Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Yalmukahs

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 10:24 am
Just curious on the reasoning... Got my child's information packet for his new school. Part of the dress code says no bukharian yalmulkahs. Why not?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:10 am
Anti-Bukharianism?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 12:50 pm
DrMom wrote:
Anti-Bukharianism?

😂!!!!

What's a Bukharian yarmulke?

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:08 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
😂!!!!

What's a Bukharian yarmulke?

https://www.ajudaica.com/categ.....ppah/

cm

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious on the reasoning... Got my child's information packet for his new school. Part of the dress code says no bukharian yalmulkahs. Why not?

Too bad, they stay on so well, especially for little kids. Does the school have a strict dress code in general?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 8:28 pm
No, for preschool there are very few restrictions. Things like no open toed/crocs type shoes for safety, boys need yamukah and tzizis, etc. but this was specified! Hence my confusion...

abaker

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:01 pm
We don't wear those style yarmulkas but Scratching Head can ANYONE provide a legitamite reason to ban them!?!

Hmmm.... Scratching Head

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:35 pm
abaker wrote:
We don't wear those style yarmulkas but Scratching Head can ANYONE provide a legitamite reason to ban them!?!

Hmmm.... Scratching Head

They aren't banned, they are not permitted at this school...

When you say "we don't wear them"... why not?

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 25 2017, 11:52 pm
Sounds crazy to me. I can't think of a single reason for this rule and I can think of a slew of reasons against it. Time for a chat with admin and a serious think about where your school is headed.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 2:28 am
seeker wrote:
Sounds crazy to me. I can't think of a single reason for this rule and I can think of a slew of reasons against it. Time for a chat with admin and a serious think about where your school is headed.

This rule has been in place for some time so it is not a new direction that they are going down. I am very happy with the school thus far but he hasn't started school yet so I am going in with open eyes. The teachers and staff I have been in touch with know child development and seem very responsive...
They also are quite "normal" about all the other rules for dress codes, at least with the early childhood. No real rules besides the ones I mentioned- yalkmukah, tzizis, sneakers (for safety)...

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:08 am
amother wrote:
This rule has been in place for some time so it is not a new direction that they are going down. I am very happy with the school thus far but he hasn't started school yet so I am going in with open eyes. The teachers and staff I have been in touch with know child development and seem very responsive...
They also are quite "normal" about all the other rules for dress codes, at least with the early childhood. No real rules besides the ones I mentioned- yalkmukah, tzizis, sneakers (for safety)...

It's very uncommon anyway in some circles . Maybe they want to to avoid a situation where one kid is singled out or bullied? This is based on what you sad about no other crazy rules.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 7:17 am
seeker wrote:
Time for a chat with admin and a serious think about where your school is headed.

That's quite an extreme response to a silly rule that doesn't really make a difference to anyone...

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
That's quite an extreme response to a silly rule that doesn't really make a difference to anyone...

Really, a rule that excludes the traditional JEWISH OBSERVANT garb of an entire group is a "silly rule that doesn't really make a difference?" To me it seems like a statement of the school's values. Therefore I think I would want to know just what type of values it represents.

And the idea of avoiding bullying is ridiculous. The way you avoid bullying is by teaching children to respect others and their differences, not by trying to erase individual differences of any kind.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 3:25 pm
Seeker, I was thinking more along the lines of wanting a uniform look, similar to girls schools with uniforms . But overall I agree , they shouldn't have put such a rule.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 3:49 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Seeker, I was thinking more along the lines of wanting a uniform look, similar to girls schools with uniforms . But overall I agree , they shouldn't have put such a rule.

You're probably right that that's what they're thinking, but applying that to a traditional religious-cultural item such as a yarmulka is really crossing a line. Things like sneakers vs shoes we could quibble about, and you could easily make a case against things like kippahs with pictures of superheroes and sports teams, but this is taking it too far.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 3:59 pm
rules are better stated in the positive. Like: Yalmulkah' should be a solid dark color... I think that would be less 'offensive'.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 4:40 pm
Whatever... don't know why I got into this debate, I'm not really in favor of too many rules either.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:08 am
Probably because they put politics. Like not wanting floor skirts. I disagree but their school their rule.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children