Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it just my family?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:01 pm
Dish soap for oil, food, dirt stains as a pretreater. Make sure to rinse off the soap before putting the clothes in the machine as the suds are no good for the washing machine.

zigi

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:12 pm
As soon as there is a stain. Soak and treat it. I have some cheaper clothes like white shirts so if they are ruined I don't mind and replace them my kids eat messy foods in playclothes at home

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I think she was speachless.

Maybe she wanted to show us how squeaky clean she is....

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:27 pm
zigi wrote:
As soon as there is a stain. Soak and treat it. I have some cheaper clothes like white shirts so if they are ruined I don't mind and replace them my kids eat messy foods in playclothes at home

Your post raised another issue, my kids all had play clothes. If the op is tossing the kids clothes into the bin after soiling what are they using for play clothes? New disposable clothes? What do kids learn from this?

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

allcuteonesrtak

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
zaq, how did you manage to post a blank reply? LOL

Press the space bar.
I'll demonstrate below:

Last edited by allcuteonesrtak on Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

allcuteonesrtak

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:33 pm

zigi

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:45 pm
She said at the end of the season not every time it gets stained. I do keep some stained clothes for hand me downs if it is a small stain or at the knees. Even if I buy new I know that the baby will make the knees stained etc. I keep it for shabbos clothes at home or regular clothes to wear if we arent leaving the house.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Dish soap for oil, food, dirt stains as a pretreater. Make sure to rinse off the soap before putting the clothes in the machine as the suds are no good for the washing machine.

Interesting! You use it instead of Nature Bright or Clorox?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:04 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Interesting! You use it instead of Nature Bright or Clorox?

I start with that. It breaks down the grease and food. Nature Brite or Oxiclean come later if necessary because those don't work for everything and hot water is necessary for those, which can set in stains that they don't have power over.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:06 pm
allcuteonesrtak wrote:

Cool!

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:43 pm
Oh, please don't throw clothes in the garbage. Donate them to a thrift shop. Somebody will want them. Reuse them for other things. See if they can be composted. But please don't send them to landfill.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:49 pm
Most of the t-shirt and shorts are $5-10 from stores like children's place the staines are far worse on their cotton summer clothes. And not just food staines. Ds gets the back of his shorts dirty from playing outside. The slides are filthy at the playground I dont know how to get the blackness clean so at the end of the season the whole back of his shorts besides his black ones have black spots all over. He is still so little I like to buy other dark colors other than black but the dirt shows up on all of them. I hate throwing clothes out! but no one want cheap stained clothes

loveit

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 10:59 pm
shampoo is also fantastic for oil stains, like PP mentioned don't let the clothes go through the dryer if the stain is still there, the heat will set it. Also, the sun is a natural bleaching agent so for white items you can let them air dry in the sun and it often works

lfab

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:58 am
Oxiclean is my magic potion. It takes out (almost) all stains. I mix the powder with water in a bucket, pretreat the stain with oxiclean spray and scrub to get out as much as I can. I then leave the garment soaking in the bucket for several hours (don't leave too long as that will wear out/fade the clothes). I rinse everything off and check to see if the stain came out, wash, and check again before drying. I find that nearly all stains (including the black filth on the back of the pants that you described) comes out with oxiclean. Here and there there are just a few stubborn stains that can't be removed (ie. the paint on DD's t-shirt from when camp took them to a pottery place). Also, I find that some fruits, like the juice from oranges, are really hard to get out.

perquacky

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:06 am
Another vote for soaking in a bucket of OxyClean. And adding OxyClean powder to the wash. It really does get out most stains.

frumPA

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:12 am
I do oxi clean too! works wonder majority of the time.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:28 pm
Yes, I spray all my stains with oxi clean and they come out.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:29 pm
I save a lot of the dingy shirts for the fall/winter to be worn under a sweater.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:53 pm
My kids clothing gets totally dirty and stained in day camp, they literally come home filthy! I try my best to get out the stains but I still keep the stained clothing for the next kid- to wear to camp where I know it will get ruined anyway. My kids have some clothes totally stained with paint. They wear it to camp so I don't have to worry about their clothes. And most of it is $2-4 stuff from children's place or target, old Navy clearance.
They also have some clothes (that I also buy cheap on clearance) that is saved for less filthy occasions.

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 4:08 pm
To the OP: it sounds like you're doing what works for you. I don't think it's what most families do, but it's working for you. I have a mix of "fancier" clothing and play clothing. I usually bring a set of play clothing with me everywhere I go. I even have nicer shabbos clothing and cheaper clothing for him- he wears the nicer to shul and usually the cheaper to play in for the rest of the day.
I cover him up when he eats. I seriously try to cover up as much of him as possible.

Some people don't care about small stains. Children are messy. They have fun and get messy.

Cleaning stains ASAP is super important. If you don't have time to scrub and deal with it right away at least soak the clothing in cool water with a little soap in it.

For those who are saying to not throw clothes away- if they were cheap quality they usually don't last long anyway.

It does take a bit more effort to own nicer clothing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics