Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Rivka Schoenfeld SOS

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:05 pm
My 19 y/o daughter is leaving for sem in EY in a month. She has reached out to Mrs Schoenfeld in Flatbush about counseling for some minor social awkwardness, and I'm looking for feedback.
We live in an OOT community, and it would involve about 4 hours drive each way for an appointment. And Mrs Schoenfeld doesn't take insurance; her fees are $300/session. Seeing a social worker who accepts BC/BS would be a $9/visit copay.
Is an appointment dafka with her worth the time and financial investment?
Please feel free to PM any negative replies.
Thanks.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:21 pm
I don't know about Mrs Schoenfeld, but I'm writing to say how impressed I am with your daughter that she reached out for help.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:24 pm
No. Most therapists have more training than she does in this area, and there's no reason to pay so much at all. I don't think any therapist is worth a 4 hour drive regardless. It's not realistic at all, for so many reasons.

Optione

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:32 pm
Ditto to seafoam and babyblue.
Did your daughter specifically reach out to her because she sees her advertised everywhere? If so, I think you should bring her to someone local.
And no one should be charging $300 for one therapy session, regardless how long it is. (Barring a thorough one time consultation from someone extremely reputable and qualified.)

momofqts

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:42 pm
She has great advertising bit is not actually licensed

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 9:37 pm
Wherever you live you can find someone who is actually qualified, and a lot more skilled, for a whole lot less money.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:07 am
Cant PM you if you're amother. Can u PM me?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:18 am
What kind of help is your daughter looking for? Her Masters is in education so if it's an academic issue and $300 is the consult fee...

If it is for social/emotional stuff, I highly recommend finding an excellent licensed social worker or psychologist

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
What kind of help is your daughter looking for? Her Masters is in education so if it's an academic issue and $300 is the consult fee...

If it is for social/emotional stuff, I highly recommend finding an excellent licensed social worker or psychologist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't be believe She even has a masters in education. I don't think she has any masters at all. 300 is just insane I'm sorry. I pay 200 for highly qualified emdr/ trauma therapist, so 300 for social skills from someone with no degree seems crazy to me. Even without traveling 4 hours each way.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
My 19 y/o daughter is leaving for sem in EY in a month. She has reached out to Mrs Schoenfeld in Flatbush about counseling for some minor social awkwardness, and I'm looking for feedback.
We live in an OOT community, and it would involve about 4 hours drive each way for an appointment. And Mrs Schoenfeld doesn't take insurance; her fees are $300/session. Seeing a social worker who accepts BC/BS would be a $9/visit copay.
Is an appointment dafka with her worth the time and financial investment?
Please feel free to PM any negative replies.
Thanks.

That's an insane amount of money to pay for someone who is not qualified to offer those services.

I'm sure there are plenty of qualified social workers who specialized in social skills in Flatbush, for alot less $$$.

I was just thinking also, that I know someone who went to a therapist for social issues in E"Y during her seminary year. I believe it was in Har Nof. I can get you the name if you are interested. I know that many people do this during their seminary year. There are many qualified therapists living in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children