057

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 7:53 pm
Sorry I meant Hakol Bseder hotline 718-303-4386. I will edit my post above.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 5:31 pm
Isn't hakol beseder a quasi-cult originating in EY? Or am I thinking of Megirot?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
Isn't hakol beseder a quasi-cult originating in EY? Or am I thinking of Megirot?

Hakol Bseder is an organizational program run by a chareidi Brooklyn woman named Tziri Hershkovitz.
http://hakolbeseder.org
If there is a quasi cult in Israel by the same name? I wouldn't know.

Another mom

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:54 pm
347-772-1188

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:57 pm
thank you for all the tips!

it's going to be a challenge. I think the hardest part will be the settling in/unpacking AND not letting the clutter suddenly happen. I don't know the house well yet, or have grand plans for furniture/organizational items, that I can already start planning where things are going to go.

I just never ever ever want this clutter again!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 7:58 pm
Watch Alexandra TV! She is the best

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 4:30 am
amother wrote:
Watch Alexandra TV! She is the best

I just did. Wow she is amazing! Thank you for posting this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics