Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of gutting a house, lakewood
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mommyla

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 6:01 pm
A gut job will cost you waaaaay more than $50-60k.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 6:19 pm
I live in S. FL.
Moving into an apartment that badly needs renovations, but there are no leaks, roofing, mold, involved. There is some construction and moving of plumbing involved though.
The cost roughly come out to about $100 per square foot plus the cost of all tile throughout and new appliances in kitchen, which depends on what I pick how much more it will cost.
I'm redoing:
ALL the flooring in tile. The old tile needs to be ripped out.
21/2 bathrooms with floor to ceiling tile, new showers, vanities, sinks, toilets, bidet, everything new.
Building a new laundry room and closet.
Redoing the entire kitchen, to my specifications.
Putting a sink in the dining room.
Getting done some built-ins in the living and dining room .

You can get a contractor to come to the house before you buy the house and they can give you an estimate.

Don't know if this info was helpful

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 6:30 pm
Omg realtor lied to you this damage sounds like it'll cost 150-200k I put 50 k into my house that was in average condition just new carpet stain the wood floors painting new countertop in kitchen and molding in some room cost 50ki know just each bathroom will be 10k a bathroom to replace!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 6:42 pm
A kitchen is at least $50,000.
Each bathroom figure about $5,000

smileyfaces

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:00 pm
At least 150-200k. Make sure to use a very reputable contractor. You don't want bandage jobs that will cost you more down the road.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 5:13 am
amother wrote:
A kitchen is at least $50,000.

For a fancy kitchen.
A stylish, yet simple Ikea or similar kitchen costs far less than that.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:24 am
amother wrote:
For a fancy kitchen.
A stylish, yet simple Ikea or similar kitchen costs far less than that.

Totally agree. Home Depot has nice and relatively inexpensive kitchens too, with a great variety of cabinets and contraptions.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
Totally agree. Home Depot has nice and relatively inexpensive kitchens too, with a great variety of cabinets and contraptions.

How much? You still have to figure in the costs of demoing clean up and installation.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:38 am
amother wrote:

We put in a new cheaper kitchen - was about 20-25k

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:42 am
My sister put in a new kitchen including Granite countertops, stainless appliances....for about 15K.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:49 am
Chayalle wrote:
My sister put in a new kitchen including Granite countertops, stainless appliances....for about 15K.

My appliances alone in NJ were 10k so I'm a bit skeptical of this.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:52 am
OP, good luck on your house hunt.

Call a contractor, and see if s/he can give you an estimate. This is done all the time when people are buying fixer-uppers. They come to the property, take a look around, give you a ballpark figure. No need to rely on guesswork.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:49 am
Chayalle wrote:

Do you know who she used? We just bought a foreclosure house and want to put in a kitchen.
Thanks

mommish613

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:50 am
amother wrote:
My appliances alone in NJ were 10k so I'm a bit skeptical of this.

Well we don't know the size of the kitchen but It can be done (I did it). There are plenty of cheaper options (Chinese made etc) and very basic granite. 10k for appliances sounds high end.

esther990

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:09 am
At least 180-200. If you need a structural beam could be 10k, faulty wiring- another 10k. Etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:46 am
If there is mold in the basement then it could be in the walls as well. My cousins had that happen to them recently. They removed a couple of walls to reconfigure the rooms and discovered mold. They ended up having to gut the entire house down to the studs. Their construction ended up taking months longer than planned and cost them a lot more.

Caveat emptor!

pause

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 9:59 am
Whatever a contractor tells you (not a realtor), it will take longer and cost more. I'd count on double the price and double the time.

cbg

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
We put in a new cheaper kitchen - was about 20-25k

20 for cabinets plus appliances = at least 30-35
Depends on sq ft

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know who she used? We just bought a foreclosure house and want to put in a kitchen.
Thanks

I'm extremely happy with my ikea kitchen. We took the cheapest finish (white) and it was dirt cheap. I planned it myself on their website with their tools. Like that I was able to see how much it's costs and was able to make changes without feeling pressured.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 2:04 pm
cbg wrote:
20 for cabinets plus appliances = at least 30-35
Depends on sq ft

Maybe the price she gave included appliances?

Not everyone gets 2 dishwashers, two ovens and all matching high end appliances. There's absolutely no reason that appliances have to add up anywhere near to 10 - 15k.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics