Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you tip your kids' counselors?
1  2  Next

Yes - I am Yeshivish  
 27%  [ 59 ]
Yes - I am Modern Yeshivish  
 11%  [ 24 ]
Yes - I am Modern Orthodox  
 10%  [ 23 ]
Yes - I am Chassidish  
 32%  [ 70 ]
No - I am Yeshivish  
 6%  [ 13 ]
No - I am Modern Yeshivish  
 3%  [ 7 ]
No - I am Modern Orthodox  
 4%  [ 9 ]
No - I am Chassidish  
 4%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 214

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 10:50 am

cm

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 11:23 am
I voted "yes," but with the following clarification:

At camps that permit tipping and give a suggested tip sheet - yes.

At camps with a no-tipping policy - no.

At special-interest day camps (sports, crafts, etc), which are expensive and much shorter than a full camp session - usually not. It depends on special circumstances.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 12:18 pm
No one in my world.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 12:19 pm
What does affiliation have to do with tipping?

leah233

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 12:51 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What does affiliation have to do with tipping?

Not the OP but the attitude towards tipping can be different in different cultures. Therefor it makes sense to ask about affiliation.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 1:02 pm
leah233 wrote:
Not the OP but the attitude towards tipping can be different in different cultures. Therefor it makes sense to ask about affiliation.

It has a lot more to do with the culture of the camp then anything else.

A better question would be: Does your kids camp expect you to tip? What is the 'affiliation" of your camp. (and even then... not sure what the point of this is...)

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:

A better question would be: Does your kids camp expect you to tip? What is the 'affiliation" of your camp. (and even then... not sure what the point of this is...)

My ds is a counselor at a boys' camp in Brooklyn. They have both Yeshivish and Modern Orthodox campers. My ds told me that all the staff at this camp say that the boys from Modern Orthodox schools hardly ever tip.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:15 pm
Yes. Just plain frum bais yaakov family with no ties to yeshiva community or chassidish community so I didn't get to vote.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:33 pm
I don't identify as any of the both, but I do tip.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 2:37 pm
I tip when tipping is expected, and I give the full amount. I give more (than the suggested tip) for a great job. I've also tipped counselors when not expected, if I felt they did a particularly good job with my child.

So when DD had no particular like for her counselor, but tipping was expected/suggested, I gave the full amount. To a counselor who went out of her way, I gave even more. To a counselor who was not very nice to DD, and no suggested tip, I gave nothing.

I'm yeshivish.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 4:08 pm
By the time I finish paying for camp I cannot afford more expenses. Just can't afford it but camps do recommend tipping.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 4:14 pm
in my kids camp, tipping is expected, and therefore I tip. It is not easy for me- tips are expensive and I do not have extra cash. However, this is part of sending kids to camps that expect tipping for the counselors. the first year I was shocked because I had no clue this was coming. But now I know that it is part of the expense of camp and I plan accordingly.

I do not neatly fit into any of the above categories so I did not vote.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:
My ds is a counselor at a boys' camp in Brooklyn. They have both Yeshivish and Modern Orthodox campers. My ds told me that all the staff at this camp say that the boys from Modern Orthodox schools hardly ever tip.

Which is not to say that the MO parents are stingy - they just aren't aware that this is the social norm... at this camp apparently.

(I'm MO - I would never hand over cash to a teacher, counselor etc.... its just not 'normal' for me..).

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:

Not true it has to do with the bunk. My mother works in a day camp that has two types of crowds within the day camp and she knows that when she gets a certain crowd she will expect very little tips.

I worked in Chasidish and non chasidish schools and the meshloach monos from the chasidish schools as far better. But it doesn't mean that parents don't expect more from you either. (Like being very into their child attention etc.)

happy mommy6

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:25 pm
I give a small gift certificate to ice cream...and thank you note.
I pay enough for camp, but counselors deserve somthing for all their hard work.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:07 am
Here's a question:
In a backyard type daycamp, run by one woman, where she is the director and also the counselor, it's just her and the campers, no other counselors. The camp fee/tuition goes directly to her. Would you tip? Does it depend on how well the kids liked her/daycamp? Or since she gets all the money, tipping extra makes no sense?

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:12 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Here's a question:
In a backyard type daycamp, run by one woman, where she is the director and also the counselor, it's just her and the campers, no other counselors. The camp fee/tuition goes directly to her. Would you tip? Does it depend on how well the kids liked her/daycamp? Or since she gets all the money, tipping extra makes no sense?

I would not tip her the same way I dont tip my kids head counselors or division heads.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 10:17 am
I tip all counselors. Sometimes it's just a bit-- this is day camp-- but I always tip something

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 11:55 am
Don't think you need to tip in that instance. You can write a note, send a kugel for shabbos☺

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Don't think you need to tip in that instance. You can write a note, send a kugel for shabbos☺

Don't. Just don't.

My 16 year old, who has watched your child for 10 hours a day, over the course of 7 weeks, made things fun for her, mediated her petty disputes, helped her into her bathing suit and helped her find her shoes, all for the royal sum of $100 a week, doesn't want your kugel. She's going to throw it in the trash, and if she doesn't I will. I don't know what you put in it. I don't know if you even really keep kosher. And even if was delicious at some point, its not after the 12 hours that it sat out.

If your camp recommends tips, and you're too cheap to give a tip, then don't try to assuage your guilt by giving my kid trash.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children