Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Possible to lose 2 pounds a week if eating 850 calories/day?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:37 am
I used one of the online calculators which said I can lose 2 pounds a week if I eat 850 calories a day. Does that put your body into starvation mode? Medifast seems about that many caloreis and supposedly people lose 3 pounds a week eating around 1000 calories a day so how does that add up? Is it possible to lose 2 pounds a week just eating no carbs?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:10 am
Medifast is a ketosis based plan so it's very different. If you are eating protein/fat and limited carbs (vegetables have carbs too), then you can lose 2 lbs a week. If you follow atkins, you can eat more than 850 calories and lose that much. Just make sure to drink a lot of water as ketosis plans require it.

crazymom

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:52 am
Starvation mode is a dieting myth. If you do some research online you will see the studies. I practice flexible restraint (between 800-1200 a day depending on the day). I do not snack all day, I do not eat past 6pm. And sometimes I'm so hungry at night! However, I wake up the next day and have a good breakfast, do some exersize (get the Tabata app-it's great) and get on with my day. I have lost 20lbs without obsessing about it. You can do it!!!!

emzod42

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 9:14 am
That sounds unsafe to me. Depending on your weight and activity level, you probably need at least 1200 calories. You can use an online calculator to figure out your TDEE(total daily energy expenditure) to find a more realistic number. I had good results with the calorie tracking app myfitnesspal, and it didn't recommend trying to lose more than a pound a week. I would limit carbs and stick to whole grains and healthy carbs, but cutting them out completely is likely not a longterm solution for health or weight loss.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 9:56 am
I did a parve version of medifast with a doctor.
I lost 50lbs. in 5 months, but the second I stopped I started gaining weight.
It consisted of pea protein shake, special bars (cake) that he made, a special fiber drink that he also made, and 1 vegan meal a day preferably raw, and zero fat. And exercise 1 hr a day.
The doctor wanted me to do more streneous exercise, but I physically could not do it, so I just walked.
I do not do well without animal protein. I got very week, super tired all the time.

What I did notice is that on Shabbat, I would add a portion of fish and a portion of chicken and I would lose 3 lbs over Shabbat. Almost no weightloss through out the week, and every Sunday morning 3 lbs less.

I gained back 12 lbs. got on grey sheet, it took m 3 months to lose the 12 lbs, but I'm so much happier.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 9:57 am
I'm sure it's possible to lose even more than that on that amount of calories, but why do something so dangerous?
Even an 18 month old is supposed to eat more than that.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:04 am
It is possible, but I would look into a HCG type diet for support. The key behind successful ketosis diets is a) getting your body to use your stored fat for energy b)coming it off correctly so the weight doesn't just pile back on when you start eating normally. I did 50 lbs in 6 months using the TrimYou spray. It requires a 3 month commitment to do one round so make sure that you have 3 months where you can limit your eating and follow the protocol, but it can be SO worth it!

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 10:24 am
look into the whole 30

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:16 pm
Look into the threads here about HGC. Without HCG, there is a good chance that your body will go into "starvation mode". Your body will start holding onto fat because it thinks that you're in a famine.

You'll lose at first, but then you'll hit a plateau, and then your set point will get messed up. You'll also be at risk of gaining it all back as a rebound effect.

I would never try such a low calorie diet without the guidance of a good doctor and nutritionist.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Look into the threads here about HGC. Without HCG, there is a good chance that your body will go into "starvation mode". Your body will start holding onto fat because it thinks that you're in a famine.

You'll lose at first, but then you'll hit a plateau, and then your set point will get messed up. You'll also be at risk of gaining it all back as a rebound effect.

I would never try such a low calorie diet without the guidance of a good doctor and nutritionist.

Right and even with so few calories in your system you want them to be the right calories, right foods so that your body will release your fat stores and you end up being like a camel, but if you don't do it right, then you will feel blah, yucky, unhealthy, sluggish and not lose any more weight and then just put it back on or binge when you eat "normally" agai.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 12:59 pm
why would you want to starve yourself????? That is SO uncomfortable to walk around starving! At the end, you will be starving, loose a little and then gain it right back when you start eating again.

Pamela

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:06 pm
The human adult brain alone burns 800 calories a day simply by being...Any functioning healthy adult should be consuming no less than 1500 calories a day

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 2:03 pm
The best "diet" is one that can be comfortably maintained for life. Balanced, healthy nutrition and an active lifestyle. Hopefully you'll be at your "goal health" (not even going to say "goal weight," because there are too many variables and the number shouldn't dictate the process) for a long time. Have patience with the process and with yourself. Love and nurture yourself, body included.

marina

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 4:07 pm
How quickly you lose with a low-carb diet also depends on how much you need to lose. if you have a lot to lose, you can even lose 5-7 lbs a week.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:20 pm
marina wrote:
How quickly you lose with a low-carb diet also depends on how much you need to lose. if you have a lot to lose, you can even lose 5-7 lbs a week.

40-50 pounds, how much can you I lose a week?

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
why would you want to starve yourself????? That is SO uncomfortable to walk around starving! At the end, you will be starving, loose a little and then gain it right back when you start eating again.

In a HCG diet you are not "Starving yourself" you are burning your excess fat storage and that contains calories. Fat is just what your body saved for a "rainy day"--make it rain!

Optione

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 8:30 pm
Weight watchers advertises that if you follow their generous plan, you can lose 1-2 lbs a week. People who really follow it and exercise generally loose more than that. (I didn't exercise and wasn't 100% careful with what I ate and lost 1.5-2lbs a week.)

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 8:18 pm
Optione wrote:
Weight watchers advertises that if you follow their generous plan, you can lose 1-2 lbs a week. People who really follow it and exercise generally loose more than that. (I didn't exercise and wasn't 100% careful with what I ate and lost 1.5-2lbs a week.)

im going to look into that, 1.5-2 lbs a week is very good
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise