Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
NY to Cleveland

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:36 pm
It's a pretty boring and straight ride from NY. Is there any way to make the trip interesting for kids without diverting too much from the road? I'm ok adding a bit to the drive but not a ton. Also, ok to turn it into a two day trip

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 11:58 pm
The straightest way is to take route 80. So Google" attractions along route 80, PA" and see what's there that your family will enjoy

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 9:57 pm
Pittsburgh's not too far out of the way and has a lot of great attractions, plus a few kosher restaurants and minyan options.

esther11

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:02 pm
We've stopped in Pittsburgh for food and the civil war museum in philly.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:07 pm
singleagain wrote:
The straightest way is to take route 80. So Google" attractions along route 80, PA" and see what's there that your family will enjoy

It may be more direct, but in my experience its a poorly maintained road, fewer diversions, rest stops are more annoying--there's a Wal Mart in I think Clarion, PA or near Clearfield Pa--we stopped there once when it was about to rain and need to stretch our legs, but other than that its an incredibly boring trip--lots of farm land, there can be traffic for like no reason, construction etc. In the summer its not AS bad--in the winter DEFINITELY take the PA turnpike.

If you take the PA turnpike, the trip naturally breaks up by the 78/81 stretch--there's a nice rest stop on 81 called Roadside America but it closes early- (I think 5pm--and don't stay for the "night time video"--its a bit religious, but otherwise its a cool place--so have to factor that in) then you stop in Carlisle, PA--there's a big TA get gas and coffee, get on the Turnpike--there are 4 cool big long tunnels, lots of mountains along the way, more scenic maybe stop off in Pittsburgh, and then Cleveland is 2.5 hours from Pittsburgh.

While brief stops break up the monotony, experience with traveling with little kids is that it can be more of a tease to younger kids to have more stops, so try to GET THERE as much as possible.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:59 am
I grew up in Cleveland and moved to Brooklyn, the capital of...nothing actually, when married. Took many trips back and forth, and with small kids. Its fine if you leave super early, they will hopefully sleep or u can put in a story cd ...and the road is empty. Pack up at night, leave at 5 am ideally, u r there by 1 max...with 1 stop... Nosh light in the car...

There is nothing interesting in Cleveland besides amazing amazing nature which is gr8 when u come from NY where nature is beautiful but accessible to only the rich maybe...
Check out Cleveland's emerald necklace. The mistake on the lake as it is "lovingly" called is surrounded by parks everwhere, some on the west side much less friendly to outwordly looking Jews...so if u wear a tichel/hat/ mitpachat I wouldnt venture out to the west side too much. If ur sheitel sweeps the floor and ur skirt aims for the sky you should be mostly ok in the parks on the west side. Same for your husband's look...beard, white shirt could be issues

On the east and closer to the Jews there is the Euclid Creek...beautiful. Also check out Pymatuning park ...u can rent a boat.dep on kids ages.. Find private piece of beach...off of route 80...

or Moraine State Park I think off I-90...really beautiful and find privacy and shade and also boat rentals.

In Cleveland there is the botanical garden...and try to go cherry picking if possible off of 90 west. No maaser trumos issues in chutz.

Other option, save money and come visit Yerushalaim ir hakodesh, the capital if it all where u can have a vacation from the mundane reality and dream a little. Hatzlacha

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:01 am
Oh and your husband can daven on the road or netz dep when its now and u can leave a little after 6 am

miami85

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
I grew up in Cleveland and moved to Brooklyn, the capital of...nothing actually, when married. Took many trips back and forth, and with small kids. Its fine if you leave super early, they will hopefully sleep or u can put in a story cd ...and the road is empty. Pack up at night, leave at 5 am ideally, u r there by 1 max...with 1 stop... Nosh light in the car...

There is nothing interesting in Cleveland besides amazing amazing nature which is gr8 when u come from NY where nature is beautiful but accessible to only the rich maybe...
Check out Cleveland's emerald necklace. The mistake on the lake as it is "lovingly" called is surrounded by parks everwhere, some on the west side much less friendly to outwordly looking Jews...so if u wear a tichel/hat/ mitpachat I wouldnt venture out to the west side too much. If ur sheitel sweeps the floor and ur skirt aims for the sky you should be mostly ok in the parks on the west side. Same for your husband's look...beard, white shirt could be issues

On the east and closer to the Jews there is the Euclid Creek...beautiful. Also check out Pymatuning park ...u can rent a boat.dep on kids ages.. Find private piece of beach...off of route 80...

or Moraine State Park I think off I-90...really beautiful and find privacy and shade and also boat rentals.

In Cleveland there is the botanical garden...and try to go cherry picking if possible off of 90 west. No maaser trumos issues in chutz.

Other option, save money and come visit Yerushalaim ir hakodesh, the capital if it all where u can have a vacation from the mundane reality and dream a little. Hatzlacha

Moraine is near Cleveland? I thought Moraine was near Pittsburgh?
If someone is visiting Cleveland for family, then it's a different story. It is a pleasant community from the times I've visited.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:16 am
sorry you are right Moraine is closer to Pittsburgh and ab from greater Cleveland (downtown). I have not been there a long time and forgot...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics