Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you buy/wear second hand clothes
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:24 pm
pesek zman wrote:
The goodwill in my neighborhood is fabulous and I've bought amazing things. I absolutely wear secondhand clothes

Can you recommend a good Goodwill in Brooklyn or Manhattan?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 7:32 pm
90% of my wardrobe is from thrift stores or Ebay. I have a fabulous designer collection of very high end lables - all for next to nothing.

Of course I buy stockings and underwear new. With the money I save shopping thrift, I can afford to buy myself very expensive undies, and get exactly what I want. It balances out great.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:19 pm
I dont shop in second hand stores but if a neighbor or sibiling gave me something that no longer fits them or something I would definitely wear it.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
Can you recommend a good Goodwill in Brooklyn or Manhattan?

My favorite is on 79th off Broadway. I literally bought a mink coat there. There are several through out the city that sell really wonderful high ends stuff

cholenteater

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:39 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I wouldn't buy it from a thrift shop if I don't know who wore it. If it's secondhand from a friend or sister I would.

Same here!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:42 pm
There is a Jr. League Thrift Store in Roslyn LI that is worth the schlep. I will do the pilgrimage with my cousin next month. It's worth the drive. Clothes are fantastic, ironed and cleaned, lots of mens white LS shirts of excellent quality and fantastic crystal and home items. I highly advise a road trip for committed thrifters.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:49 pm
I love thrift shops! For me and for kids.

I'm not a 90%er, because my favorite skirts are only available online, but when I visit Lakewood, I do very well at Serendipity (formerly Deja New).

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:58 pm
(Raising hand.) Absolutely. I have an Eileen Fisher sweater for $3 (half off) from the Purple Heart Thrift Shop (Value Village/World); I think they didn't have a clue when they priced it. And I sell clothes to for-profit stores and have found marvelous clothes, including a $20 Eileen Fisher skirt I wear for Shabbos.
I don't know when I last bought a new pocketbook.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:20 pm
I would buy second hand brand names from heimishe stores but with a little caution. A person needs to self respect herself a bit . Have a shminit shebeshminit gaava.... .When you buy a not labeled thing I mean it no tag like maison por enfant no chidrens place tag...and it's from a heimishe used store it may be from a custom made thing so be carefull if you will clothe your child with something that belonged exclusively from someone in the neighborhood. If it has a label from a store then you know it was not an exclusive piece. Or anything on ebay should be OK. I love buying used! I wish I knew and went with company to good used stores. For a while I used to buy brand name shoes. Then I got scared of fungus. Now im looking into used shoe just browsed recently on eBay Fun! If I get fungus ill treat big deal . And im not even sure if you can catch from others like this. Make sure the seller has a good rating and many days to return. To my kids 95 percent of the time I dont say its a top from ebay. Ill say my friend offered from her family . this doesn't apply to things that your neighborhood always buys used. For example. In my neighborhood its comon to buy used sister of the bride gowns. So that you dont have to worry about even if it has no label . People are ok buying used of this here even if it was custom made.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:31 pm
agreer wrote:
I guess I'm the disagreer this time.

It would bother me.

But I also don't share germs with friends.

I just can't get over the fact that someone else wore it... I know, I know, people try on clothing in the dressing room all the time before me... but no, I can't do vintage... But it's my loss! I see nothing wrong with it, I just can't do it.

If you really wish you did here is my eitza. Try it. Either put in a bag and seal tightly for abour 4 weeks. Then wash it. It kills any germ bug etc ect I better not name the bugs here. Or send to drycleaners if its a drycleana le thing. Some rare fabrics are not dry cleanable. Ask the store.. Drycleaners also kils bugs. I e done such things in the past. Someone oferered me something beautiful but she told me a few days before by chance (no by chance in this world) that she had moths. So I sealed very tight and went to the cleaners.

mame1

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:41 pm
No, I have no problem with second hand clothes. You don't even realize, but people that work in clothing stores wear the clothes off the hanger, then put them back on the hanger. It doesn't happen in department stores, but in smaller boutiques. I know several people who have done that. And, people return things. Where do you think those clothes go? Back on the hanger. Anyway, you should always wash something when you buy it.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:
(Raising hand.) Absolutely. I have an Eileen Fisher sweater for $3 (half off) from the Purple Heart Thrift Shop (Value Village/World); I think they didn't have a clue when they priced it. And I sell clothes to for-profit stores and have found marvelous clothes, including a $20 Eileen Fisher skirt I wear for Shabbos.
I don't know when I last bought a new pocketbook.

I googled " Purple Heart Thrift Shop " nyc and didn't find could you help? Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:29 am
amother wrote:
I would buy second hand brand names from heimishe stores but with a little caution. A person needs to self respect herself a bit . Have a shminit shebeshminit gaava.... .When you buy a not labeled thing I mean it no tag like maison por enfant no chidrens place tag...and it's from a heimishe used store it may be from a custom made thing so be carefull if you will clothe your child with something that belonged exclusively from someone in the neighborhood..

I think I have pretty good self-esteem even though I do thrift shop shopping. I save the shmini sheb'shminis for other things. Wink Actually, scratch that. I really don't feel lesser for dong this. I think that even if I had more money I'd still do it sometime.

I don't buy for my kids, though occasionally I'll pick up something that I just can't resist. They do resale shopping but don't do non-profit.

I should mention these aren't heimish resale stores. It's been tried locally and failed. And for sure my kids never wanted to go there because of the higher odds of wearing something someone will recognize.

ETA: If I didn't shop in resale stores, I would have a very small wardrobe or else a very cheap, frumpy and downright ugly wardrobe. So it's definitely a self-respect thing!

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
I googled " Purple Heart Thrift Shop " nyc and didn't find could you help? Thanks!

Maybe you don't have one. In some areas it goes under the name Value Village, now Value World.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:35 am
mame1 wrote:
No, I have no problem with second hand clothes. You don't even realize, but people that work in clothing stores wear the clothes off the hanger, then put them back on the hanger. It doesn't happen in department stores, but in smaller boutiques. I know several people who have done that. And, people return things. Where do you think those clothes go? Back on the hanger. Anyway, you should always wash something when you buy it.

Why?
Other items say wash before using. Why don't clothes labels mention it? Or is just so well-known?

ETA: I always wash resale clothes before wearing.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Aug 04 2017, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 8:41 am
I do. Also for the kids. (And I don't share germs either. But I'm not eating them, just wearing them). I always wash things first, regardless of whether they are new or used. I wouldn't buy second hand underwear. I also won't do second hand shoes, especially for my kids, as shoes mold to the feet of the person who wore them, and it's not good for your feet (and especially for kids' feet) to wear someone else's shoes.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 9:03 am
I don't so thrift shop or anything like that.

But I do do garage sales for home decorating amd kids toys.

We got an extra stroller in GREAT condition that reclines fully and with an easy push. In pristine condition for $10. At the end mils spare broke and we gifted it to her.
A bikecycle for $15, face fire place heater for $80. (Online it was priced at $400).

I do clothing handmedown from siblings and close famaily only. Mostly for my kids. They need next size every season
The thought of wearing Strangers clothing grosses me out.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 11:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Maybe you don't have one. In some areas it goes under the name Value Village, now Value World.

Thank for the reminder the VV is 18 miles aways but I'll take a ride up next week. I'm due to spend 3wks in Lkwd in Sept so I must get a wardrobe together.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics