Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Best places to eat in jerusalem

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 8:30 pm
I'm going to Israel soon and I really want to try out some great restaurants or any awesome eatery in jerusalem. I'm kind of a foodie so anything exotic or plain super delicious is good. I tried to research online but it's hard when I don't know the hechsherim off hand. Thank you all!

lora

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:00 pm
Red Heifer is pretty great, though I'm not "foody" I like cafe cafe and Gregs

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:49 pm
Do you keep mehadrin? Only for meat or for dairy / veggie as well? Ask your rabbi because I can think of at least 10 different mehadrin hechsherim I've seen in Yerushalayim, and there are different "strata" even within mehadrin hechsherim.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:50 pm
And once you figure it out, eLuna is a good (though not amazing) resource to narrow down your options. Yerushalayim is a large city with many tourists = many restaurants.

ProudMommie

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 11:24 pm
Actually there are very very few "amazing" restaurants in Yerushalaim that have mehadrin heksherim. There are many more yummy restaurants in Brooklyn to tell the truth. Yerushalaim is for learning Torah and davening, not eating as a sport. Most chareidi Israelis eat to live I think so more than people do in chutz. I am not trying to put down Americans, but chareidi israellis have a different relationship with food than we do.

As far as heksherim... Most frum/orthodox people from chutz eat in Badatz Eida Charedit and Rav Ruvin restaurants. And the pickings are not abundant. The best food I find ... is at home really. Nevertheless, there is Entrecote which has good food and usually if its bashert for you... good service. They are pricey but you are on vacation... There is also Rodriguez right there adjacent to Entrecote and it is probably good though I have not eaten there. These are meat places...in Har Hotzvim.

The red flashy pizza on Bar Ilan is good I think.
My favorite all time place for shwarma/kebabs is in Bucharin, very authentic and yummy. I am sure that there are places in Beit Yisroel that are good, though it is really busy and crowded there sometimes. My husband said there is a good shwarma place and an ok sushi place... it is right near Mir Yeshiva so it is a very special place.

If you hold to the highest mehadrin kashrus standards, the pickings are few here...

Oh, and I almost forgot... go to the Mahane Yehuda shuk... You can try Belz bread/dairy (try the different feta cheese if you like it) and Chatam Sofer. And a little bit watch yourself... there are some characters there who are looking for trusting Americans and will try to sell you much more than you ask.. and other such things...

There is nothing extraordinary here in terms of food. It is not a place for that...
Haifa is more a place for foodies... and there is a woman there who actually gives food tours... all kosher, though heksherim I am not sure. I can put you in touch with her if you will be visiting Haifa...

If you are into health, etc.. go to Aggripas and almost across the street from the first entrance into the shuk, there is a nature's choice bakery.. really good bread, cookies and cakes... etc. they have breads without yeast or other specialty breads... they also speak english. Right next to it is a very interesting small natural/health cafe whose owner is american and she has healthy/vegan salads, all kinds of yummy but weird looking sandwiches and other interesting creations (I.e. raw deserts)... Very unique.

Hatzlacha and enjoy being in the holy city.Smile

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 11:46 pm
ProudMommie wrote:
As far as heksherim... Most frum/orthodox people from chutz eat in Badatz Eida Charedit and Rav Ruvin restaurants.

I can assure you that many, many Orthodox Jews eat in restaurants with other hechshers.

Perhaps you are speaking of some particular subset of the frum community.

OP: It would be helpful if you could tell us what hechsherim you trust at home and people can suggest similar hecsherim here in E"Y.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 12:38 am
DrMom wrote:
I can assure you that many, many Orthodox Jews eat in restaurants with other hechshers.

I don't think she meant "eat only those hechsherim," just that those two are pretty much universally accepted so OP has a starting point. I actually know almost no one who only holds by those two -- even my relatives in Bnei Brak also hold by Landau Wink

Shuly

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 7:08 am
About hechsherim:
There is a hechsher called Rabbanut Mehadrin that most people eat, but not everyone does. So saying I only eat "Mehadrin" hechsherim doesn't really work in Israel.

Everyone eats Badatz Eidah Charedis.
Most people eat Rubin (called Badatz Mehadrin) too.
The following are the rest of the hechsherim, in order of popularity (for lack of a better word):
Landau, She'aris,
Belz, Agudas Yisroel
Chasam Sofer Bnei Brak, Chasam Sofer Petach Tikva, Machpud (Yoreh De'ah)
Rabbanut Mehadrin, OU Israel
Beis Yosef
Rabbanut Yerushalayim (and Rabbanut of other cities - each one is different)

Then there are hechsherim only for specific products:
Efrati which is for vegetables
Rav Weitman, Rav of Tnuva, for dairy.
There is also a Tnuva Mehadrin which people who don't eat regular Rav Weitman will eat - it's Rav Weitman, Belz and Chasam Sofer together.

About restaurants, we like these.
Entrecote, as mentioned above (Rubin)
Waffle Bar (in Ramat Eshkol and Givat Shaul they are Rubin)

These places are not at all fancy but the food is great and the experience is fun:
Maoz Shwarma on King George (Belz)
Felafel Miro, near the Mir (Badatz)
Pizza Uri in Geulah (Badatz) - separate seating for men and woman.
H Bagel in Geulah (located in the Angel's bakery off of Yechezkel, Badatz) - amazing salad bar!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 10:47 am
Op here, Thank you all so much all answers here are helpful and not offensive;). I realise that Israel is not a foodies destination. I just want to hear about some hidden gems. As far as myself -we are a pretty typical Flatbush family I cover my hair fully and my elbows and knees, my kids go to regular yeshiva here. I eat cholov stam, ou, ok, star k, chof k, cor, rabbi gornish. Not triangle k or tablet k,

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:01 am
I enjoyed the Brazilian steakhouse called " Papagayu". The ambiance is nice and the food was terrific.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Op here, Thank you all so much all answers here are helpful and not offensive;). I realise that Israel is not a foodies destination. I just want to hear about some hidden gems. As far as myself -we are a pretty typical Flatbush family I cover my hair fully and my elbows and knees, my kids go to regular yeshiva here. I eat cholov stam, ou, ok, star k, chof k, cor, rabbi gornish. Not triangle k or tablet k,

See the 3-page thread from a few weeks ago about 'must visit' restuarants in Jerusalem.
I think it was in the vacation/travelling forum.

Karnash

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 4:32 pm
If you are not restricted to the most stringent hechsherim, Israel can be a kosher foodie's paradise. Touro in Mishkenot Shaananim is wonderful - great food and the most wonderful setting.
Eucalyptus in Hutzot Hayotzer also has amazing food.

rabshi

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 6:43 am
I personally like Ricotta in Har Chotzvim Yerushalayim.

It's a fish & dairy restaraunt.

mumofthree

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 11:33 am
The Ami recently had a 7 week series of foodie stops in machne yehuda market. The food was more fast food style but exotic and different. Worth checking out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions