Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Teasable names

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 11:46 am
Would you call your child by a name that can be easily teased? (like "Bossy Basi")
What if you really wanted to name for a relative with that name, would you change the name to avoid teasing?

nursemomma

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 11:55 am
If it's a regular, commonly used name, then yes. But I wouldn't use a name that is unique and easily teased.

agreer

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 11:59 am
Yes, I would name the child what I want to name so long as it's not too unique. Bassi is a common name. It will build resilience.

Unfortunately, kids can tease any name. Ex: a boy's name is Chaim Klein. His classmate hates him so he calls him Kaki Klein... what can you really do about that?

essie14

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 3:17 pm
Kids will find a way to tease no matter what.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 3:59 pm
If it's an unusual name then you should definitely add on another name as well so that they have a choice between the two names when they grow up.

Personally, even though I would give the name if it was naming after someone very close, I would only call them by the second name as well (for their sake), but suppose it depends on how unusual it is.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 10:59 pm
OP here. The name actually IS Basi. I don't consider it "unusual" and if she doesn't like being called Basi then she can always go by the full name Basya/Batya when she gets older. I think it's a beautiful name. I just wouldn't want to make her an easy target for teasing.

sleepybeauty

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. The name actually IS Basi. I don't consider it "unusual" and if she doesn't like being called Basi then she can always go by the full name Basya/Batya when she gets older. I think it's a beautiful name. I just wouldn't want to make her an easy target for teasing.

I don't think you have to worry unless it's a really uncommon, funny sounding name.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jul 29 2017, 11:34 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
I don't think you have to worry unless it's a really uncommon, funny sounding name.

Even that is subjective. My Dd's middle name is Vichna, after a relative. We have no Shaychus to the Kaplans from Bais Yaakov of Boro Park (the founder was Rebbitzen Vichna Kaplans AH, who is probably the most commonly known Vichna), where the name would be considered "normal" and meaningful to those around her. None of our other family members have used this name, but it means a lot to us. I did add a "normal" name as a first name, for another relative, but again normal and funny sounding are both very subjective terms.

sirel

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:48 am
Any name can be made fun of, OP. I don't see Basi standing out in that way.

Personally, I wouldn't not name a name for teasing reasons. I know a few people with "funny" names (obviously subjective) and they have self confidence, social standing, and it didn't bother them a day in their lives.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:53 am
I have been teased my whole life about my name. Also tried to go by my middle name but it didnt stick. I still have a complex about my name at 40. Please dont try to be unique. Its really not funny.

Sadie

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:05 am
The fact is, if a child is "cool" then everything about them will seem cool to other kids, even a weird name. If a child is uncool, anything about them can be used for teasing. There's not much you can do except try to raise your child to have to have self confidence.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 5:13 am
I wish I had a unique name, though BH I'm so happy to be named for my grandmother.

Any name can be teased. And if not, then they'll tease something else or make up an unrelated bad nickname. Bossy Basi? I would not think of that.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:03 pm
When I was little, we constantly teased someone named Bassy by calling her Bossy Bassy. Obviously I'm embarrassed about it now. I think some names are more teasable than others. That doesn't mean you shouldn't name your daughter Basya - it's a beautiful name! But you may want to think twice about using Bassi as a nickname.

For reference, I also have an unusual name, which is often a boy's name, and as an adult I still get teased about it or have comments made. Teasing and comments don't end just because you grow up and aren't hanging around kids who don't know any better.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:24 am
As adults? I haven't seen, unless the name is really really bad. And even then, most normal people abstain.

wiki

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:16 am
Easy.

If you want to name her Basya and you're scared of "Bossy" as a nickname, simply DON'T call her "Bassy". Call her Basya or Batya and be insistent not to use the nickname.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:35 am
Sadie wrote:
The fact is, if a child is "cool" then everything about them will seem cool to other kids, even a weird name. If a child is uncool, anything about them can be used for teasing. There's not much you can do except try to raise your child to have to have self confidence.

This. I don't know if my son is cool but he is very confident. He has a cute nickname that we call him by which I don't think I realized is very easily teasible, but I think the only one who's teased him is his sibling who only did it for a very brief period of time.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:37 am
Re the name bassy - I have a friend with that name and never even thought of it as teasible. I think the bigger problem you'd have to deal with would be the bossiness..

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:43 am
Thanks for the feedback. I actually really like the nickname Bassi, I just worry about the teasing potential. Maybe there's another, similar nickname?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:03 pm
I love the name Bassi.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 3:24 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I love the name Bassi.

Thanks! (so do I, obviously) ;-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names