Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva tuition scholarship formula
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:02 am
Curious what would happen if you go back to the committee and explained that you weren't 'low balling' them, that $17,000 was an honest assessment of what you are able to pay without incurring hardship.

If there was a 'formula' they wouldn't ask you what you wanted to pay.

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
I hate these kind of "games" - I wish for a straight out formula, so I know what to expect. What do they think, I'll try to earn less so I get to pay less tuition, if I knew how it's calculated?

They can't give you a formula because it varies year by year. I am sure their finance director hates these games also. If all their clients played staight with them, then it would be easier for them.

If non working moms got a bigger break, you can be sure the number of SAHMs would increase. I see a rush to buy big homes early because if you have a large monthly housing expense, and no savings because it was spent on the down payment, you get a bigger break than renters saving up to buy.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
Curious what would happen if you go back to the committee and explained that you weren't 'low balling' them, that $17,000 was an honest assessment of what you are able to pay without incurring hardship.

We'll probably do that. Maybe they'll give us a bit more. I'm just so resentful - I feel like $17,000 is still a big amount for tuition & yet I feel like such a beggar, I hate it!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I don't know if it'll help you but my kids school administrator once mentioned that his formula for tuition is 20-25% of your income regardless of how many children.
This is a community that values having lots of kids. And the policy reflects that.

Another community I know asks for 10% of income regardless of kids. But that community school is much better off financially than ours.

Thanks! Would you be comfortable sharing the names of the schools/community?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 10:22 am
I was not looking to debate those scenarios, and I have no interest in discussing my personal opinion on each. I was merely giving examples of dilemmas that may be faced when choosing how to allocate school scholarships. Like I said, if you don't agree with the schools value system and you feel that you are footing the bill for these families, go elsewhere.

(Totally off topic, but in many (most?) places, private special Ed schools are very, very costly. Some parents choose to move to other states where tuition is better funded, but many feel compelled to stay where they are for various reasons. And they pay a lot out of pocket.)

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Would you be comfortable sharing the names of the schools/community?

I don't feel comfortable doing so since I'm not sure the info is meant to be public knowledge. The only thing I'll say is that these schools are not in the Tri-state area.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 11:55 am
I wonder if that is my kids school. I got my assessment and its about the percentage magenta mentioned.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
We'll probably do that. Maybe they'll give us a bit more. I'm just so resentful - I feel like $17,000 is still a big amount for tuition & yet I feel like such a beggar, I hate it!

I hope it goes well, and you are treated with respect.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:

I give the schools an itemized spreadsheet breaking down our income and expenses per month; adding up the total for the year, and then listing the amount we have left that's available for tuition, divided by the number of schools our kids are attending, and how much of a break we are asking of each school.

Additionally, the school has our tax returns, W-2, etc.

Interesting, the poster who said 20-25% of after tax income, because that's usually about the amount we say we can afford to pay.

finprof

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:35 pm
Here is a school in nj that explains it all very clearly: http://www.yeshivalabschool.org/tuition/

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
I don't feel comfortable doing so since I'm not sure the info is meant to be public knowledge. The only thing I'll say is that these schools are not in the Tri-state area.

I understand, thanks anyway, I still appreciate the general info.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
I hope it goes well, and you are treated with respect.

Thanks!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:38 pm
finprof wrote:
Here is a school in nj that explains it all very clearly: http://www.yeshivalabschool.org/tuition/

Thanks, I appreciate it. Is that NJ or PA?

finprof

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 12:41 pm
I thought it was in cherry hill, I guess it's just over the boarder. The families I know who send there are from cherry hill, nj

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 1:45 pm
I just read through this whole post. I calculated what % of our income we are paying for tuition and it came out to almost exactly 25% of our gross income. So thanks to everyone for sharing the 20-25% formula, that makes a lot of sense. I live in a large frum community outside of the tri-state area.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:29 pm
So I was wondering if so loses a job chas v shalom and the tuition was based on a higher income will they lower it or is it too late bc the school is relying on that specific amount for tuition??

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
So I was wondering if so loses a job chas v shalom and the tuition was based on a higher income will they lower it or is it too late bc the school is relying on that specific amount for tuition??

case by case, school by school.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:16 pm
Last year, AGI was $130,000.
Tuition before scholarships for 4 students: $51,000.
Total tuition we paid: $31,000.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 7:57 pm
When you say 20 to 25% of income, is that percentage of the Adjusted Gross Income on your federal tax return(my AGI is lower than my actual income) or the actual income which is from the W2s ??

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:01 am
Some schools NEVER give a break
Some schools only give teachers.
Some schools give EVERYONE once they have 2/2/4 children there.
Some investigate each case - USA even has committees.
Some schools take what you can, investigating more or less or even relying on trust. Some will exchange for a service like carpooling some children. Some do not because their aim is to have evenryone in jewish. My parents' friend doesn't pay but drives kids.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics