Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Terrible hair from wearing a wig/snood

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 11:32 pm
Ok. So I'm married for two years and as a single girl I had gorgeous, shiny, thick wavy hair with highlights all over. Now I have dul, limp, dry, and mousy colored hair!! I am so sad! My husband still claims that it's gorgeous but come on he's a good husband he's not gonna say otherwise. And I'm not so self conscious about it cuz im bH pretty and slim so it doesn't bother me so much but I'm sad that I lost my stunning hair. Does anyone have any tips on how to restore my hair to its full glory I miss it so badly. Also why does this happen am I the only one? Is it cuz of lack of sunlight, the pressure of a wig? Any comments would be appreciated.

gs675

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:24 am
My hair became much nicer and thicker and more lush since I cover it. I'm sorry for your loss.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:45 am
Four thoughts come to mind that have nothing to do with head coverings:
1. Have you had a baby in the interim? Hormonal changes after childbirth can wreak havoc on your hair.
2. Are you using hormonal birth control? This can also have an adverse effect on your hair.
3. Have you moved to an area with a different climate? Climate has a huge effect on hair.
4. Can you be anemic or have a thyroid imbalance or some sort of vitamin deficiency? That might account for the dullness and dryness you describe.

Jalapeño

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:49 am
If you're not already try deep conditioning every two weeks or so. Buy one that has protein in it (or sometimes I make my own with yogurt or egg) and let it sit for 30+ minutes. It's best to keep it covered in a shower cap or plastic wrap.

That will help with dryness, but it might be worth it to get a few highlights in the front if you're feeling really down about it. It definitely helps me!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:22 am
amother wrote:
Four thoughts come to mind that have nothing to do with head coverings:
1. Have you had a baby in the interim? Hormonal changes after childbirth can wreak havoc on your hair.
2. Are you using hormonal birth control? This can also have an adverse effect on your hair.
3. Have you moved to an area with a different climate? Climate has a huge effect on hair.
4. Can you be anemic or have a thyroid imbalance or some sort of vitamin deficiency? That might account for the dullness and dryness you describe.

So I did have a baby and I was on birth control up until 3 months ago. I didn't move to a different climate and it could very well be that I am anemic as I have been in the past...

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 11:29 am
I uncover my hair when I am at home. When I cover it, I do it loosely. I also get my hair professionally colored. I have been covering for years, and it still looks wonderful.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 11:32 am
I know many many people (including myself) with this issue. I definitely think that hair covering is the culprit for me, not hormones or anemia. No advice, but I can commiserate.

cm

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 11:37 am
Yes, the color (especially highlights) will change when your hair is not exposed to sunlight. And my hair is thin and straight, so our experiences may not be the same, but I get such atrocious "hat head" (or "wig head" or whatever) from having my natural hair compressed. No advice, really, just validating your observation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics