Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How much of a tuition break do Rebbeim/Moros get?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:35 am
Some don't. Some a bit. Some a lot. Some free.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
Sorry but some people here are extremely extremely naive

I'm not naive. I'm the daughter of a Mechanech, and a very good and passionate one at that. I know that my father is somewhat Yotzei Min HaKlaal in that sense, but don't you fool yourself that I grew up even close to financially comfortable. I didn't. Oh, and I come from a small family so the most number of kids that were in the school where my father taught was 2. And to answer the OP, as a Rebbe he was not getting free tuition. As an administrator maybe (and even then I'm not sure).

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:37 am
We live very oot. Dh teaches full time in the high school, and we pay only 10% tuition for our children once they are enrolled in the school. So far only 1 child is that age, but we sure appreciate the relief now. So yes, it's a significant boon to his salary, but it's not like our kids are going to school for free (and it takes many years of paying tuition to reach high school, btw). And dh could make a lot more money working in another field, but he is passionate about what he does and loves being a rebbe. Anyone who goes into this field just for the tuition breaks is a fool. And as mentioned above, tuition breaks for a teachers child is kind of like the benefits package you'd get at another job. No one teases the healthcare worker for getting health insurance at a reduced rate from her hospital, or begrudges the free city parking or gym membership someone else gets from their job. So why are we always harping on the teachers?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
No one teases the healthcare worker for getting health insurance at a reduced rate from her hospital, or begrudges the free city parking or gym membership someone else gets from their job. So why are we always harping on the teachers?

Because tuition costs a little more than a gym membership.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
Because tuition costs a little more than a gym membership.

No one is talking about gym membership. Reduced-cost healthcare is a HUGE perk. Does anyone complain that healthcare workers are entitled to that? The benefits of that are likely much greater than tuition.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:07 am
out-of-towner wrote:
No one is talking about gym membership. Reduced-cost healthcare is a HUGE perk. Does anyone complain that healthcare workers are entitled to that? The benefits of that are likely much greater than tuition.

This!

There are probably more people who are forced to leave chinuch (in favor of a job with benefits) due to the prohibitive cost of medical insurance than people who go into chinuch for the sake of a tuition break.

Also, as others have said, schools that offer tuition breaks to teachers are generally paying very low salaries. The MO school where I teach, which pays a more decent salary (though still not like anyone is getting rich of course), does not give a significant break to teachers. (And, I might add, does not offer medical benefits).

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:04 pm
I don't send my children to the school where I teach but those who do get free tuition. Tristate area.

My problem with this arrangement is that it keeps incompetent teachers on staff. Teachers who are overwhelmed by life's stresses and continue to teach because they can't afford to lose their meager salary AND need to start paying tuition. So you have older, burnt out, out-of-touch teachers whom the school can't get rid of...

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
I don't send my children to the school where I teach but those who do get free tuition. Tristate area.

My problem with this arrangement is that it keeps incompetent teachers on staff. Teachers who are overwhelmed by life's stresses and continue to teach because they can't afford to lose their meager salary AND need to start paying tuition. So you have older, burnt out, out-of-touch teachers whom the school can't get rid of...

Why can't the school get rid of them?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
Why can't the school get rid of them?
because you can't just fire a veteran teacher without cause

May

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:09 pm
I haven't seen that to be a problem. In the school my children go to some of the teachers have been there for 3-4 decades but they are amazing teachers. I like when my children have a mix of the veteran teachers and the new fresh teachers.
But if your veteran teachers are not so amazing and are staying just for the tuition break, they will probably not stay on much longer because for how many years will they continue having children in school if they are so old???

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:53 pm
I'm a morah OOT and DH is a rebbe at the same school. For teaching couples, tuition is free. I'm not sure how it works if only the husband or only the wife teaches.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:54 pm
May wrote:
I haven't seen that to be a problem. In the school my children go to some of the teachers have been there for 3-4 decades but they are amazing teachers. I like when my children have a mix of the veteran teachers and the new fresh teachers.
But if your veteran teachers are not so amazing and are staying just for the tuition break, they will probably not stay on much longer because for how many years will they continue having children in school if they are so old???
they started when tehy were fresh and had 3 kids under the age of five. they are already marrying off kids and ultra busy with life but they dont let go of their job.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 12:38 pm
my mom teaches. The school she teaches in doesn't offer any break for teachers. Years ago she taught in a different school, and they offered 100%, but they also finished paying what they owed her about 4-5 years after she stopped working for them.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
I live oot where tuition is over 15k. A rebbe with 6 children who isn't paying tuition is basically getting a, 90K bonus on top of his salary... He's making a lot more than most of the working fathers of the kinderlach he's teaching.

So good for him. I know a lawyer that also makes a lot more then the fathers of those kinderlach. What's your point?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 2:08 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So good for him. I know a lawyer that also makes a lot more then the fathers of those kinderlach. What's your point?

Yes sorry it seems extremely unfair to pple like me, my husband and I work extremely hard and barely make ends meet...
She is talking for us

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
Yes sorry it seems extremely unfair to pple like me, my husband and I work extremely hard and barely make ends meet...
She is talking for us

So rebbes don't work hard?

And since they have it so easy, it's unfair that they get this particular perk of their job.

Is that what you are saying?

Why doesn't your husband become a rebbe? Then you guys can also have it easy and live simple, easy lives of luxury.

Problem solved.

petiteruchy

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 2:35 pm
I don't get the animosity. It's a perk of the job. Of course, there are also other upsides to teaching at the school where your children go, depending on the school culture - being able to check up on your kids and get a better idea of how they are doing, getting to know the staff and teachers that work with them, being able to bring them along to ped days, being able to pick them up without any commute.

Basically, if this was such an amazing perk that makes it totally unfair for all the working parents out there, then you could have also picked this as your field. Fact is, most people go into the teaching field before they're married or having kids, so while some people do "fall into" teaching rather than specifically choosing it, they would have to be very calculating indeed to land into this career at 20, get a full time job at the school they want to send their kids to, AND then magically have all the right gender of child to get the maximum benefit. Imagine the chagrin of the rebbe who went into teaching for the amazing free tuition perks who then had 10 girls in a row? Or no children at all?

But if you really do think this is such an unfair perk, by all means, quit your job, get the appropriate training, and jump right into this wide open field, that somehow doesn't have any competition at all (necessitating the tuition break perks in the first place) yet is also a super easy and overpaid job.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
they started when tehy were fresh and had 3 kids under the age of five. they are already marrying off kids and ultra busy with life but they dont let go of their job.

I'm not sure what this has to do with teaching specifically. Most people start a career when they are young and have fewer responsibilities. Then life gets busier, but they keep working because they need to make a living. Do most people you know "let go of their jobs" when life gets busy?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics