Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Library on Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:26 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Agreed. Then again, we often see frum people in the library on Shabbat.

And we see plenty of people with cell phones at the park. When the ice cream truck comes, its easy to tell who is a Shomer Shabbat Jew. But we don't stop going there

Also agree.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:53 am
Amarante wrote:
Not to play devil's advocate but what difference does it make if people around you are on a computer. If one walks out of one's house, there will be people driving; people using the phone; stores open and all kinds of other activities that are not done on Shabbos by the frum.

While the role of the library has expanded with new forms of communication, I think the activity that most people immediately associate with a library is people looking at paper books and reading quietly.

The library is not exactly Satan's den of iniquity. One can be in a building where electricity is being turned on or off or appliances are being used and one doesn't generally think that one is going to be tainted by what others are doing around them. Undoubted someone is tearing toilet paper somewhere LOL The list of things being done in proximity is endless and unavoidable unless one never leaves one's home or else lives an extremely isolated existence.

Why is using an iPad different than someone using paper and pencil to write down stuff. Would one balk at being in a place where people were writing?

Keeping Shabbos is a real challenge for many people especially children/teenagers. I find that it's easier when I'm in an environment where people are keeping Shabbos and engaging in Shabosdik activities. Sure we walk down the streets and see cars and stores operating but there's a big difference when it's something we pass as a means to get somewhere versus sitting down next to them for a long period of time.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 12:56 pm
We talk about minhag hamakom a lot. While I am not an advocate of doing things for impressions there is this question: will your kids be marginalized in any way for doing it?

And let me edit: instead of AYR (ask your rav, the one you have already) how about CYR, consult? There is more here than the simple y/n, but a discussion you will find very productive with someone you respect IRL.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note