Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Narrowing our choices

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 2:32 pm
We have 3 family names we'd like to use, but neither of us want to give 3 names because it seems a bit much. Ideally we want to choose 2, a first and middle.

Let's say the names are Chava, Bayla, and Gitta (not the real names, but similar feel).

We would also rather put the name we will CALL the baby as the first name, even if that messes up the flow. For example, if we call her "Bayla" then we'd name her either Bayla Gitta or Bayla Chava, even if Bayla would flow better as the middle name.

Chava is almost "expected" but not my favorite name, plus the "ch" makes it harder to pronounce in the US. Gitta is neither of our first choices, so it would have to be a middle name. Bayla is very nice, but I go back and forth, and would probably use a nickname if we picked this as the first name.

There's always the option of choosing a name we "just like" as the first name and then using either Chava, Bayla, or Gitta for the middle name... but that's not an easy decision. I have trouble justifying choosing even the nicest name I "just like" over a family name.

I don't want to choose a variation of the names or a translation or anything like that. I'd rather use the actual names or choose something else.

There's a good chance this may be our last child, so we won't be "saving a name for next time."

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 2:38 pm
what are you asking?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 2:44 pm
I'm curious what other people would do in this situation.

chicco

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:04 pm
Just from what you said, sounds like Bayla Gitta is your best option.
You say you don't want 3 names. So the one you dislike, Chava, is out. You also say you like Bayla best and will use it. So use Bayla, and if you want to add a name, add Gitta.

I know this is stressing you out, and I feel bad about that. I think it would be best for you to take a step back, bask in the reality that it will work out whatever happens in the end, and in the knowledge that there is no wrong answer. Go with your gut. And your Ruach Hakodesh which will kick in at some point.

Mazel tov or bshaa tova (it wasnt clear.)

chicco

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:05 pm
Double post, sorry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names