Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
12 weeks to 12 hours of sleep...

Maryann

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:24 pm
Any reviews on this book? Or recommendations /tips? (my baby is 6mths old if it matters) thank you everyone!

nnmom

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:28 pm
I didn't read it myself but my understanding is that you need to implement it when they are newborn. I could be wrong.
I know some women who have had great success. Ideal for a first kid (so schedule isn't interrupted by noisy siblings, premature wake ups to do carpool etc).

agreer

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:27 pm
I loved that book and also used it when my baby was 6 months old! However I just used it to help him sleep through the night and didn't care about the scheduling piece. It worked BH.

Basically, to get him to sleep thru the night, I increased his daytime feeding while decreasing his nighttime feeding. BH it took a few weeks and that was it

Hatzlacha

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 10:31 pm
I didn't realize this thread was in infants at first. Thought there was some way I could train myself to sleep fully every night embarrassed

Maryann

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 9:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
I didn't realize this thread was in infants at first. Thought there was some way I could train myself to sleep fully every night embarrassed
Very Happy

Maryann

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 9:49 am
agreer wrote:
I loved that book and also used it when my baby was 6 months old! However I just used it to help him sleep through the night and didn't care about the scheduling piece. It worked BH.

Basically, to get him to sleep thru the night, I increased his daytime feeding while decreasing his nighttime feeding. BH it took a few weeks and that was it

Hatzlacha

It's very hard to increase his daytime feeding.. Like I can't stuff him. He won't eat once he is full!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 11:11 am
Some babies simply can't go 12 hours (or even 4) without eating, even at six months.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 12:04 pm
I just finished reading it and I was overwhelmed!

idk my baby is 3 months old and 10 pounds, exactly the amount and age they say it works and my baby cannot stretch her feedings more than 3 hours no matter how hard I try!
im also trying to increase her daytime feedings but she just wont eat more, she knows how much she needs and then stops!

how do you decrease night feedings? only do 1 side? or just only feed for a few minutes?

agreer

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 1:22 pm
I don't know how it works for breastfed babies... I bottle fed and could decrease the ounces. I guess you could do only one side or reduce the number of minutes per feed.

To increase daytime feeding, I added an extra feeding right when he woke up. Instead of waiting till "breakfast", I said Modeh ani and fed him right away. It was the only way to get an extra bottle in, and that seemed to be what he needed.

Maryann

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 1:31 pm
agreer wrote:
I don't know how it works for breastfed babies... I bottle fed and could decrease the ounces. I guess you could do only one side or reduce the number of minutes per feed.

To increase daytime feeding, I added an extra feeding right when he woke up. Instead of waiting till "breakfast", I said Modeh ani and fed him right away. It was the only way to get an extra bottle in, and that seemed to be what he needed.

And then baby slept through the night?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 2:13 pm
I never did the book- but there are strategies to use to help facilitate nighttime sleep.
I have used this with three kids. Varying success depending on the temperament of the baby but all had a decent stretch by 3 months.
I fed the baby everyone they woke from a nap, from both breasts. I cluster fed all evening long (6-8pm ish). I never let them go more than 3 hours between feedings in the day. Often it was every two hours. I only fed them in the dark for night time feeds right from birth. No eye contact at all. Only changed diapers at night if they were dirty, not wet.

Have you tried these methods?
My first baby slept through the night with one 3am feeding at 3months. My second needed one to two feedings until 8 months. My third is 3 months now and sleeps 9-6 (sometimes 5) with zero feeding.

agreer

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 6:45 pm
Maryann wrote:
And then baby slept through the night?

Yes B"H but it was closer to 7 months by that time... I didn't discover this book till he was 6 months but I also don't think he could've eaten that much formula at 3 months old.

It took about 4-5 weeks to eliminate the night feedings and increase the day feedings, but B"H when he slept through the night for a week - I was a different person! Very Happy

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 7:18 pm
You can totally start at six months, I did it for my kids. I do not follow exactly… More like I work on scheduling their feedings and their bodies slowly adjust to sleeping longer periods of time. It was hard to get to four hours instead of every three hours but if you do it slowly you can work towards it. Obviously you don't want to starve your kid! I tried to push by 5-10 minutes at a time until they adjusted, then a little more, etc. when my baby really was hungry but it wasn't time, I would nurse for a couple minutes to keep them content until time for official feeding.
I didn't worry so much about nights feedings because as their feedings were more spaced during the day, my babies were full for longer and their sleep times stretched more and more.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics