Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Please educate me on the Western Wall

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:14 am
I'm slowly connecting to my roots and am trying to educate myself on Israel. I've been reading up on the Western Wall. I thought it was part of the Beth Hamikdosh but it says it was built by King Herod. Can you explain it's significance as I know it's the most emotional and beloved sites of our people.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:28 am
Herod extended the area of the beis hamikdash. His expansion took on the holiness to.
It's really a retaining wall, or the outer wall of the har habayis, Temple Mount. The actual mikdash was somewhere to the area opposite the men's section of the Kotel. The Kaddosh hakedoshim was on the western side, the entrance on the eastern side.
It is considered the holiest place that we have access to. Most rabbinic authorities consider us unable to attain the level of tahara to ascend to the top, so this is the closest, halachickly.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:01 am
Thank you. So is it considered as the Beth Hamikdosh?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:02 am
Or rather, was it considered as the Beth Hamikdosh.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:14 am
The beis hamikdash had different areas with different levels of kedusha.
It is the wall around the compound. The main entrance being from the southern wall. The gates are visible, but blocked up.
It is not the wal of the mikdash itself, those were burnt. (Miraculously since they were stone) The Kotel is the outer wall of the compound, the retaining wall to make a flat, rectangular plateau to accommodate large crowds on the shalosh regalim.

Thank you for asking, now I had to ponder the great loss we commemorate in two days. You have helped me feel and connect to it.

Your best answer would be to come, see and cry yourself. The Kotel tunnels and southern wall tours will be very helpful.
Aish has a beautiful model.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:08 pm
I'm planning to visit. I really want to connect, so finding out its significance was important to me. Thanks for your help. I'm glad that you found my question helpful for yourself as well.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:51 am
Go and see. it's incredible what you feel there - and I'm neither tzioni nor New agey.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 4:22 am
I think the Kotel Tunnels and the Temple Institute are great places to visit to give context to a visit to the Kotel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics