Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Worried my toddler will want the non-kosher food...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:48 am
I'm going back to my home country to see my family next week, and will be bringing my toddler with me. For a while I've been wanting to get in touch with my friends from high school (not Jewish and Jewish but not frum), so I reached out to a few of them to arrange a meet-up when I'm there.

One of them suggested a picnic and everyone else was really excited about that, and bringing our kids. This person runs a non-kosher cake company and she said she would bring cup cakes for everyone - and of course everyone else loved the idea.

But I don't know how I can manage bringing my toddler to this event with all the non-kosher food that she'll surely want. Even if I bring my own kosher cakes I'm not sure it will stop her from wanting what everyone else has.

I should mention that my friends know I'm Jewish but don't really know how religious I've become, and I don't want to make a big deal of it.

Any advice?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:56 am
Bring your own cup cakes and tell your toddler before hand. I honestly doubt a toddler cares which cup cake they get. And if they do, it's a perfect opportunity to teach them about kosher.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
I'm going back to my home country to see my family next week, and will be bringing my toddler with me. For a while I've been wanting to get in touch with my friends from high school (not Jewish and Jewish but not frum), so I reached out to a few of them to arrange a meet-up when I'm there.

One of them suggested a picnic and everyone else was really excited about that, and bringing our kids. This person runs a non-kosher cake company and she said she would bring cup cakes for everyone - and of course everyone else loved the idea.

But I don't know how I can manage bringing my toddler to this event with all the non-kosher food that she'll surely want. Even if I bring my own kosher cakes I'm not sure it will stop her from wanting what everyone else has.

I should mention that my friends know I'm Jewish but don't really know how religious I've become, and I don't want to make a big deal of it.

Any advice?

If u bring cupcakes too why should your toddler know the difference?

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:46 am
Just get the information so you can match what she is bringing. If you want, you can bring an extra treat for her on the way home if she only takes your kosher food.

Be prepared to deal with other kids asking to try your food, it happens sometimes.

DS went to public preschool because of SN, and we dealt with this regularly. It was no big deal.

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:19 pm
It wont even be so horrible if she does end up wanting what everyone else has. I don't think you need to be so worried about it. Explain beforehand so she's somewhat prepared. Try to find out what kid of cupcakes they'll be having and bring something similar. As imasinger said it's often the other kids that want what the kid who is having something else has (happened to me when I was the only one keeping kosher in school/camp and happens in the school I work in with the kids who have food allergies).
Go and enjoy meeting up with your friends.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:56 pm
Thanks for the advice, everyone. She's almost 2, so not capable of understanding explanation that is not kosher yet. But I guess I'll go all out and get her some nice treats instead.

Miri7

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:28 pm
Get or make some cupcakes and have her put sprinkles or whatever on them so she will be excited about eating that particular cupcake.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the advice, everyone. She's almost 2, so not capable of understanding explanation that is not kosher yet. But I guess I'll go all out and get her some nice treats instead.

Even a toddler can understand "our food / their food". They can also understand "special treat just for you."

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:

If she's not capable of understanding not kosher, how is she capable of understanding that her cupcake is a bit different? I think you are overthinking this to much.

Sake

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 3:50 pm
"That's yucky" is a good way to tell a 2 year old not to eat something.

If you think objectively and not emotionally, sending an email in advance or mentioning while you are out that you eat Kosher doesn't really mean that you are hyper frum. It means something only superficial and interesting to non jews, and would mean something akin to their own observance to jews.

Maybe think of it like saying you are vegetarian or gluten free. There is a chance that your hesitation is only a block inside yourself and once you start saying it out loud, you'll become more and more comfortable.

little_mage

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 10:51 am
Have lots of other food, including the extra cupcakes. Yes, your two year old is going to want the food other kids have. No, she's not going to understand, "that's not kosher," but I'd tell her that anyway. What I do with my kids is I tell them stuff isn't kosher and try to montor their eating. On the other hand, if/when they get something that isn't kosher, I ignore it, and pretend it didn't happen. It's hard. I know. But I refuse to let issues like this get between me and old friends/family, so we make it work.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:10 am
Sake wrote:
"That's yucky" is a good way to tell a 2 year old not to eat something.

If you think objectively and not emotionally, sending an email in advance or mentioning while you are out that you eat Kosher doesn't really mean that you are hyper frum. It means something only superficial and interesting to non jews, and would mean something akin to their own observance to jews.

Maybe think of it like saying you are vegetarian or gluten free. There is a chance that your hesitation is only a block inside yourself and once you start saying it out loud, you'll become more and more comfortable.

I would just be careful of calling a good my friend made "yucky" in their ear shot. Better just to be honest about the kosher issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics