Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What was the best vacation you've taken?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:38 pm
We LOVE cities. If you like city vacations, here are some of my favorites:

London just has so many things to do with a fantastic mix of old classics and very modern. It has something for everyone and is great if you love to explore old buildings or ride a giant ferris wheel (London Eye). There's the palace and changing of the guard, and tons of museums covering anything and everything. Plus being able to speak the language but listening to cool accents is great.

Prague has amazing charm. It's also a city that you can do in just a few days. The city is actually a very beautiful city (not compared to nature vacations, but among cities I've been to, it really is quite gorgeous) - colorful buildings, a river running through it, lots of bridges and old buildings. Tons of little shops and street stands, and amazing handmade toy shops. We went bike riding along the river for a few miles, it was one of the best things I've ever done in any city. Plus, there is also a ton of Jewish History there as well, with lots of things to see.

New York City may seem overrated, but it really is a super fun city. The museums alone (Museum of Natural History, MOMA, the Met) are worth the trip. Also plenty to see outdoors - Central Park, Bronx Zoo if you go farther out (not just the animals, but the whole zoo is great to walk around). And just walking around midtown Manhattan gives you the most eclectic people to see - the natives, the tourists, and the random people doing their street craft.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:44 pm
Italy or carribean cruise.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:50 pm
following

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:47 pm
What's your idea of a fun vacation? Do you prefer adventure or relaxing?
If you like nature and exploring, Alaska is amazing!
If you like relaxing, the Bahamas is great!
If you rather something in between, Hawaii is a fantastic option.

Of course, you can never go wrong with Israel.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:56 pm
Kenya, without question. The animals are so spectacular and I am a huge nature nerd.

I know this is super unpopular, but I really disliked my trip to Israel even though I was very excited to go. It turns out that it's not a destination for everyone, or even every committed Jew.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:59 pm
Most aesthetically pleasing = St. Thomas
Most spiritually invigorating = Jerusalem

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 11:32 pm
Israel is the best! It's somewhere I can visit every year! I love it! Besides for it being the holy land there are tons of amazing things to see and do there!
Other vacations we've been on that we really enjoyed were las Vegas, grand canyon in Arizona, Florida, new Hampshire, Hungary , Niagara falls, Maryland, California, and then there were the small getaways like the Poconos.
Another awesome vacation is going on a cruise! Idk if that's something you would be interested in.

gs675

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:58 am
I love adventure and nature. Alaska sounds amazing. What is there to do there? And is there kosher food?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:22 am
No one here from the UK? I am.
We holiday in Scotland and Wales - absolutely stunning. I cant get enough of it!

gs675

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 4:29 am
Scotland is very far for us. I also like places where we don't stick out as need.
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about that?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:10 am
I love Israel. But seriously the plane tickets are INSANE. And for the price of a meh hotel room I can have an apartment in many European cities, or a house out of town. I recently paid 600 euros for a crummy 40 year old plane. We simply CANNOT afford to bring our family there. And this is from someone touring Europe. It's very sad, because even if we technically could afford, what we would get for our money would simply NOT be satisfying compared to what we could get almost elsewhere.

The summer is also intensely hot, as in me in bed with migraine every other day. I went in May and suffered. My mom did even worse, with 11 migraines in 15 days. She took three times what she normally takes in painkillers.

Before that we went in January. BH the weather was delicious. We can handle some rain. BUT inside the houses it was horribly cold. And that comes from someone who turns off heating in my apartment because the neighbour's heat is more than enough ot me. We were in the Alps recently and one night got very very cold. EVERY SINGLE HOUSING turned on the heat except us. But in Israel? I couldn't even shower.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:17 am
Quote:
Scotland is very far for us. I also like places where we don't stick out as need.
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about that?

No, we don't. FTR you'll stick out in all locations mentioned above except NY, Paris, London, Antwerp type places. Certainly in Alaska LOL

We're back from a place where we were the only Jews in town (not counting possibly halachically Jews). We've been in countries with "26 Jews, the only kippa at the times lol. We just live. Sometimes we do a kiddush HM/educate people. We get more than a few shaloms, occasionally a true friend of Israel. We don't listen to what the medias have to say on rampant antisemitism everywhere (I read ridiculous articles on how Ireland is terrible and a quarter of the Jews escaped, or how Iceland is so rabidly antisemitic no Israeli should set foot, etc, you find them for every location because there's an agenda against chul Jews).

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
I love Israel. But seriously the plane tickets are INSANE. And for the price of a meh hotel room I can have an apartment in many European cities, or a house out of town. I recently paid 600 euros for a crummy 40 year old plane. We simply CANNOT afford to bring our family there. And this is from someone touring Europe. It's very sad, because even if we technically could afford, what we would get for our money would simply NOT be satisfying compared to what we could get almost elsewhere.

The summer is also intensely hot, as in me in bed with migraine every other day. I went in May and suffered. My mom did even worse, with 11 migraines in 15 days. She took three times what she normally takes in painkillers.

Before that we went in January. BH the weather was delicious. We can handle some rain. BUT inside the houses it was horribly cold. And that comes from someone who turns off heating in my apartment because the neighbour's heat is more than enough ot me. We were in the Alps recently and one night got very very cold. EVERY SINGLE HOUSING turned on the heat except us. But in Israel? I couldn't even shower.

You should visit during March/April/May or Oct/Nov (depending on how various chagim fall out).

And plan your day intelligently: If travelling when warm, wear a broad-brimmed hat to shade yourself from the sun, drink lots of water, and plan indoor activities for midday when the sun is most intense.

And there are many airbnbs here. With a/c and heating and hot water. Confused

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:33 am
DrMom wrote:
You should visit during March/April/May or Oct/Nov (depending on how various chagim fall out).

And there are many airbnbs here. With a/c and heating. Confused

I was there in May and my mom was so sick (and I suffered too). We cannot be there during the chagim because family.

We cannot afford most places to stay so we stay where we can. A/C is nice, but when we go, we want to be out and do stuff. Beggars cannot be choosers basically.

If we rented an apartment, which we CANNOT, it would be for the price of something huge and/or luxurious in many other places, especially tailoring in the plane cost (600 euro for my own ticket last time). So, this is what we can do unless someone wants to invite us in a location that makes sense for our family Smile (joking)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:22 am
Not sure why I got a heart. We love our trips and circuits, we love being in the fresh and exposing the kids to various countries and languages. Every day another activity, bh! Even though we're always happy to be back home. BH for paid weeks off... in some places after you take chagim and chol hamoed there isn't much left.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:24 am
Alaska doesn't have any kosher restaurants, but it's still part of the US, so national brands and products that are under O-U, etc., that you can get in major chains can usually be found there as well. For Shabbos, I believe that Chabad of Anchorage is the only place in the state with a reliable minyan and meal options, unless you're going on an organized cruise.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics